Anti-Racism Justified or Overbearing?

[quote]brian.m wrote:
this thread is in reference to something i see come up frequently on T-Nation, and all over, and was wondering where everyone stands on the point
i was going to reply in “FUNNY THINGS BLACK PEOPLE DO” thread, but decided it comes up enough that it deserves its own thread rather than cluttering up another one

Please be respectful as this is one of the largest actual problems when these things are discussed, not the fact that we are different from each other
so i was hoping that we could all exchange ideas in a place where everyone can say their piece, and hopefully we’ll have a bit more insight (for those interested

of course if we’re coming from different places, with different experiences we’ll not always agree…but we are never going to fucking agree on everything, and we should be able to accept to accept this, but it seems to be suprisingly difficult for many

from what i’ve seen, people who are so adamant to make sure no one is ever offended or even acknowledge that different people are different (whether it be individual or to try to assosiate one self with a certain image) are way more of a problem then the people who can mention it without getting all up in arms but see that the details dont make up the person (or groups/colours of persons) and laugh with each other when its there turn to be the centre of the

personally, i would WAY rather hear somebody mention something that(may or may not be true, or it may be a regional thing) that i havn’t thought of before, or make a joke about white people to my face (provided it is not delivered in hostility) than have 100 whiney bitches afraid that somebody might take something the wrong way

i cant see imagine that when people stop using logic as to whether or not something is actually offensive or not as possibly helping any problem.
IF we’re truely trying to erradicate a problem(racism?) , rather then just looking for an excuse to get mad. i dont think that this issue is limited to race in any way, and that it overlaps into many other areas but as this is getting long, i’ll try to keep it just to that

…BUT i will say This… - if everyone stopped looking for excuses to get angry (myself included if tired/hungry/whatever), we’d all be doin alot better[/quote]

I am latino, and the most racism I have encountered in my life has come from black people. I will deal with any man with respect if they do the same with me, but when you come to me thinking your owed something and try to get over on me. Then we have a problem.

Its hard for people in general to get over their preconceived notions of others , but when you do, you meet some very decent and good people.

It’s political correctness combined with a complete lack of humor.

I like the old school guys who can jab at each other a little and have fun about whether or not you are a stupid pollock or a drunken mick, or even worse- a spaghetti bending dago.

That type of humor and banter has fallen to the sword of the thin skinned politically correct. Everything has to be sterilized to the point of being non-offensive and safe for the children.

Except for stuff that is directed at Canadians. They deserve everything that they get.

Ummm, just watch this…

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
That type of humor and banter has fallen to the sword of the thin skinned politically correct. Everything has to be sterilized to the point of being non-offensive and safe for the children.
[/quote]

Yeah, you know it was a shame they got rid of golliwogs and the black and white minstrel show. That was good old-fashioned entertainment. It’s political correctness gone mad!

edit:

I used to be amazed at how easy it was for some people to be offended. I guess it was because I rarely took the time to be offended. I usually became curious or intrigued well before I ever thought to become offended. I would rather engage the conversation further, see if the other party could develop their rational further so that I can at least “try on” their perspective, if only for a moment. If I cannot develop some sense of where someone is coming from then I have no way to understand or communicate with them.

One gem of information I picked up years ago has had a huge impact on my life. Reading Stephen Covey’s “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” I came upon the sixth habit: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Until you can fully understand a persons point of view, you cannot speak to them in a way they can understand where you are coming from. If I am so thin skinned that I become easily offended it is unlikely that I will ever be able to connect with others at a deeper level.

In addition, I also believe that some people a so easily offended because it is a quick and easy way to gain significance with little to no effort. Think about it. If I become offended I get attention, whether positive or negative. I become important in the moment. My star shines brightly if only for a short time and I have to put out little to no effort. If I play my cards right, people will start to alter their behavior to suit me. I will therefore hold a certain amount of power over them.

