Antiquity's Training Log: Just plugging away

Buy a second set.

Follow me for more life hacks

Good tip. I just priced them out: about $150 for Rogue rings and the mounting bracket. Seems like a steep price to pay for just being lazy.

What he said

II
V

1 Like

Plastic rings on their own, plus tow straps, suspended from a pullup bar, is waaaaay cheaper.

2 Likes

I’ve had these for a few years and have put them through their paces:

Elite Sportz Gymnastic Rings

They’re still going strong.

1 Like

7/26/2021

Light PM work:

100 reverse curls
50 lat raises
50 pull aparts

1 Like

7/27/2021

AM strength work:

Back Squats:
115 lbs x 10 reps
155 lbs x 10
205 lbs x 10
255 lbs x 10

2x10 standing ab wheels
2x15x255 lbs barbell shrugs

Weight vest circuit (30 lbs):
80 push ups
40 pull ups
125 squats

Notes: Pretty standard workout for me these days. I’ve hit 10 reps at 255 lbs for a few workouts in a row, so thinking of bumping it up next time. My new vest is a Tribe WOD, and I definitely recommend them:

I’m currently all-in on the weight vest training, although I know myself and I’ll eventually find some new obsession to focus on.

2 Likes

7/28/2021

AM conditioning:

Modified Murph WOD

3 miles on the Airdyne

100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 air squats

3 miles on the Airdyne

Time ~42 minutes

Notes: This was a fun way to get in some work. I wasn’t racing, just moving at a decent clip like a Walrus workout. No weight vest like a real Murph. These “value added” airdyne workouts are great, much better than a straight up airdyne workout. Taking queues from others, this extra, lighter strength work seems to help with recovery for barbell training.

3 Likes

7/29/2021

AM strength:

OHP, used 5’s PRO to work up to:
1x5x145 lbs
1x9x135 lbs

Barbell shrugs:
2x16x235 lbs

Standing wheel:
2x10

Weight vest circuit, divided into 5 rounds:
50 reps OHP (95 lbs)
40 ring pull ups
120 walking lunges

Notes: Was dragging a bit this morning, but still hit a PR on OHP at 135 lbs. Goal is to get 10, and I’m right there.

Current goals:
Hit 135 lbs for 10 reps on OHP
Hit 235 lbs for 10 reps on BP
Hit 275 lbs for 10 reps on BSQ
Get 435 lbs for a single on DL

1 Like

Congrats, man. That’s nice work!

10 is within reach for sure.

Thanks man! I remember a few years back barely being able to get 135 overhead, so it’s great to see results. I may give all these goals a solid try this week, because the week after I’ll be doing some traveling and won’t have barbell access for at least 4 days or so.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! It also means there’s hope for me. :slight_smile:

This reminds me, I’ve got a question about 5/3/1 that maybe you can answer: When you have to miss a week (due to travel, in my case), do you know what JW says about where to pick up when you resume?

I’m scheduled to hit a 1s week but I will be without access to a barbell/gym most of next week. I’ll be trying to do some bodyweight/band stuff while I’m away, but was thinking of repeating this week before getting back on schedule.

Is that reasonable? Should I just pick right up with the scheduled lifts? Is there some other approach JW recommends when a cycle gets interrupted?

Edit: Please feel free to pick this up over in my log (Becoming Canis dirus) if you have any advice but prefer not to clog up your log.

I think it depends on the length of time you missed, other activities you were able to do, and your research trajectory. It would always be fine just to restart the cycle at the 5’s week to be stay safe and if you’re playing the long game. But if you stayed active on your break, were hitting all your reps explosively in the last cycle, and feel good to go when you return, you can pick right up where you left off.

Happy to hear if others think differently.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. What you’re saying here makes complete sense. Guess I’ll play it by ear and see how I feel upon my return. Mostly just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a specific approach somewhere in the books.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@SvenG
If it is only one week off, I would either just play on and do the week you missed (the 1s week) or I would repeat the week I just did (the 3’s week). But I also agree with the above on that if you aren’t in a rush just start the block again. So as you can see there is literally no right answer here and JW would probably say some scolding about worrying about the details and to jsut get the fk on with it. LOL

1 Like

Yes, likely this. LOL

Cheers!

1 Like

Whats your training schedule @antiquity ? I really like the look of what you are doing lately. I am gearing up for something new and not sure I know yet.

Do you still follow the TB2 conditioning at all? Are you doing 2 a days?

For strength work, I have gravitated toward starting with a barbell lift (DL, OHP, BP, and BSQ), using 5’s PRO, 531 PR, Widowmaker, or a something similar. This depends on the lift and what I prefer for each.

I then throw on a weight vest and do a WaLRUS circuit. Usually push ups, pull ups, and squats but also dips/presses, rows, or lunges/snatches. I just set a rep goal and divide it by 5 and do it circuit style.

Lately I’ve added a “transition” between them. I have been choosing heavy barbell shrugs and ab wheels. Here, it’s a chance to get some work in while also giving myself a mental reset between the barbell work and weight vest work.

Ex)
TB DL, 5’s PRO

2x15-20 barbell shrugs
2x10 standing ab wheels

Weight vest circuit with 30 lb vest:
5x5 TB DL at FSL weigth
5x8-10 pull ups
5x20 push ups

Something like this.

1 Like

Kind of. I have been doing Airdyne with things like burpees/swings/calisthenics. Pretty close to TB 2 workouts. Sometimes I’ll find a WOD or just make something up.

I have been adding some easy evening work in a few times a week. Like 100 reverse curls, 100 pull aparts or similar. This isn’t set in stone, but I see it more as an extra and don’t even post it many times. For example, I did 100 push up and 100 curls tonight but didn’t post it.

1 Like

Solid consistent work as always. Would never expect anything less

2 Likes