Any Broad Jump Experts Out There?

I tested my goal for the year, a 300cm (9’9") broad jump yesterday. I got 298cm 2 times… about an inch or so short…the video is here:

http://captnj.blogspot.com/2006/10/broad-jumpfailed-attempt-for-now.html

any tips on technique? am I jumping too low? is the arm swing ok? any suggestions? especially from those who are exeptional leapers.

regds and thanks,
Joanthan

[quote]CaptnJ wrote:
I tested my goal for the year, a 300cm (9’9") broad jump yesterday. I got 298cm 2 times… about an inch or so short…the video is here:

http://captnj.blogspot.com/2006/10/broad-jumpfailed-attempt-for-now.html

any tips on technique? am I jumping too low? is the arm swing ok? any suggestions? especially from those who are exeptional leapers.

regds and thanks,
Joanthan[/quote]

Are you a long jumper? Whats your height &weight? Your training routine? Vertical jump? Training history?

im 78kg, 173cm tall. no im not a track guy. best lifts are 200 in teh sq, 212.5 deadlift and 117.5 power clean. I am askign for more technique stuff actaully. Although its possible i have a explosive strength defecit…

try jumping into a sand pit. you will jump a little further, so you might have to lengthen your goal of 300cm to make it the equivilent, but its a lot easier on the feet, heels, etc when you land. honestly though, great jump, you look really springy, and your have good strength levels. now go and jump 305cm.
AC

I can’t give any tips on technique, but I can say with a good deal of confidence that you do have a huge explosive strength deficit. If improving your broad jumps is a priority, I would focus on more power oriented things for a while. This will help a great deal.

RJ

[quote]RJ24 wrote:
I can’t give any tips on technique, but I can say with a good deal of confidence that you do have a huge explosive strength deficit. If improving your broad jumps is a priority, I would focus on more power oriented things for a while. This will help a great deal.

RJ[/quote]

How far can you Broad Jump and what sort of exercises do you use? The world record is 3.47 meters.

[quote]RJ24 wrote:

RJ[/quote]

I think that his best lifts that he posted are in kg, not lbs. but i could be wrong. OP can you clearify this?

Isn’t TC a broad jump expert?

My best broad jump to date is 9’4.5". Not amazing, but pretty good, seeing as I can only squat 315 lbs at a bodyweight of 195-200.

When I say the OP has a huge explosive strength deficit, I believe his stats back me up. He squats over 2.5 times bodyweight and yet cannot jump 9’9". That looks like a deficit to me.

In order to get it up from this point, I would suggest running jumps for height (off of 1 foot or 2) and a lot of sprinting. After a while of this type of training, while only maintaining his strength, I think he would jump much further.

RJ

Thanks for all the reply so far guys. Yes i think the strength defeicit is a certain possiblity. the lifts are in Kg. And yes im going for some sprint training and more explosive stuff. I only put in 1 3 week block of dedicated explosive training (i do speed work but not specific jump work in my ussual training) as i worked on the jump.

I will do some sprinting and bounding and explosive stuff and try again! thanks again

regds
Jonathan

[quote]treco wrote:

How far can you Broad Jump and what sort of exercises do you use? The world record is 3.47 meters.[/quote]

Just for the record: The world record is a lot more than 3.47, as the Norwegian record is 3.71, by Arne Tvervaag in a meet in 1968. Yes, standing broad jump is an official T&F event in Norway.

Welder

Work on your landing. You could easily get the extra 2 cm with just a little better landing. It doesn’t really look like your trying very hard. Your relying on your jump and letting your feet land where they may.

Try to land like a long jumper. If you don’t feel comfortable landing in a squat position, try practicing by broadjumping onto something. Something stable (safe) and not too high.

You can do Plyos and other explosive movements for a few months to get it or you can hit that landing and get it now.

BTW great use of your arms and terrific extension of your hips and entire body.

[quote]treco wrote:
The world record is 3.47 meters.[/quote]

Yeah, in 1904.

it looked a little short on power at the beginning but the weakest point to me seemed to be in the land. at my best broad jump i did 10’6’ and had a long jump of 20’9 at 16 years old. i landed in virtually a pike position and “rolled” through my knees. its kind of awkward at first and takes some practice. Your ass should hit your heels and your momentum should keep you driving right through the motion. Just incase you wanted to know i’m 5’7" 162 and my verticle is about 33"

I’m not expert, but it looks like you use your quads way too much when you jump. I think in the video you actually come up on your toes in your descent. Maybe you should try jumping from your hips more. Kinda like an olympic lift where you use the stretch reflex of the hamstrings.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Work on your landing. You could easily get the extra 2 cm with just a little better landing. It doesn’t really look like your trying very hard. Your relying on your jump and letting your feet land where they may.

Try to land like a long jumper. If you don’t feel comfortable landing in a squat position, try practicing by broadjumping onto something. Something stable (safe) and not too high.

You can do Plyos and other explosive movements for a few months to get it or you can hit that landing and get it now.

BTW great use of your arms and terrific extension of your hips and entire body.[/quote]

let me get it right, i should land in a full squat? mmm where would the shock absorbtion come in? thanks.

[quote]CaptnJ wrote:
on edge wrote:

BTW great use of your arms and terrific extension of your hips and entire body.

let me get it right, i should land in a full squat? mmm where would the shock absorbtion come in? thanks.
[/quote]

Not quite full, but more than you’re doing.

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
treco wrote:
The world record is 3.47 meters.

Yeah, in 1904.

[/quote]

I saw the update a couple of posts above also. From 1960 - 2006, the average winner hit 3.39M at the Norway Indoor Championships.

http//www.gbrathletics.com/nc/nori.htm

Makes 1904 guy look pretty outstanding. Could you imagine 100M still in the 12s?

Good Training.

Your technique looks good to me, although i’m far from an expert. Your relative strength levels are quite good, so it has to be your explosive strength levels. My best in the broad jump is 10 feet at a height of 5’11 and 190-200lbs, even though my best in lifts 425 dead, and 225 hang clean, (not sure about max squat).

My max strength needs improvement, so most of my distance is due to explosive strength. I think your best bet is to focus on plyos to get those last few cm.

CapJ

I’m certainly no jumping expert but I’d bet if you practiced landing by pulling your feet up closer to your butt you’d get at least another 2cm. You don’t need to land in a full squat position but you could easily pull them up half way.