Just my 2 cents. I’m of to eat tacos with my little ones…

I used to be amazed at how easy it was for some people to be offended. I guess it was because I rarely took the time to be offended. I usually became curious or intrigued well before I ever thought to become offended. I would rather engage the conversation further, see if the other party could develop their rational further so that I can at least “try on” their perspective, if only for a moment. If I cannot develop some sense of where someone is coming from then I have no way to understand or communicate with them.

One gem of information I picked up years ago has had a huge impact on my life. Reading Stephen Covey’s “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” I came upon the sixth habit: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Until you can fully understand a persons point of view, you cannot speak to them in a way they can understand where you are coming from. If I am so thin skinned that I become easily offended it is unlikely that I will ever be able to connect with others at a deeper level.

In addition, I also believe that some people a so easily offended because it is a quick and easy way to gain significance with little to no effort. Think about it. If I become offended I get attention, whether positive or negative. I become important in the moment. My star shines brightly if only for a short time and I have to put out little to no effort. If I play my cards right, people will start to alter their behavior to suit me. I will therefore hold a certain amount of power over them.

Just my 2 cents. I’m of to eat tacos with my little ones…

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Everyone is fucking racist. Idk why people try to deny this fact. Some are more extreme then others.

And no i’m not a skin head or KKK or w/e, two of my closest friends (like brothers to me) are both half black.

I’m being real, some of you need to stop trying to act like your holy saints.[/quote]

LOL.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

Yeah, you know it was a shame they got rid of golliwogs and the black and white minstrel show. That was good old-fashioned entertainment. It’s political correctness gone mad!

edit:

Fuck you ya limy twat.

You’d laugh too but you’re afraid your tooth will fall out.

if people in here think i support racism or that i am simply complaining about either side, i clearly fucked up my origional post

-i was looking for some discussion on what a few different people thought would be the best attitudes and approach to relieve the issue (because it obviously keeps coming up anyways), …or maybe simply ‘not talking about any differences’ might be the best approach, let things work themselves out … i dont know, thats why i wanted to exchange ideas and maybe somebody can benefit

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

I like the old school guys who can jab at each other a little and have fun about whether or not you are a stupid pollock or a drunken mick, or even worse- a spaghetti bending dago.

Except for stuff that is directed at Canadians. They deserve everything that they get.

[/quote]

Agreed.

I fucking hate retards

Black people are alright though

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Rational Gaze wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

edit:

Fuck you ya limy twat.

You’d laugh too but you’re afraid your tooth will fall out.

[/quote]

Classic. I will miss this kind of humor in the coming new world order.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

dont you have a sister to be inseminating or a raccoon to be skinning.

[quote]micus wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

Yes. Your sister. Hahahaha stupid canadian!

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
micus wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

Yes. Your sister. Hahahaha stupid canadian!
[/quote]

i think you mean " hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk stupid canadian!". and watch out, shes kindof into piercings.

yet another wack thread. it seems to be happening a lot lately. interesting how people are thin skinned or butt hurt if they don’t LOL at lame theories or observations posited. sometimes it’s comments not even by the OP. a few threads that have nothing to do with the topic just degenerate into nonsensical musings about negativity. yeah, i said it. negativity. the opposite of enlightenment. having said that, it bothers me more that so many people have trouble distinguishing between the proper usage of then versus than. as a black person, it irks me.

Nah, “Hyuk hyuk hyuck” is for hicks. I’m a jagoff(definition #6). Urban Dictionary: jag off

The sister ain’t bad. Looks like she knows how to have a good time with skewers. You bring her down and we can fire up some nice vermin kebabs.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Nah, “Hyuk hyuk hyuck” is for hicks. I’m a jagoff(definition #6). Urban Dictionary: jag off

The sister ain’t bad. Looks like she knows how to have a good time with skewers. You bring her down and we can fire up some nice vermin kebabs.
[/quote]

hahahahahaha