Any Excel Function Experts Here?

I don’t think so, but I’ll give it a try anyway.

Me either. I was just thinking of translating word problems into equations.

I tend to agree that the problem may lie here. Note that all the text b vs p seem to work fine. I have had excel do some funky stuff with integers before. Ie: that cell says 17, but if you expand the number of decimal places, if may be 17.00000003. And the next one, just plain old 17. Maybe use a rnd round and then compare?

1 Like

Have you tried SQL or maybe Python?

2 Likes

almost guaranteed twojarslave is correct.
The alignment stands out as the warning that these are different. Pretty sure Excel formats text as left aligned and numbers right aligned by default, unless you change it manually.

You say that that column P is a lookup from another tab. Any chance that it is data from something like SAP? Nearly all exports of numbers from SAP are FUBARed into txt. Hate to think of the amount of time I have wasted looking for the error in my formula before I remember to check the raw data. You can adjust the data type in the format of the column - but that doesn’t change the actual data in the cell. If you have this problem you have to select the cells and open the menu box at the top of the selected range and choose “convert text to number” (sorry if you already know this or have done this. Better to cover all the options rather than leave out a step that might help.)

The other thing that is useful is the “Evaluate Formula” option under “Formulas” menu on ribbon. (2010/2013). You can see the data as the formula processes it. Generally text will be shown as “text” - with quotes, and numbers as numbers. So if you see “17” then Excel is saying it is text. (don’t think I’m putting you wrong - don’t have Excel running in front of me so am writing from memory and haven’t checked everything above.)

Aside from the above, I believe C+ might have been considered the superior approach, if he wanted to be serious about it?

1 Like

Excel is for pussies. Use a notebook or code like a man.

1 Like