Any Advice on Building an Ectomorph

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
Forget about somatotypes - an ectomorph is a mesomorph who isn’t eating and training properly.[/quote]

Right on. For a long time I thought I was an endomorph. Turns out I was just a mesomorph who was eating too much and not doing enough cardio.

[quote]Silkdagger wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Silkdagger wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
If you’re eating 6-8 times a day and lifting hard you shouldn’t be having any problem gaining weight unless your meals consist of half tomatoes and sunflower seeds.

nope lol sa day if they did.
break fast so far was 2 cups of oat meal, fruit, yogurt, 64 ounces of water, multi vita, ( and I add 4 eggs when i have time to eat them.)

When you wrote this, you thought it was a lot, didn’t you?

If you rarely eat the “4 eggs when i have time to eat them” why mention them? For extra credit? Your breakfast sucked. It might not have sucked so bad if you actually ate the eggs everyday, but since you allow that to depend on time constraints, you clearly are lost on how important food intake is.

I ate 12 eggs this morning.

well…while I value your opinion you don’t need to be rude about it. I don’t give a dam about extra credit as I do about results. and no its not a lot, Sunday I had 5 eggs, 4 cups of oat meal, 2 toast, 2 bananas, 6 ounces of steak, a shake and then 30 minutes later two egg sandwiches, one roast beef sandwich, and peaches. that was a lot for me. I was being honest about what I eat this morning. and what I was suppose to eat.

today was one of the rare days I didn’t get them due to work constraints. no matter what I get 3.5-4k a day in caloric intake. and 200 grams of protein. (if not more.) my classes covered protein as = 1-1 1/2 gram for every body pound to grow. your diet is 70% of your growth potential. if not more on some people.
[/quote]

Dude, every single one of us has a job or school commitments and we still manage to eat. You now claim it is “rare” that you miss the eggs. Whatever. You went into too much detail about your fruit and oatmeal for me to think this was ONE missed time in the last two months or anything like that. If I didn’t eat anything else, the eggs would take top priority.

I break mine open and “scramble” them the night before and put them in a plastic container. All I have to do in the morning is heat the skillet. From start to finish it then takes less than 5 minutes for me to be eating…5 minutes you apparently have trouble finding the time for…even though you had time for fruit and yogurt.

If this is “rude” to you, so be it.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
Forget about somatotypes - an ectomorph is a mesomorph who isn’t eating and training properly.[/quote]

Best. Post.

These somatypes shouldn’t even be used to describe people before they ever train seriously in bodybuilding. I was an “ectomorph” for all of 3 months.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
Purchase Scrawny to Brawny by John Berardi and Michael Mejia. Excellent eating and training plans well displayed and explained in the book. I’m an endomorph but still picked up a lot from this.[/quote]

x2.

It will explain everything training and nutrition.

The reason you think people on here are being “rude” to you is because you are suffering from a delusion that is so common among beginners it’s downright annoying.

You do not eat a ton. You really need to accept that, because this mindset that you already eat a ton will hold you back. The breakfast you posted was sorely lacking in protein too.

I don’t usually chime in on the bodybuilding threads because I’m a woman, and a small one at that. But when I read something about a really skinny guy claiming he eats a lot, I can’t help but wonder what he thinks “a lot” is. Just to put it into perspective, I eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day, and I’m 5’4" 130lbs, and 18% bodyfat. So, you should be eating much more than a little girl eats if you want to add mass.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
The reason you think people on here are being “rude” to you is because you are suffering from a delusion that is so common among beginners it’s downright annoying.

You do not eat a ton. You really need to accept that, because this mindset that you already eat a ton will hold you back. The breakfast you posted was sorely lacking in protein too.

I don’t usually chime in on the bodybuilding threads because I’m a woman, and a small one at that. But when I read something about a really skinny guy claiming he eats a lot, I can’t help but wonder what he thinks “a lot” is. Just to put it into perspective, I eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day, and I’m 5’4" 130lbs, and 18% bodyfat. So, you should be eating much more than a little girl eats if you want to add mass.[/quote]

Exactly. I eat all day long. That is why I weigh as much as I do…and most of these are large meals aside from the protein shakes. I am still amazed that pointing out how shitty that breakfast was got the response it did.

These people don’t want anyone to tell them the truth. They want someone to log on, confirm this bullshit somatype nonsense, tell them its ok and them throw hugs and kisses at them.

