Any Drummers Out There?

I used to play the drums when I was younger, but sold my kit when I moved into a townhouse since my neighbors would have probably killed me.

I think Lock is spot on with his advice, practice practice practice, expose yourself to more styles of music, and most importantly, learn to develop your own creative style of play. Some of the best musicians (IMO) have been those who allow their personalities to shine through their play of music.

I would personally go with TAMA drums and Zildjian cymbals and nothing else. Nothing else (other than maybe DW drums and Sabian cymbals) come close. I used to own a full set of Zildjian Platinum cymbals, the look of them alone was worth buying them, and I am not even going to mention what their sound was like. Pure win.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
You’re right. Maybe I should look into some lessons. [/quote]

Watch. Listen. Learn.

Just because someone never took formal lessons (that anyone knows of), doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have or that they wouldn’t have learned something from them.

Those legendary musicians who ‘never took formal lessons’ usually were exposed very young to the instrument and/or came from musical families and/or thrown into many improv/working situations and/or surrounded by fellow instrumentalists who answered questions or were shown things whenever the opportunity presented itself. They all played and interacted and learned from other musicians, though.

Formal lessons can be whatever you make of them. I had a few months of formal lessons when I started, but my ear outpaced my ability to read (along with the 8-12 hours a day I practiced).

I quit ‘formal’ lessons with an agreement with my teacher that I could come in whenever he had time and show me what I wanted to learn whenever he could fit me in (at his regular rate of course). I would hear him play the song in the book and have it memorized when I walked out. My ‘lessons’ turned more into technique approached and modal jams.

I also started playing with as many people much better than me whenever I could and asked LOTS of questions (how’d you DO that? How’d you make that sound? What was that lick you played? etc etc.)

Don’t be afraid of getting some lessons. Even Randy Rhoads used to seek out guitar teachers on during Ozzy tours.

I don’t even have my own kit right now. The whole reason I started playing is because my roommate had kit that he stuck in the bomb shelter under our house and I started playing on it in my spare time. I’d always wanted to learn but just never had the time or the money or whatever. But it’s a cheap set. Sunlite. I’ve busted every single batter head on it at some point or another so now I have Remo ambassador pinstripes on the toms, a Remo Emperor X head on the snare and I just ordered a Remo Powersonic bass head after putting the bass pedal right through the old head.

But I’m in the market for a new set of my own. I’d like to stay under $600 or $700 and I’ve played a few sets at the local music store downtown. They don’t have much and they cringe when I sit down with some 2B sticks and start pounding out When The Levee Breaks or Discipline by NIN. I like the Pearl Forum, didn’t like the Ludwig set they had. Anyone recommend anything else in this price range? I’m content to stick with the cheap Zildjians that come with the set for now and start adding better cymbals as I get more money.

I played those platinum Zildjians you were talking about Maximus and you’re right. They sound fucking incredible.

Don’t play drums… but hang and party with the owner of this drum company:

http://www.shinedrums.com

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Justin Bieber and Katy Perry’s drummers’ sets?

I have played since i was about 6-7…the “tabs” for most jazz/funk songs cant be found because they don’t exist. Even in symphonic/jazz bznds with sheet music, the sheet for a jazz piece will be one bar of jazz rhythm on the hi hat, and then nothing but repeat bars for three pages, because you are supposed to play by feel and make it up as you go.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Justin Bieber and Katy Perry’s drummers’ sets?[/quote]

Something to tell my daughter I guess…make me look cooler.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Something to tell my daughter I guess…make me look cooler.[/quote]

Lol! Right on.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Lol! Right on.[/quote]

She got home from school and I just showed her…and she’s not impressed…but did ask me if he could hook her up to meet Justin! Selfish little brat…lol

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Lol! Right on.[/quote]

She got home from school and I just showed her…and she’s not impressed…but did ask me if he could hook her up to meet Justin! Selfish little brat…lol
[/quote]

You ever seen Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus in the same place at the same time? Neither have I.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Lock wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Lock wrote:
1: Get a teacher
2: Have him/her review your technique
3: Learn how to read music
4: Now you can buy drumming books like the patterns series by Gary Chaffee, “Stick Control” by George Lawrence Stone, “The New Breed” by Gary Chester.
5: Practice every fucking chance you get.

