Any Chess Players Here?

Grand-Master level is at least 2500 plus some tournament wins or something - i don’t know.
Lichess also has separate ratings for each game mode (Bullet, Blitz, Rapid, Classical and Correspondence)

Lichess is apparently 200 to 300 points higher than chess.com - I’m not sure how close that’d be to like FIDE or some other national chess federations…all I know is I’m starting to learn and see tactics in games…I still suck bigly, but at least I lose by timeout in blitz now, instead of a 4 move scholars mate

1 Like

Yea, for titles you also have to meet “norms” - I think it has to do with performance in rated OTB tournaments or something … not positive as all I’m trying to learn now are basic tactics and end game patterns

I am right there with you, I have a couple decent openings and I am getting okay with the French Defense, but the end game is where I struggle. That and I always get stuck with knight forks - those things are hard to spot.
I am discovering the issue i have with chess though. Everyone believes it’s a “smart man’s” game, but I don’t think that’s the case. It really comes down to how many opening moves and defenses one can memorize. I think pretty much anyone with a good memory could be good at chess if they put in the time. Also, watching grandmaster level games is boring because white is almost always guaranteed to win. The first move advantage in chess is too much to overcome at that level.

Yea, I have an opening I play for white (London, d4) and I play the slav/semi-slav for a d4, and the Pirc for d5 and am getting ok with them to where i can play some lines fairly ok and am starting to understand WHY they work the way they do…

…and a good memory can be developed by putting in the time haha. A lot of chess is pattern recognition too - seeing those combinations, forks, skewers, and all the other tactics that come one. And those end game patterns…damn end games

If I can just avoid a disaster in the first 6 moves then I’m usually OK… it’s these weird highly theoretical openings that trip me up usually.

@polo77j
I think I am getting better. My best game as black so far. Not over yet but it’s at worst mate in 2 for me.

1 Like

Very nice dude

1 Like

I enjoyed moving step by step through that game, and projecting alternate moves.

The problem I have with the computer (as opposed to the correspondent) as opponent, is that you can’t catch it in an overlooked play. Past 2-3 levels, it feels like you are playing the Terminator.
It doesn’t have feelings, doesn’t feel pain.
It will kill you.
It’s what it does!
That’s all it does!

1 Like

Thanks. It’s the first game where I felt all my moves truly improved my position (I got helped by a couple blunders on my opponents part)
I didn’t play through it yet, but I do wonder if he would have stood a chance had he sacrificed his queen to take out my bishop on move 15 (pretty sure I still would have won).