The thing that makes it worse is they have access to people who have been where they are and blown passed it. Hell, many of the people here are well educated and, needless to say, if I had a fucking doctor who was carrying a good deal of size telling me I was doing something wrong…I just might fucking listen. But not these guys. They know better.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:

I don’t usually chime in on the bodybuilding threads because I’m a woman, and a small one at that. But when I read something about a really skinny guy claiming he eats a lot, I can’t help but wonder what he thinks “a lot” is. Just to put it into perspective, I eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day, and I’m 5’4" 130lbs, and 18% bodyfat. So, you should be eating much more than a little girl eats if you want to add mass.[/quote]

• mass reply.
    okay, my bad. I was under the assumption that most people were aiming for a 2k a day caloric intake. I am aiming for 4 on my best days. I assumed it was alot…dam it theres alot of ass and me in that statement!..

I was also trained to get carbs in the morning then SECOND meal and third meal worry about protein. this is false it seems. missing the eggs or shake happens about every 3 weeks. bills are more important to me than the gym. no work = no gym time.

as for prof x **

Id rather have results than some one baby my ass. -Semper FI-
results are what matter…uhg 12 eggs every morning. I asked what I could do to do this right and you gave solid advice. Thank you. what about training prof?
I am doing super sets right now. i can copy the article up for you to look at if you like.

[quote]Silkdagger wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Itchy wrote:
I ate 12 chickens this morning.

My goal is one full grown cow a month…minus hooves and genitals.

My May cow’s name is “April”…ain’t that some shit. She’s half gone now so she clearly doesn’t respond when I call her name.

VERY funny. isnt chicken and turkey better for you as far as protein goes? but red meat has iron, and creatine too from what we learned. [/quote]

If I weighed what you do, I might think chicken can take the place of beef as well.

I learned a while back that calories are more important than all else when it comes to GAINING muscle mass. You can talk quality of food sources all you wish, but the bottom line is, if you aren’t getting enough calories in, it really doesn’t matter that your protein sources all come from chickens that have been fed caviar and whey protein their entire lives.

[quote]Silkdagger wrote:

as for prof x **

Id rather have results than some one baby my ass. -Semper FI-
results are what matter…uhg 12 eggs every morning. I asked what I could do to do this right and you gave solid advice. Thank you. what about training prof?
I am doing super sets right now. i can copy the article up for you to look at if you like.[/quote]

We aren’t done with your food intake. You aren’t “eating enough” until you start making gains. I am FUCKING SHOCKED that you thought most of us were shooting for 2,000cals a day. Dude, I eat damn near 2,000 cals by lunch right now. That means your NUMBER doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t matter that you are eating ######cals if you aren’t growing. That means you still need more food and you will need even more food than that when you gain more muscle mass.

As for training, what exactly do you want to know? Most already know I like split routines, but the thing that matters is your own work ethic and how much PROGRESS you are making from session to session.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Exactly. I eat all day long. That is why I weigh as much as I do…and most of these are large meals aside from the protein shakes. I am still amazed that pointing out how shitty that breakfast was got the response it did.

These people don’t want anyone to tell them the truth. They want someone to log on, confirm this bullshit somatype nonsense, tell them its ok and them throw hugs and kisses at them.

The thing that makes it worse is they have access to people who have been where they are and blown passed it. Hell, many of the people here are well educated and, needless to say, if I had a fucking doctor who was carrying a good deal of size telling me I was doing something wrong…I just might fucking listen. But not these guys. They know better.

[/quote]

Hey, give the kid a break… weren’t you ever young… Who didn’t know it all at eighteen? He doesn’t necessarily know how big you are or your profession, if he’s new here and haven’t checked your profile.

Him calling you rude is because you posted in your usual, somewhat harsh tone. I’m amazed that you find the responses you get all that amazing.

Go easy :slight_smile:

Everything you’ve told him is of course correct, not disputing that.

EDIT: I see you guys have posted while I was typing, good. Disregard my post, then.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Hey, give the kid a break… weren’t you ever young… Who didn’t know it all at eighteen? He doesn’t necessarily know how big you are or your profession, if he’s new here and haven’t checked your profile.

Him calling you rude is because you posted in your usual, somewhat harsh tone. I’m amazed that you find the responses you get all that amazing.

Everything you’ve told him is of course correct, not disputing that.[/quote]

I don’t find the responses amazing. I get the responses I expect to get. I also expect for my bitching about the responses to get a response as well.

Pay attention. You should have figured this shit out by now.

MarvelGirl wrote:

I don’t usually chime in on the bodybuilding threads because I’m a woman, and a small one at that. But when I read something about a really skinny guy claiming he eats a lot, I can’t help but wonder what he thinks “a lot” is. Just to put it into perspective, I eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day, and I’m 5’4" 130lbs, and 18% bodyfat. So, you should be eating much more than a little girl eats if you want to add mass.

