Antibiotics While On

I am 6 to 7 weeks into a Test and Mast cycle. I think I might need to go on antibiotics for an infection. I’m nervous about putting all this shit in my body. Does anybody know about the interaction? Thanks…

[quote]MassiveClass wrote:
I am 6 to 7 weeks into a Test and Mast cycle. I think I might need to go on antibiotics for an infection. I’m nervous about putting all this shit in my body. Does anybody know about the interaction? Thanks…[/quote]

I have been in this situation. Although it is not ideal to be taking antibiotics with a steroid cycle it will not kill you, but it will slow your progress.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Make sure you get yourself some probiotic pills with at least 4 billion live organisms in each pill, with a variety of different types of bacteria in them.

This will repopulate your intestinal flora, which will be decimated by the antibiotics.

This is important for two reasons:

You need your ‘good’ bacteria to digest the food you need to recover and grow.

If you don’t repopulate with ‘good’ bacteria, you allow the ‘bad’ bacteria that normally live inside your gut but are held in balance by the competition with the good bacteria a chance to multiply, creating more problems with your digestion.

My suggestion would be to take your antibiotic cap, wait for about 1-2 hours for it to be absorbed, and then take a probiotic pill.

Bushy[/quote]

Where were you when I was facing the same dilemma Bushy? Could have saved me some time bra. Great advice; I did a bunch of research and bought some probiotics at the health food store but I didn’t know if it was at all critical enough to post as advice; I can’t say if it did any good or not, but it probably did.

I must say though that I did feel a lull in progress and some additional soreness when I first started on the antibiotic.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Make sure you get yourself some probiotic pills with at least 4 billion live organisms in each pill, with a variety of different types of bacteria in them.

This will repopulate your intestinal flora, which will be decimated by the antibiotics.

This is important for two reasons:

You need your ‘good’ bacteria to digest the food you need to recover and grow.

If you don’t repopulate with ‘good’ bacteria, you allow the ‘bad’ bacteria that normally live inside your gut but are held in balance by the competition with the good bacteria a chance to multiply, creating more problems with your digestion.

My suggestion would be to take your antibiotic cap, wait for about 1-2 hours for it to be absorbed, and then take a probiotic pill.

Bushy

Where were you when I was facing the same dilemma Bushy? Could have saved me some time bra. Great advice; I did a bunch of research and bought some probiotics at the health food store but I didn’t know if it was at all critical enough to post as advice; I can’t say if it did any good or not, but it probably did.

I must say though that I did feel a lull in progress and some additional soreness when I first started on the antibiotic. [/quote]

Thanks bushy! I’m already taking the yogurt with L. casei, and I’ll add in some other good bateria as well.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

LOL, the yoghurt thing is a great marketing ploy (one that I have fallen for myself in the past), but once you look into it, you’ll seethat it really is just a gimmick, as the amouint of live culture that survives the pH of the stomach is really miniscule, that is if any makes it through whatsoever…

The advantage of a pill is that whilst the bacteria on the surface of said pill may be exposed to the stomach environment, a huge proportion make it into the small intestine unharmed, where they can disburse and multiply.

Bushy[/quote]

I’m not trying to call you out, but just curious… I assume you’re referring to enteric coated pills, which dissolve in the small intestines and not the stomach. Judging by what you typed it would seem the pills you are taking do dissolve in the stomach, but only partially, allowing for much of the rest of the pill to dissolve in the intestines.

This is flawed reasoning because if anything is going to be only partially dissolved in the environment of the stomach there is no way it would continue to be broken down in the intestines. This assumes the small intestines would be able to break down something more readily than the stomach could, not including specially formulated enteric coatings which are not broken down by the stomach to any significant extent.

Anyway, just wondering if I’ve been mislead or something. I haven’t looked into how enteric coatings work beyond the simple explanation I was presented, which I gave above. Thanks.

You know, this is really more a debate about taking probiotics with antibiotics, which is definitely important, but not what I was asking about. I wanted to know if taking antibiotics while “on” would negatively impact, say, my liver or something.

Regardless, “live” yogurt is the oldest and probably the best way to replenish intestinal flora, but pills are great too. There’s a product called Culturelle you can buy at any pharmacy that’s designed to be taking during and after a course of antibiotics. Culturelle and most of the yogurts are clinically proven, so I think you are both right and wrong!

To have a better idea of possible interactions we would need both the steroids and other agents you are using as well as the antibiotic class or even bette its name.

In terms of probiotics, the antibiotics you’ll be using with be at bacteria killing concentration for all the time you’ll be on it and in your system possibly much longer depending on the antibiotics so in all probability, taking probiotics during might not provide relief but depending on the half-life of the antibiotics, within the week or two after you’ve stopped the course (which should be completer if it needs to be reminded) you couldd supplement with your probiotic cultures and not have them die off as they attempt to colonize your intestine.

