Any Cyclists?

Screw that fatt-ass woodchuck! Spring is on it’s way damnit!

I am seriously considering getting back into cycling, not only MTB but “road” cycling as well. I’ve decided to go with a Surly Cross Check as an all-around road bike.

Are any of you guys avid bike riders? MTB, Cyclocross, Roadies, BMX… whatever.

For the past few years I was training and competing in triathlons. Swimming was my strongest leg, followed by cycling and then running (not a good progression unfortunately), but I grew up mountain biking in the White Mountains.

Even though I got really bored with all the time I spent training for tris, I always enjoying cycling the most. I usually rode solo all the time, but occasionally I would ride with a group of roadies and loved paceline drafting >=]
I’m not sure if I’ll get back into cycling this year. I’m working hard to put on some mass and am planning on limiting my cardio to sprinting workouts. I also always loved sprinting sports.

I’m thinking about maybe training for some TT cycling next year though… if I can get better on my aero bars.

Yeah, I have one of these (well, I’ve changed everything now except the frame and handle bars - new pedals, custom wheels & tyres, grips, etc).

I cycle to work and back during the week (about 18 miles total), which makes it good fun while trying to bulk up since I need to eat another 500-800kcal.

Don’t do much else with it though, but it sure as hell beats the crap out of public transport or traffic in a car.

I used to cycle race and do Triathlons. I have a Rossin SL racing bike. Now I speed blade but I still riding my bike. If I didn’t have a company vehicle I would ride to work. I pretty much enjoy anything that allows me to physically generate speed.

I second the motion on that Fatt-ass woodchuck.

hells yeah.
as soon as the weather doesn’t completely suck I’ll be riding to work. I tried it once last week and the ride is nice but the sub freezing temps were not.

hardtail mt. bike for general transportation.
road bike for weekend rides.

I dirt jumpped and raced bmx for like 10 years. Got old and got a job and dropped it:(

Been thinking about getting into mountain biking.

I’ve got an aluminum Vitus, and did road racing and triathlons for years. I haven’t been on it in far too long. I think it’s an antique now.

My brother in Berthoud does adventure races and cyclocross.

I use to be a CAT 2 and am building a new sled for the summer. I am thinking about racing again this year but worry about the knuckleheads who think they are Mark Cavendish. At 36 I don’t need to bleed through my sheets because some guy thought that the gap was just big enough to come around me. I am also 188 lbs at 10% BF.

I might do a little track racing this year since there is a velodrome in Queens and I am built more like Chris Hoy than Lance.

Other than the gym, the bike is the only place where I can empty my head of the bullshit.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Other than the gym, the bike is the only place where I can empty my head of the bullshit.[/quote]

exactly right.

Charge Plug (yeah, I know, funny name), with single speed and fixed wheel flip flop hub. Have had it since my old bike of 14 years’ frame broke (sigh). I’m very happy with this British make, as it was value for money, has a nice steel frame and needs little maintenance. At the moment I’m waiting for spring to come, so I can go fixed wheel - which I don’t have experience with.

Yesterday, when public transport broke down here due to some snow BBC News - Snow causes further UK disruption my trusty bike brought to work and back safely.

I’m not a bicycle enthusiast, or into cycling as a sport - but as for transportation (and coincidental cardio training), there is imho nothing better. I know it impedes with my attempts at gaining weight - but not cycling makes me feel immobile and slow. My father used to cycle 20 miles to work and back every day until he was 65, keeping him fit and healthy - I can only hope to achieve the same.

Makkun

PS: OP, Surly Crosscheck would have been my other choice, if I had had the money. Enjoy the ride. :slight_smile:

Nice bike Makk! Classic Brit elegance. The Brooks saddle and leather bar wraps give it a very cool look.

If I didn’t live in the Rocky Mtns I would build up a single speed/fixed Cross Check.

I have a Monocog 29er MTB and a 26er Monocog, single speeds are great fun.