[/quote]
A: didnt know you were a doctor. B: somatyping is all over the dam place. C: I felt attacked at first not helped. its not like I fucking know you and could think to my self oh this is how he helps people. how ever now I do know your trying to help. and If I need to make my meals bigger than they are and add more protein then cool beans ,Ill hold it down and cook it up.

im just making sure im not wasting my dam time trying to get big if I cannot physically do so.
so about training is supper setting a waste of time? i have gotten some size off of it. but not a whole lot. i was doing 12 reps 3 times for each exercise and lowered it to ten then 8 then 6 sets 1 ,2 ,3.

i didnt say you were shooting for 2k DUH i said most people. as in non building non working out normal fucking tv couch lovers who dont get out. I used a calculator to find my maintenance lvl then added 1,000 calories. I know im eating half what you are it seems. and i have made gains. just not much. i went from 148 starting this spring to 162 this morning. since beginning of april.

Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Everything you’ve told him is of course correct, not disputing that.

I don’t find the responses amazing. I get the responses I expect to get. I also expect for my bitching about the responses to get a response as well.

Pay attention. You should have figured this shit out by now.[/quote]

Told by the Professor to pay attention, I guess I should have seen it coming.

Carry on

Silkdagger, best advice I can give you is be PATIENT! Building muscle is a process that takes ALOT of time and consistency. Stan Mcquay said it well ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is your body.’ You got to keep pushing yourself in the gym with the intention of getting stronger and stronger week in and week out… You have to eat the proper amount of nutrients and calories to grow… There is a good article called ‘beginners guide to carb cycling’ read it. Since you are trying to gain mass have your high calories/carb up days on weight training days. Use 3 carb up/high cal days a week… Eat low carbs/cals on days your not in the gym. If after a month you feel stronger and weigh more and bodyfat has remained low up it to 4 carb up a days… Toy with it and see how your body responds. Remember be patient.

Also X said he eats 12 eggs a day… WTF!? Lol. He may need to eat 12 eggs a day since he’s really a Minotaur… What he’s getting at is you got to fucking eat. Now please dont take his advice and start eating 12 eggs in the morning thinking your going to wake up and be this monster of a man one morning. It’s not going to happen but do eat up.

P.S. I gained ~22 lbs. in two months because I wanted to get big without being patient. It takes TIME I may have gained the 22 lbs but i’d say a good 15 pounds was straight fat… You have less to worry about since your skinny as shit but still don’t go overboard… Maybe you should post what you eat and we can help. Also supersets cool whatever you want to do just make sure your logging your workouts and getting stronger progressively.

Silkdagger, best advice I can give you is be PATIENT! Building muscle is a process that takes ALOT of time and consistency. Stan Mcquay said it well ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is your body.’ You got to keep pushing yourself in the gym with the intention of getting stronger and stronger week in and week out… You have to eat the proper amount of nutrients and calories to grow… There is a good article called ‘beginners guide to carb cycling’ read it. Since you are trying to gain mass have your high calories/carb up days on weight training days. Use 3 carb up/high cal days a week… Eat low carbs/cals on days your not in the gym. If after a month you feel stronger and weigh more and bodyfat has remained low up it to 4 carb up a days… Toy with it and see how your body responds. Remember be patient.

Also X said he eats 12 eggs a day… WTF!? Lol. He may need to eat 12 eggs a day since he’s really a Minotaur… What he’s getting at is you got to fucking eat. Now please dont take his advice and start eating 12 eggs in the morning thinking your going to wake up and be this monster of a man one morning. It’s not going to happen but do eat up.

P.S. I gained ~22 lbs. in two months because I wanted to get big without being patient. It takes TIME I may have gained the 22 lbs but i’d say a good 15 pounds was straight fat… You have less to worry about since your skinny as shit but still don’t go overboard… Maybe you should post what you eat and we can help. Also supersets cool whatever you want to do just make sure your logging your workouts and getting stronger progressively.

If for some reason you are having trouble cramming more food down your gullet - nuts and olive oil. Add a tablespoon of oil to whatever the hell you are eating, and eat a handful of nuts with every meal. IF you just do the nut thing with 6 meals a day, thats 1020 calories w/~36 grams of protein.

Pay attention. You should have figured this shit out by now.[/quote]

Assuming an individual can think, and is not a total pansy, it is a very effective approach in my opinion.

pmed you prof.

[quote]Silkdagger wrote:
pmed you prof.[/quote]

pmed you back. giggle We’re like BFF’s now!!

That comment made me throw up a little.