Antiperspirant Deodorant

[quote]silencer wrote:
well Aluminum ihibits magnesium absorption in the body (you can find tons of posts on this in the search engine, based on the Andro Wars article i think)…

so if you care about magensium or take ZMA you might wanna reconsider.[/quote]

Are you eating your deoderant? And if so, how does it taste?

[quote]silencer wrote:
by the way, most anti-perspirants contain aluminum, and aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. just a good thing to know. i’m still gonna use it today tho for example cause i got a final exam. probably not in summer break.[/quote]

I have to say, I don’t use anti-p for this reason either. Paranoid or not, something doesn’t seem right about smearing aluminum on my armpits and clogging up my pores so it won’t sweat. Doesn’t seem natural that way, say what you will.

Also, if you wear white t-shirts a lot like I do, anti-p gives you those nice yellow armpits. That’s rust. That too seems a bit nasty to be absorbing through the skin. Ever since I started using deodorant, I’ve lost the crusty yellow armpit syndrome.

[quote]Tank53 wrote:
silencer wrote:
by the way, most anti-perspirants contain aluminum, and aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. just a good thing to know. i’m still gonna use it today tho for example cause i got a final exam. probably not in summer break.

I have to say, I don’t use anti-p for this reason either. Paranoid or not, something doesn’t seem right about smearing aluminum on my armpits and clogging up my pores so it won’t sweat. Doesn’t seem natural that way, say what you will.

Also, if you wear white t-shirts a lot like I do, anti-p gives you those nice yellow armpits. That’s rust. That too seems a bit nasty to be absorbing through the skin. Ever since I started using deodorant, I’ve lost the crusty yellow armpit syndrome. [/quote]

Now that is interesting to note…

What deodorant do you use? I have also heard that the anti-white-flakey-shit can cause yellow too…

[quote]Tank53 wrote:
Also, if you wear white t-shirts a lot like I do, anti-p gives you those nice yellow armpits. That’s rust. That too seems a bit nasty to be absorbing through the skin. Ever since I started using deodorant, I’ve lost the crusty yellow armpit syndrome. [/quote]

So, armpits magically give aluminum the power to rust?

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
Tank53 wrote:
Also, if you wear white t-shirts a lot like I do, anti-p gives you those nice yellow armpits. That’s rust. That too seems a bit nasty to be absorbing through the skin. Ever since I started using deodorant, I’ve lost the crusty yellow armpit syndrome.

So, armpits magically give aluminum the power to rust?[/quote]

You enjoy being deliberately obtuse, don’t you?

aluminum + moisture + air = rust. Duh.

Now, I’m not sure I totally buy that theory, but it does seem to make sense.

I don’t sweat nearly as much as most so sweaty pits are rarely a problem for me. Whenever I use an anti-perspirant though, I sweat profusely. I don’t know why this happens, but I avoid all anti-perspirants because of it.

[quote]swiperfox wrote:
I don’t sweat nearly as much as most so sweaty pits are rarely a problem for me. Whenever I use an anti-perspirant though, I sweat profusely. I don’t know why this happens, but I avoid all anti-perspirants because of it. [/quote]

Same thing here. I used to use Anti-perspirant and had sweaty pits, now I use deoderant and I am not so sweaty. Kinda strange but there it is.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Tank53 wrote:
silencer wrote:
by the way, most anti-perspirants contain aluminum, and aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. just a good thing to know. i’m still gonna use it today tho for example cause i got a final exam. probably not in summer break.

Now that is interesting to note…

What deodorant do you use? I have also heard that the anti-white-flakey-shit can cause yellow too…

[/quote]

I use OId Spice High Endurance.

[quote]wtagye wrote:
swiperfox wrote:
I don’t sweat nearly as much as most so sweaty pits are rarely a problem for me. Whenever I use an anti-perspirant though, I sweat profusely. I don’t know why this happens, but I avoid all anti-perspirants because of it.

Same thing here. I used to use Anti-perspirant and had sweaty pits, now I use deoderant and I am not so sweaty. Kinda strange but there it is. [/quote]

I believe that comes back to what Anti-p does. Its supposed to prevent you from sweating. Its not a 100% perfect job however. But obviously the reason for sweating is to cool off the body. Though I’ve never heard of such a thing, I wouldnt be surprised if the body would try to sweat MORE since sweat cannot be released as effectively under your arm pits because of anti-p.

I do not think sweating in our armpits is very important to keeping cool. The surface area is too small to matter.

It is more likely a throwback to our caveman days. It is a place to carry our identifying odors. That is probably why are armpits are so hairy to. The hair helps retain the odor.

I would not cover my body in antiperspirant, but I do use it on my armpits.

And Prof X, thanks for clearing up the alzheimers myth. I can’t stand it when people spread disinformation.

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:
Tank53 wrote:

So, armpits magically give aluminum the power to rust?

You enjoy being deliberately obtuse, don’t you?

aluminum + moisture + air = rust. Duh.

Now, I’m not sure I totally buy that theory, but it does seem to make sense.
[/quote]

Aluminum doesn’t rust, it oxidizes. Ferritic metal rust (i.e iron and steel).

I would like to know what causes the yellow pit stains, I think its just the chemicals and sweat that stain your shirt. Is there a brand name that anybody knows of that doesn’t cause this? Once on a different Antiperpirant, I even had red pit stains…gross.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It is more likely a throwback to our caveman days. It is a place to carry our identifying odors. That is probably why are armpits are so hairy to. The hair helps retain the odor.
[/quote]

That’s one reason I shave mine. No bad odor from me.

But I still have my natural pheromones kicking to attract the ladies.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

[/quote]

WTF - You are joking right ?

[quote]atroopan wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

WTF - You are joking right ?[/quote]

Nope, can’t say I am. I’ve shaved my arm pits for 9 years now. And yes, shaving your pits decreases any chance of body odor when sweating.

What part of that do you not follow?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I do not think sweating in our armpits is very important to keeping cool. The surface area is too small to matter.
[/quote]

Actually zap, that’s not so true. The reason armpit sweating is effective is not due to the surface area, but to the proximity of a large circulating blood volume to the surface of the body. At least, as an EMT I was instructed that the quickest way to help lower a fever is by placing ice packs under the arms, near the groin, and around the neck.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Nope, can’t say I am. I’ve shaved my arm pits for 9 years now. And yes, shaving your pits decreases any chance of body odor when sweating.

[/quote]

Huh.

I am sweatier and smellier when I shave.

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Huh.

I am sweatier and smellier when I shave.[/quote]

That’s because you don’t shower.

Dirty hippy! :wink:

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Gothic77 wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Huh.

I am sweatier and smellier when I shave.

That’s because you don’t shower.

Dirty hippy! :wink:
[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]baretta wrote:
Aluminum doesn’t rust, it oxidizes. Ferritic metal rust (i.e iron and steel).
[/quote]

That is not entirely true. If you pour some mercury on aluminum, it will certainly rust–and quickly. The next time you board a plane, toss some on one of the wings and see how excited everyone gets.

As for the stains, I have been using Mitchum clear gel and I have not received any of the yellow stains that I used to get in high school after P.E. using Right Guard.

this may sound strange but i take mint rubbing alcohol and put a teaspoon of iodine in it and dab it under my arm for deoderant, works better on hairless arms…