Any Advice For Shin Splints?

Hello,
Well I’m back at trying cardio again and when ever I run I get painful shin splints (I’m pretty sure its shin splints). After a period of running these shin splints get really bad. I can feel its effect pretty quickly in the run. Normally I don’t make it too long with running because of it. I stick to other things like rowing and elliptical but it be nice to get rid of these shin splints. Has anyone had an experience similar to this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated…

-rock1356

I don’t have shin splints, but you might want to mix in some toe raises…

I used to have horrible shin splints. I’d get them even by walking at a brisk pace. I consulted a podiatrist and found out I have fallen arches. I’ve started wearing some good arch supports (stiff ones, not the cheap-o foam rubber ones) and I’ve had no problems since. I know of a couple other people whose splints have been cured by arch supports. You may want to look into it.

Hey,

Maybe a change in shoes would be beneficial. Back when i played sports, my football cleats would give me massive shin splints but when i changed to my rugby ones, they were fine. That, laying low with the running and the bottle of advil a week may have helped too…
but long story short, i don’t get them anymore very often for some strange reason.

-Ulaf

I used to have “shin splints”, but it disappeared after I corrected my posture (see Neanderthal No More) and learned PROPER RUNNING TECHNIQUE. Because of excess anterior pelvic tilt I leaned too far forward, thus creating huge force on my shins or something like that. You should get some expert to check your form.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/shin.html

as a former distance runner and marathon coach, the folks i’ve worked who seemed most prone to shin splints eithier: 1) ran on a treadmill with constant elevation, creating constant dorsiflexion and constant stress of the anterior tibialis 2) ran on consecutive days on hard surfaces 3) ran on worn or inappropriate shoes.

the bigger problem for endurance athletes and runners in general seemed to be unnecessary volume, and, not taking off an adequate amount of time to facilitate complete healing and recovery from injuries and chronic conditions like shin splints.

if you really want to run again, you may be looking at 4 - 6 weeks of anything but high-impact activity, with spinning and water running being a couple possible options. once you’re feeling fully healed, start back by adding in one day a week of running and gradually build from there.

This may be pretty controversial, and I am no podiatrist, but I think most cases of shin splints can be attributed to modern running shoes. I have had recurring shin splint since 18 when I first got them running in combat boots at the Air Force Academy, and think I have finally solved my problem thanks to researching on the internet. And the running shoes that are supposed to correct ‘problems’ such as overpronation are actually the worst for shin splints. The theory on running shoes says that modern shoes are so focused on ‘support’ of your foot that they don’t strengthen the arches, hence weak ‘collapsed’ arches. They also promote incorrect strides. If you’ve ever run barefoot for any distance you know that you are forced to change your stride or it will be too painful. Running barefoot promotes, somewhat obviously, a much more natural stride. Running barefoot is also believed to reduce impact injuries. Forget what you have heard about heal then toe, the most natural stride is with the heal and toe hitting at nearly the same time, which you are forced to do by running barefoot. After your shin splints heal up, try it out on a grassy field, slowly at first to strengthen up your arches. Take a modern running shoe in your hands and try to flex it. I guarantee the only part that is going to flex is the toe box, tell me how that promotes a healthy stride.

Stanford track athletes train barefoot in the grass, many track athletes have known that barefoot training can lower their times, as stronger arches literally add more spring to your step. I know there is research to support this, though I haven’t looked it up in a while. I have had GREAT success with the Nike Free shoe, which is a shoe designed to mimic barefoot running. It is super light, though pretty fragile and a bit awkward at first, as it is considered a ‘training’ shoe. I use it for long runs though and haven’t had shin splints since I’ve used it. I had tried almost every major brand running shoe before and thought that I was just going to have to live with shin splints for the rest of my life. I even bought some super thin soled Diesel-brand shoes that are basically glorified mocassins to wear as my casual shoes. My feet have never felt better.

Make sure you are working your calves properly. Do toe raises as well. Ice. Take a break. When you resume running do so on soft surfaces to start. Stretch: take your leg and have it in front you with a slight bend so your knee is in the air. Pull back on your foot with your hand. You should feel it stretching your shin out. Walk around the house on your heels.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=680677

[quote]rock1356 wrote:
Hello,
Well I’m back at trying cardio again and when ever I run I get painful shin splints (I’m pretty sure its shin splints). After a period of running these shin splints get really bad. I can feel its effect pretty quickly in the run. Normally I don’t make it too long with running because of it. I stick to other things like rowing and elliptical but it be nice to get rid of these shin splints. Has anyone had an experience similar to this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated…

-rock1356 [/quote]

how big are you?

