Anxiety (Paxil) and Supplements

I’ve been diagnosed with Anxiety for 7 years and have been on specific medications. I have been tapering my Paxil because of the side effects and I just want to not have to rely on medications. I am curious on some supplements that have been known to not work against anxiety. I have been surprised the gains and accomplishments I have made with anxiety as a factor of my life.

I am looking at getting Indigo 3G after this NCAA wrestling season. I plan to bulk up and return to my ideal self .

At 20 years old I was around 200 pounds and had a PR deadlift of 500 and barbell squat of 500 along with a bench of 365. during this period I wasn’t taking anything accept protein powder Due to anxiety issues. I can’t take pre workout caffeine drinks because of the impact on my system.
Today, I am 22 and wrestle 174 pound weight class in NCAA. I feel my my experience and training is now to the level where I can add supplementation and am somewhat knowledgeable about weightlifting. Along with diet/nutrition/training

Creatine got me bloated and sick. I assume the creatine didn’t trigger any anxiety but my anxiety had to do with stomach indigestion and built up acid where I would puke in social situations! so it was very counterproductive and I am worried this spring when I try to get back into lifting I’ll face anxiety due to self image and by the bulking I’ll get sick!

Anyways… I’m really considering going back on creatine monohydrate (Since I’m older now and have spent years working on independence and my anxiety)and Indigo 3g as supplements… but haven’t found any research on individuals with anxiety and lifting or on Indigo 3g and any side effects.

Thanks and happy holidays,

Elliott

Blah

This is not specifically about what you asked, but I’ve found that Ashwagandha and Holy Basil are both very effective against anxiety, with no additional side effects.

Paxil is the absolute worst. I had really bad side effects from it - no sex drive, no motivation to do anything, and strangely…a thin but constantly-present layer of sweat.

Blah

I’ve had severe anxiety my entire life. One of the main reasons I got into power lifting is to help reduce my anxiety. I started taking Indigo 3G about a month ago and it hasn’t effected me negatively at all. Though I would hold off on buying it if I were you. I’ve yet to see any evidence in the logs that Indigo actually does anything. I’m sure i’ll be murdered in my sleep by some tnation mobster for saying that. But the hype for it is pretty intense. Though when I read the blogs I’ve yet to see anything conclusive.

But if you’re worried about your anxiety, Indigo won’t change it. And my anxiety is unbelievably bad.

I had anxiety issues since I was a kid started getting panic attacks when I was 18 until now im 21 but I take the anaconda protocal and inigo 3g without any problems… I got on gabapenten and celexa when I was 18 and ativan when needed but to be honest drugs are not neccassary to relieve anxiety problems, yes they can be a HUGE help to get over that first hump and do work but if you want another way try the panicaway website which also helps with generilized anxiety disorders as well…

I can go on more about this but just check out the site and see if it helps at all. The biggest thing to remember is that an anxiety disorder is not a permenant condition it is just that you have to completly cut the vicous circle if you want to live an anxiety free life…

good luck man

Off-topic, but whenever somebody talks about anxiety I have to say a few words myself… going to keep it short and simple, but, anxiety, by definition, is irrational. If you can realize this in the moment, you can do loads to prevent the breakdown. What I do for myself is create a counter-argument in my head for the anxiety (I realize this sounds a lot like having multiple personalities, but it’s really just a logical way of reasoning out your thought processes and coming to the conclusion that they’re completely irrational) and pick-apart what my brain is thinking. It takes practice, but just realizing that anxiety is talking hold is a step in the right direction. I’ve just come so far myself (like you, I’m sure) so I feel the need to tell other people with the same problems what’s worked for me, lol. Sorry for the long spiel.

On a different note, if you’re into reading, or at least self-enlightenment/dealing with this, then I would definitely check out “Spontaneous Happiness” by Andrew Weil, MD. He goes into great depth regarding the philosophical and psychological components that define and, ultimately, allow the brain to perceive happiness. In addition, he details numerous alternative medicine practices for symptoms such as stress, depression, an anxiety. It’s a wonderful read and very eye-opening. I’d suggest you check it out if you’re wanting to implement various non-pharmaceutical practices into your daily life so as to ween yourself off of the Paxil.

Best of luck to you, sir.

[quote]Zooguido wrote:
Off-topic, but whenever somebody talks about anxiety I have to say a few words myself… going to keep it short and simple, but, anxiety, by definition, is irrational. If you can realize this in the moment, you can do loads to prevent the breakdown. What I do for myself is create a counter-argument in my head for the anxiety (I realize this sounds a lot like having multiple personalities, but it’s really just a logical way of reasoning out your thought processes and coming to the conclusion that they’re completely irrational) and pick-apart what my brain is thinking. It takes practice, but just realizing that anxiety is talking hold is a step in the right direction. I’ve just come so far myself (like you, I’m sure) so I feel the need to tell other people with the same problems what’s worked for me, lol. Sorry for the long spiel.