Anyway, hope everything goes fine for you.

AlexH

[quote]MassiveClass wrote:
You know, this is really more a debate about taking probiotics with antibiotics, which is definitely important, but not what I was asking about. I wanted to know if taking antibiotics while “on” would negatively impact, say, my liver or something.

Regardless, “live” yogurt is the oldest and probably the best way to replenish intestinal flora, but pills are great too. There’s a product called Culturelle you can buy at any pharmacy that’s designed to be taking during and after a course of antibiotics. Culturelle and most of the yogurts are clinically proven, so I think you are both right and wrong![/quote]

The answer to your question is very subjective. I mean, the question shouldn’t really be whether or not antibiotics will negatively impact your liver in conjunction with your gear as much as it should be “how will it effect your immune system?” The impact to your liver will be harsh if you are taking oral steroids vs. injectable period; I believe that is why another member suggested that you provide more information.

The big picture here is that the anitbiotics are somewhat working against AAS and should be avoided. However, if you must take antibiotics to rid your body of some harmful bacteria then you probably should follow your doctor’s advice else you will feel like shit and have a bad cycle anyway. Your “risk” will be to the success of your cycle and to the potential harm to your immune system, not necessarily your liver.

Just caught this thread folks - I work for a large pharma company, specifically with anti-biotics. For anyone engaging in any kind of dynamic/ballistic training, which would be everyone (I would hope) on this site, Antibiotics in the quinolone class (moxifloxacin, levofloxacin, gatiflox, ciprofloxacin etc) can create a greater risk for tendon ruptures.

Why? no one really knows, but it has been observed and noted in the PI for most of these drugs. While this is FAR LESS than 1% for the general population, you are at a greater risk for it while training aggressively, while ingesting anyone of those antibiotics - the trade off is that this is one of the most potent & efficaious classes in the market, and if you need to get better ‘fast’ these compounds will do the best job. So contingent upon what they placed you one, and what your issue is, just be aware.

one last thing that I didn’t address - regarding drug-drug interactions, it is very unlikely that you would have any issues due to an oral antibiotic while on AAS. Although without knowing what you’re on, I can’t say for certain.

If you’re really concerned about it, type in the name of the antiobiotic that you’re on into google, and look up the prescribing information on line. All drug drug interactions, contraindications etc will be listed there.

I have a very cool doctor and have been honest with him about what I use and he gives me regular blood work to be sure that I am not killing myself too badly or anything. Anyway, I got a bad staph infection in my quad a while back from some dirty test and was on some major antibiotics for it.

I asked my doc if there would be any problems and he said that it wasn’t an issue. I was using a combo of Test E, fina and proviron. I had to be on a huge dose of antibiotics (2 grams+ a day) for almost 3 weeks and I continued the the test and proviron throughout. I did stop the fina for a week and a half since I was too sick to really train. My blood work came back a-ok.

It sounds like you’re cool then man - the oral antibiotic obviously did the trick (it sounds like he may have had you on augmentin or another pennicilin based product), and again, should not have had any contraindications or drug-drug with your gear - it’s good that you were up front with your doc just to be safe.

Not a good idea to go off your injectable steroids while sick.

Since AAS Suppresses Adrenal function, when AAS is quit cold turkey, Cortisol has a field day. Rebound catabolism, and suppression of your immune system. Not a great time for this to happen when you are fighting off an infection.

[quote]Jason Randall wrote:
Just caught this thread folks - I work for a large pharma company, specifically with anti-biotics. For anyone engaging in any kind of dynamic/ballistic training, which would be everyone (I would hope) on this site, Antibiotics in the quinolone class (moxifloxacin, levofloxacin, gatiflox, ciprofloxacin etc) can create a greater risk for tendon ruptures.

Why? no one really knows, but it has been observed and noted in the PI for most of these drugs. While this is FAR LESS than 1% for the general population, you are at a greater risk for it while training aggressively, while ingesting anyone of those antibiotics - the trade off is that this is one of the most potent & efficaious classes in the market, and if you need to get better ‘fast’ these compounds will do the best job. So contingent upon what they placed you one, and what your issue is, just be aware.[/quote]

Great stuff bra…thanks.

Thanks to all of you. I think I already said I was on Test E and Mast, but someone asked about that. The Dr. prescribed me 1 Cipro, which I took Sunday afternoon, and 14 days of tetracycline (I think, or some variant of it) which I started Sunday evening.

I skipped the gym Monday and today (Tuesday) and might still need a few more days off. So far I just feel extremely weak and I had a really bad bout of the runs. My next inject is tomorrow and I plan to keep on with my E3D schedule. I’ve got more than a month left on the cycle, so I’m sure I can make up for lost time.