Around here you would have to run the drivetrain at around 65 gear inches if you wanted to do any long climbs…which means you would be spinning-out half the time.

I used to ride fairly seriously. I entered a race for shits and giggles in Prospect park, Brooklyn when I was 14, and won the under-18 division and finished with the cat 3-5 sprint.

I actually did leg only workouts when I was younger because I wanted strong legs and a light upper body for hill-climbing. Then I got my head on straight.

I’m thinking I want to get back into it, though. Albeit way less than back then.

Hmmm I guess I should have specified my bike. I ride (rode) a Specialized Transition multisport. No real upgrades on it aside from aerobars, so no pr0n required.

To the OP, if you do decide to get into road cycling, look for a bike club or something in your area that caters to intermediate riders. The really good roadies tend to be pretty elitist in my experience, but in the intermediate clubs it’s really friendly (up here at least).

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Nice bike Makk! Classic Brit elegance. The Brooks saddle and leather bar wraps give it a very cool look.

If I didn’t live in the Rocky Mtns I would build up a single speed/fixed Cross Check.

I have a Monocog 29er MTB and a 26er Monocog, single speeds are great fun.

Around here you would have to run the drivetrain at around 65 gear inches if you wanted to do any long climbs…which means you would be spinning-out half the time.[/quote]

Thanks - loads of cycle couriers ride this here at the moment. Yeah, and I like the classic elegance of it myself - so did the fucker who stole my back wheel in the first six weeks I had it. Luckily I was insured, and now it sports about 25% of its value in locks…

Although I grow up very close to the Alps, and have hiked some, I never got into mountain biking. As I didn’t use to have a driving licence until my early thirties, I have used my old 21 gear Schauff Catalonia (great workhorse) to cycle from the train station to the base of the mountain and walk from there.

I guess that wouldn’t work in the Rockies though. Good choice though with the cross-check as it gives you both options. I’m mechanically challenged, so I can’t build anything without hurting myself in the process - so good on you, and post some pics.

Makkun

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Hmmm I guess I should have specified my bike. I ride (rode) a Specialized Transition multisport. No real upgrades on it aside from aerobars, so no pr0n required.

To the OP, if you do decide to get into road cycling, look for a bike club or something in your area that caters to intermediate riders. The really good roadies tend to be pretty elitist in my experience, but in the intermediate clubs it’s really friendly (up here at least).[/quote]

I will say thay Sharp is right. Roadies are snobs and you are in snob heaven if you are in Colorado. The only place I can think of being worse is SoCal.

-from former Roadie Snob

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:

To the OP, if you do decide to get into road cycling, look for a bike club or something in your area that caters to intermediate riders. The really good roadies tend to be pretty elitist in my experience, but in the intermediate clubs it’s really friendly (up here at least).

I will say thay Sharp is right. Roadies are snobs and you are in snob heaven if you are in Colorado. The only place I can think of being worse is SoCal.

-from former Roadie Snob[/quote]

Ha! I understand. Fortunately, I live a hick town…the snobs are in the next county over.

The “roadies” around here are beer-swilling MTBers riding cyclocross bike on the busted-up highway shoulder.

The LBS encourages people to buy 'cross bikes because the roads are so crappy.

YES! My Cross Check is on the way.

I ordered brown. I love Surly for making a bike in Beef Gravy Brown.

Just got into mountain biking last year and really enjoy it.

I have an old Trek 800 Sport; got it for $50 used. It’s still in good shape and does what I need it to on the trails. I also used it to ride to work a bit last summer. I figure I’ll upgrade in a year or two when I gain more experience.

I plan on getting out and riding tomorrow since the weather is so nice out here.

I have my Specialized Allez on my trainer and I try to ride several times a week. I’m anxious for spring as well. We have an early season century that I wouldn’t mind doing if I can get my endurance up there over the next couple months.

I’ve got a Giant OCR1 from 2001… can’t wait for all this snow to melt so i can ride again.