If you know how to use the rowing ergometer - screw running - you’re getting a better workout anyway and you’re saving your knees, hips, lower back and joints from a severe beating.

Big dudes were not designed to run for distance.

I got pre splints when i was doing my basic for the army its when you have them but they wont diagnose it cause it is a cause for discharge. Any way the phsio had me doing gay excercises with bands and also critiqued how i walked i push of with my toes rather than lift my leg if they mwakes sense to you just a bit of crap for you to decipher PM me and i can give you some grammatically correct garbage

[quote]andytipton wrote:
This may be pretty controversial, and I am no podiatrist, but I think most cases of shin splints can be attributed to modern running shoes. I have had recurring shin splint since 18 when I first got them running in combat boots at the Air Force Academy, and think I have finally solved my problem thanks to researching on the internet. And the running shoes that are supposed to correct ‘problems’ such as overpronation are actually the worst for shin splints. The theory on running shoes says that modern shoes are so focused on ‘support’ of your foot that they don’t strengthen the arches, hence weak ‘collapsed’ arches. They also promote incorrect strides. If you’ve ever run barefoot for any distance you know that you are forced to change your stride or it will be too painful. Running barefoot promotes, somewhat obviously, a much more natural stride. Running barefoot is also believed to reduce impact injuries. Forget what you have heard about heal then toe, the most natural stride is with the heal and toe hitting at nearly the same time, which you are forced to do by running barefoot. After your shin splints heal up, try it out on a grassy field, slowly at first to strengthen up your arches. Take a modern running shoe in your hands and try to flex it. I guarantee the only part that is going to flex is the toe box, tell me how that promotes a healthy stride.

Stanford track athletes train barefoot in the grass, many track athletes have known that barefoot training can lower their times, as stronger arches literally add more spring to your step. I know there is research to support this, though I haven’t looked it up in a while. I have had GREAT success with the Nike Free shoe, which is a shoe designed to mimic barefoot running. It is super light, though pretty fragile and a bit awkward at first, as it is considered a ‘training’ shoe. I use it for long runs though and haven’t had shin splints since I’ve used it. I had tried almost every major brand running shoe before and thought that I was just going to have to live with shin splints for the rest of my life. I even bought some super thin soled Diesel-brand shoes that are basically glorified mocassins to wear as my casual shoes. My feet have never felt better. [/quote]

Absolutely bang on, i was involed in a study (yet to be pubslished) as a lab assistant, on the effect of modern trainers heel elevation and the occurance of shin splints, the raised heal of the shoe causes the foot too meet the ground prematurely compaired too running barefoot. Running bare foot, nike free’s low guage or a running slippers can help.

[quote]andytipton wrote:
The theory on running shoes says that modern shoes are so focused on ‘support’ of your foot that they don’t strengthen the arches, hence weak ‘collapsed’ arches.
[/quote]

No. Arch collapse has nothing to do with a lack of arch strength; it occurs when the tibialis posterior muscle fails to support the subtalar joint.

Insoles and posture correction (pelvic tilt) fixed it for me.

I used to get splits pretty bad but now theyre totally gone.

Whether this is a temporary fix that my lead to other problems I dont know but its damn good to be able to run pain free.

Shin splints is a general term for a variety of problems causing pain in the anterior or medial portion of the lower leg here is a sight that will give a bit more info

the method of ‘fixing’ them is dependant on what the pain is really caused by – compartment syndrome, stress fracture, and medial tibial stress syndrome.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

I disagree - what aboutlack of strength in the intrinsic muscles of the foot - quadratus plantae etc.
[/quote]

Weak foot muscles will cause problems certainly (as I found out when I had a foot cast removed) but a collapsed arch is not one of them. Strengthening your feet will not make your aches higher.

The tibialis anterior does hold up the inner margin of the foot, and the flexor digitorum longus also playes a role in supporting the arch. However, the tibialis posterior is the most important muscle with regard to arch maintenance, and tibialis posterior dysfunction is the primary cause of arch collapse. The fibularis longus insterts on the lateral side of the foot and to my knowledge is not involved in supporting the arches.

Thank you guys so much for your great imput. I’ve read through most of it and will finish off tonight when I get home and I have a momment for myself. Work = drama these days.