On a different note, if you’re into reading, or at least self-enlightenment/dealing with this, then I would definitely check out “Spontaneous Happiness” by Andrew Weil, MD. He goes into great depth regarding the philosophical and psychological components that define and, ultimately, allow the brain to perceive happiness. In addition, he details numerous alternative medicine practices for symptoms such as stress, depression, an anxiety. It’s a wonderful read and very eye-opening. I’d suggest you check it out if you’re wanting to implement various non-pharmaceutical practices into your daily life so as to ween yourself off of the Paxil.

Best of luck to you, sir.[/quote]

I respect your thoughts on the issue as an alternative to medication but I have to disagree on the generalization as to people’s ability to reason through something that may well be a chemical imbalance. You can’t convince your body to start producing the proper amounts of certain chemicals if it is inclined to do otherwise.

OP, have you considered celexa as an alternative treatment? I don’t mean to push pharmaceuticals but damned if they don’t work.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]Zooguido wrote:

Best of luck to you, sir.[/quote]

I respect your thoughts on the issue as an alternative to medication but I have to disagree on the generalization as to people’s ability to reason through something that may well be a chemical imbalance. You can’t convince your body to start producing the proper amounts of certain chemicals if it is inclined to do otherwise.

OP, have you considered celexa as an alternative treatment? I don’t mean to push pharmaceuticals but damned if they don’t work. [/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from, as I was there myself (not saying you’re there, merely relating to your statement). I believed I would be stuck on medication for the rest of my life and unable to function in the real world without it. I put all my faith into pharmaceuticals. I saw the world the way you see it now.

But then I thought to myself: why? Why shouldn’t I be able to do this on my own (inb4chemicalimabalancesuidiot)? Why do I have to pay for this? Am I really so different from everyone else?

Logically, I decided to research my condition (which I would tell you but for the stigma behind it [especially on a forum such as this]) and possible ways to overcome the challenges that I would face if I were to ween myself off of my medication or take at least a miniscule amount of the “recommended” dosage.

I came to the conclusion that this was indeed possible through various journals, articles, and websites. However, I would have to be very careful. Nevertheless, I succeeded using the aforementioned technique in addition to a few others and a person I could confide in. I must say, though: it took me a really, really long time to learn to think analytically (regarding my anxiety) in the moment of panic. I had to practice before I went to sleep each night. Just imagining scenarios where my anxiety would manifest itself and then imagining potential counterarguments.

It’s terribly, terribly difficult to do this in the moment as you’ve literally programmed your brain over the course of your lifetime to pick out and envision every, little, single, terrible, implausible outcome that’s not even REMOTELY plausible and then successfully manage to convince yourself that this is the only possibility. That is, (to paraphrase) by definition, anxiety (irrational thinking), and it is with certain tools that one is able to break the vicious cycle over months of practice and begin to realize that things really aren’t so bad after all.

Trust me; I’ve been there. My anxiety was so bad that I stopped going to classes in my first year of college, stopped eating, skipped finals, dropped out of school, and lived with my anxiety and depression by myself for two years. All of this was while medicated for anxiety. Finally, coming to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to deal with this anymore, I did the research and literally re-programmed my brain. I just finished my first semester back at school with a 3.72 (Chem-E major) and I’ve never felt better in my life.

I realize you must be skeptical, so I’ve attached several videos and articles you can watch that support my side of the case (feel free to argue with videos of your own or just disregard my post entirely, either one works for me). See:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/srikumar_rao_plug_into_your_hard_wired_happiness.html

There’s also evidence to suggest that, over time, when one is able to alter the way they think, their brain and body physically respond accordingly and begin to produce the chemicals needed to balance one’s deficiencies.

To OP: again, I would just recommend:
Ashwagandha (for stress and anxiety)
Holy Basil (take in place of and if the ashwagandha causes drowsiness)
Rhodiola (memory, attention, etc if needed)
Fish-oils (fish-oil is an anti-inflammatory and it is known that chronic inflammation leads to depression)
Also, don’t be self-conscious about your image. It’s fine to want to improve (i certainly do), but don’t stress over it. Accept what you’ve been given, but more importantly; work with what you have. You can’t change that, so why worry about it? Just get on a decent split or program, eat well and enough, and you’ll do great. I realize that’s easier said than done for someone with anxiety, but coming to that conclusion for yourself will do you wonders. Take creatine if you can stomach it, but if you can’t then don’t worry about it. I just tell myself it’s not functional, lol.

Best of luck.

Really, really sorry for the lengthy post, lol.

Zooguido,

Thank you for all the information, and congratulations on your rebound. I’m not trying to commandeer the thread but I appreciate the links as well.

I’m actually going to be trying to wean myself off of celexa soon, for career-related reasons.

OP, good luck.