Want to be a good drummer? Do the above, and listen to every genre of music, emulating what happens in the drum section, be it latin, jazz, or straight up funk.

Good luck!

[/quote]

1. Don’t need to take lessons, just need to practice more. A lot of drummers have never had a formal lesson, John Bonham being one. My playing has progressed very quickly as is.
  2. see above
  3. Definitely do need to do this
  4. need to do 3 so I can do four and make better sense of “Led Zeppelin Drumming Techniques” a book someone gave me
  5. I practice every day

I already listen to everything from Mongo Santamaria to Miles Davis to James Brown to Steely Dan to Parliament to Led Zeppelin to Tool (which makes me want to quit the drums) to NIN to Elvin Jones.
[/quote]

I don’t think you quite understand the need for good technique. Find a good teacher, I guarantee you, you won’t regret it.

Why?

Because the more you practice, the better your technique has to be. And the better your technique is, the more can you practice, and the faster you will progress.

You implying that because John Bonham never had a formal lesson, then you shouldn’t either, is an argument that I don’t quite understand. Are you saying that you have the same talent that John Bonham ( or Dennis Chambers, for that matter) had?

I’m speaking from experience when I am giving you advice here, and am only trying to help.

Good luck again with your drumming!

[/quote]

You’re right. Maybe I should look into some lessons. I do think that I have a natural talent like Bonham and Chambers did, but not to nearly the same extent. For whatever reason I’ve been able to keep perfect, steady time since the first time I sat down at a kit. It’s the multi-limb coordination that doesn’t come as easily to me. Polyrhythms are a long way off, although I’m starting to get the hang of a certain part in “Eulogy” from Tool that’s a basic polyrhythm. “Sober” has been a tough one for me to pick up. Fuck Danny Carey.[/quote]

Some more advice for you:

-Get a metronome, and always practice to it. I know it sounds like a chore, and it may feel like a chore in the beginning as well, but practicing with a metronome is essential.

-Don’t skip on learning the quintuplet and septuplet subdivisions. Learning them will help you understand and master time even more, and will also of course add a lot to your tool box.

-Never think you are good enough. The moment you think you are good enough, you stop progessing. This is true in all aspects of life.
Never be satisfied.

-KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. It’s often that less is more, and it that regard, listen to ABBA. Per Lindvall is fucking awesome.

-Per Lindvall is fucking awesome.

Shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions!

20+ years drumming experience here.

Learn to read music, practice basic rudiments (paradiddles are your friend), find an instructor that can help you get some chops, and buy a metronome.

I took 5 years of piano lessons to learn to read music, then had a great percussion instructor in high school that put me on a different level. Pick up as much sheet music as you can find, even if it’s simple, and own that shit. I had tons of rudimentary books from the 50s that I’d go through nightly.

Things like rudiments, stick control, etc… may sound more for drumline purposes than drumset, but if you’re good enough at the basics, you can kill a drumset.

I’m biased though. I’d rather listen to a tight drumline than someone play drumset.

[quote]AlexC1 wrote:

Things like rudiments, stick control, etc… may sound more for drumline purposes than drumset, but if you’re good enough at the basics, you can kill a drumset. [/quote]

This is truth. Listen well.

I don’t know, man. Obviously a sweet line (Cavs, Phantom, UNT) is sweet, but you gotta love the groove that drumset players lay down. I mean Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl? Come on!

And Gadd’s ‘‘Duke’s Lullaby’’? Absolute sweetness!

I want that Gadd/Weckl/Colaiuta clip played at my funeral.