Antiquity's Training Log: Just plugging away

Which is why SE is the way to go when beginning a BB block

Too many meatheads want to keep the barbell in so go for the Strength First however SE complements the E work beautifully. The running is a breeze when you compare it to the later SE sessions

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s been great to “force” myself from barbell work and change my focus. Also, it really takes going through the Base Building as-is to see the logic and effectiveness of the layout. When I looked at it on paper, I was thinking “Why do the runs in that order? We not rotate them the SE? Why not do more SE and only run twice a week?”. But there’s definitely a rhyme and reason to it all.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more @antiquity mate

1/06/2021

Figured I’d list this, as I usually just include everything in single post.

PM light calisthenics and mobility work:

40 pull ups, 80 push ups. Done using 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 rep scheme for pull ups, and doubling each number with push ups. I usually do ring dips, but already closed up the garage for the night.

I also like doing some mobility work with this. Some paused, hip-opening squats with a light KB, some KB halos, bridges, twists, and lame-looking easy yoga stretches.

1 Like

I almost went with max strength instead of SE the first five weeks. Glad I didn’t. Agree that it is the way to go.

2 Likes

1/07/2021

Base building Week 3. LSS run.

AM
5.17 mile run at 8:48 pace.

PM
Easy calisthenics/mobility

Pull ups: 12, 10, 8, 6, 6 = 42 total
Ring dips: same

1/08/2021

Base building Week 3. S/E 2x40 workout

2 rounds of:
40 KB swings (36 KG or 80 lbs)
40 push ups
40 inverted ring rows
40 goblet squats (22 KG bell, or 50 lbs)
40 ab wheel roll outs
40 band pull aparts

Total time was about 25 minutes. I forgot to check exactly.

Notes:. Was no big deal mentally after the 3x40, but of course still tough. Did an easy 5 min on Airdyne to warm up and then another 5 to cool down.

Pro tip: don’t put goji berries in a smoothie. The bag said to try them in smoothies. The bag lied.

3 Likes

1/09/2021

Base building, Week 3. Recovery Day.

Went to the Santa Cruz mountains and did a 50 minute hike with the wife and our sons. Very pretty out there. Nothing strenuous, but plenty of gradual uphill.

Had planned on getting in a short calisthenics/KB workout this afternoon, but I decided against it. My body is telling me to just rest and take it easy, after the week of work, workouts, and political turmoil. Gonna do some reading and football watching instead. Plus, I’ve got a long run tomorrow.

4 Likes

1/10/2021

Base building; LSS day of Week 3 (last workout of Week 3)

AM (8:30).

8.2 mile run. Took about 1:15. My damn Apple watch always malfunctions on runs. It tracked it well until about 6 miles, then started switching to different activities for some odd reason (elliptical, walking, weight lifting) for 2 minutes each. Damn thing. Was cold, relatively, for NorCal this time of the year, about 45 degrees F during the run. Felt really good and easy, and was the best “runner’s high” I’ve had since starting Base Building. Made it back for the kickoff of Baltimore/TENN).

PM (around the start of Chicago/NO playoff game)

42 chin ups, 42 ring dips. I’ve been following the “Fighter Pull Up Program” rep scheme, which is by Pavel (or at least on his strongfirst site). Done 12, 10, 8, 8, 6. You keep increasing reps by 2 each time, starting at the end and making you’re way up until you increase the first set by two, then start over again. I like the ring dips right after while resting. Mentally a really easy way to get some reps in, while still light enough work to not mess up the program.

4 Likes

1/12/2021

Week 4, Day 1. SE 1x50 day.

1 round of:

50 KB swings (36 KG or 80 lbs)
50 push ups
50 inverted ring rows
50 goblet squats (22 KG bell, or 50 lbs)
50 ab wheel roll outs
50 band pull aparts

Total time ~17 minutes.

Notes: Did swings, push ups, and pull aparts as unbroken sets. Took 1 minute between exercises. Knowing it was just one time through made it mentally pretty easy. I feel like the 3x50 will need to be treated more a marathon, and I’ll pace myself even in the first round. Did 12.5 minutes on the Airdyne also.

3 Likes

I’ll crack the jokes mate

3 Likes

1/13/2021

Week 4, Day 2.

6.26 mile run at a 9:31 pace..

Notes: I think I need to eat more! For the first time, I feel really wiped out today after the run. Gotta get more calories, but for whatever reason running doesn’t make me want to eat a big meal. I think I’ll refrain from the extra work I was doing (pull ups and dips) for today, and just rest up for tomorrow’s run.

1/14/2021

Actually, soon after posting my log yesterday I was hit hard with a stomach bug or something I ate. Nausea and chills for about 7-8 hours. Not sure what brought it on, but that explains why I felt so wiped out yesterday afternoon as this was no doubt creeping in. Gonna have to take the day off, and try to get food back in me and my energy back up. Glad it was quick, but man that sucked.

1 Like

Ouch man

Nothing worse!

1/15/2020

Week 4, second LSS run of the week:

6.41 miles at 9:34 pace.

Later: 12, 10, 10, 8, 6 pull ups matched with ring dips.

Notes: What a difference a day makes! After an evening of puking and a day of recovering, I bounced back pretty quick. Felt fine today, so was able to stick to the week’s plan.

2 Likes

1/16/2021

Week 4, second Strength/Endurance of the week:

1 round of:

50 KB swings (36 KG or 80 lbs)
50 push ups
50 inverted ring rows
50 goblet squats (22 KG bell, or 50 lbs)
50 ab wheel roll outs
50 band pull aparts

Total time: 14:10.

Notes: Beat my time earlier in the week. Also got in 15 minutes on the Airdyne. The “only one round” was a nice break this week. Now, gotta go watch some football.

3 Likes

Next week mate, next week

1 Like

Stop reminding me. I’m trying to bask in the glory of a finished workout here.

1 Like

1/17/2021

Week 4, Base Building. LSS run (third of the week)

AM: 10.04 miles at 9:40. Took 98 minutes 31 seconds, HR average = 128.

PM: 12, 12, 10, 8, 6 pull ups, matched with ring dips (48 of each)

Notes: This is the end of the 4th week, and will be longest run I do as part of Base Building. This week did 6.2, 6.4, and 10 miles, and will taper down to ~5, 5, and 7 next week. The run wasn’t too bad at all considering it was 10 miles. Beautiful day here, and the weather was in the mid 50’s even in the morning. Just a bit stiff as the day wore on but no problems. Rewarded myself with a gigantic burrito from Eduardo’s. It was the most fantastic thing I ever ate.

1 Like

1/19/2021

Week 5, Day 1 of Base Building. S/E 3x50 AKA the day from Hell.

3 rounds of:

50 KB swings (36 KG; 80 lbs)
50 push ups
50 inverted ring rows
50 goblet squats (22 KG bell; 50 lbs)
50 ab wheel roll outs
50 band pull aparts

Total time: 49:13

Notes: Okay, I was mentally ready for this. I ran 10 miles two days ago and had this workout circled on my Calendar from the beginning. Yes, it sucked and was very hard, but by this point I felt ready for it. I have learned throughout this program to treat the Strength / Endurance work like a long endurance run and not a weightlifting session. I kept my head down and steadily got through it. My goal was 50 minutes, and I did. Feels great to knock this workout and the 10 mile run off the list! It’s amazing how much I have progressed at running and these strength/endurance workouts in the last month. Can’t say I’m won’t be sorry to move on to barbell work, but it’s definitely been worthwhile to take this on. Still 4 weeks left in this base building phase, and then I’ll post an update on where I’m at weight and physique-wise.

5 Likes