T Nation

Any Aquarists Here?

I have a bronze cory who I found today spending lots of time breathing air from the surface (they can do that). And he’s missing one of his eyes. There aren’t any fish in this tank with the capacity to do that, and his 2 compatriots seem fine.

He is spending time on the bottom, but he comes up for air more frequently then usual. Should I leave him be and try to recover, or should I do a mercy killing?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I have a bronze cory who I found today spending lots of time breathing air from the surface (they can do that). And he’s missing one of his eyes. There aren’t any fish in this tank with the capacity to do that, and his 2 compatriots seem fine.

He is spending time on the bottom, but he comes up for air more frequently then usual. Should I leave him be and try to recover, or should I do a mercy killing?[/quote]

How long have you had him?

What other kind of fish is he with?

[quote]imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

He is spending time on the bottom, but he comes up for air more frequently then usual. Should I leave him be and try to recover, or should I do a mercy killing?

What other kind of fish is he with?[/quote]

2 other corys and a few native fishes. (rainbow darters, mudminnow)

I’ve had him for a few months.

imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

2 other corys and a few native fishes. (rainbow darters, mudminnow)[/quote]

Cory, as in catfish, right?

I’d give him some time. They’re usually pretty resilient.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

I’d give him some time. They’re usually pretty resilient.[/quote]

yeah, I’ll see if he pulls through. I was pretty freaked out when I noticed the empty socket though. lol.

“the fuck it that?!”

imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

yeah, I’ll see if he pulls through. I was pretty freaked out when I noticed the empty socket though. lol.

“the fuck it that?!”[/quote]

I had a one-eyed goldfish when I was little…but I bought her that way.

Just do a water change and maybe add some melafix to help prevent an infection and he should be fine

you know what fish are cool? Oscars

theyre fucking psychos though and will randomly gang up and kill another Oscar.

they also eat other fish so when i worked at Petsmart we’d jut feed them crickets and those little 15 cent fish or pieces of paper and one time a tick.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
imhungry wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

“the fuck it that?!”

I had a one-eyed goldfish when I was little…but I bought her that way.[/quote]

That’s pretty fucked up.

nttawwt

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you know what fish are cool? Oscars

theyre fucking psychos though and will randomly gang up and kill another Oscar.

they also eat other fish so when i worked at Petsmart we’d jut feed them crickets and those little 15 cent fish or pieces of paper and one time a tick. [/quote]

Yeah they are, but I mostly just have native fish, they are much cooler. The corys are there because most native catfishes can be pretty violent or get too large.

I have a green sunfish in another aquarium upstairs, he’ll be getting a few perch tankmates when I can get a few appropriate specimens.

feeding time is usually excellent with ghost shrimp, rosies, and carnivore pellets.

I’m not an aquarist-- I was born in October, so I’m a Libra…

However, I do have a betta fish.

so the fucker was upside down on the top of the tank when I got home from work. I scopped him out and tossed him in the toilet. As soon as I flush he springs back into life.

oh well, shit happens.

I’ve had 3 large albino corys for over 3 years and half a year ago 2 of them died.

Once in a while they would lay eggs all over the tank, but I think my betta ate them all.

Corys are freaking tough, they live forever… almost. Plus they eat the corpses of your other fish! Recycling!

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
I’ve had 3 large albino corys for over 3 years and half a year ago 2 of them died.

Once in a while they would lay eggs all over the tank, but I think my betta ate them all.

Corys are freaking tough, they live forever… almost. Plus they eat the corpses of your other fish! Recycling![/quote]

corys should be kept in groups, not by themselves get some more.

The missing eye might be independent of the gulping.

Do you have decent aeration, or at least some surface motion of the water? Gulping like that could be a sign of an anoxic tank.

Corys are known to breathe from the surface regularly. The increase could’ve just been old age… in my experience… that’s the only way my Corys die… they get old… and as they age… they breathe from the surface more and more.

Corys are the only fish I keep anymore. I got a group of 7 black ones. Cute lil guys:)

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
The missing eye might be independent of the gulping.

Do you have decent aeration, or at least some surface motion of the water? Gulping like that could be a sign of an anoxic tank.
[/quote]

Just a sponge filter for a 20 gal with an aerator for a 20 gal. Tank is 20 gallons, I plan on getting a HOB filter soon.

a sponge filter probably isnt doing the trick. i would check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in your tank. and if youre going to get a HOB filter i would go with an aquaclear theyre the best.

[quote]relentless2120 wrote:
a sponge filter probably isnt doing the trick. i would check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in your tank. and if youre going to get a HOB filter i would go with an aquaclear theyre the best.[/quote]

I do partial water changes frequently, and the tank is pretty understocked.