Anti-Inflammatory Medication and Bodybuilding

Hey guys,

Have been prescribed an anti-inflammatory (Diclofenac Sodium 50mg three times a day) to relieve extreme knee pain and some wrist issues (knee has disallowed exercise since christmas)

Do anti-inflammatories work against muscle building in any significant way? I would like to continue adding muscle but was wondering if there are any known issues with such medication adversely affecting such goals.
Thank you for your help.

Have you tried a natural way to take care of inflammation?

There was a thread a few weeks back about how to do it naturally.

Flameout is excellent.

This bro-knowledge bullshit is starting to get on my fucking nerves.

How much muscle you gonna build if your joints won’t let you exercise?

Take the meds when you need them for pain and inflammation, don’t listen to these jackasses citing studies that they don’t half know how to read correctly.

2000 plus mg daily before protein synthesis is affected at all, even then it remains unclear how protein synthesis is affected, said the pharmacy guy.

^^^as above guy mentioned if your in pain help yourself if the pain is long term or continuum see your Dr., again.

If the OP was in enough pain he was willing to go to a doctor and get a prescription for it, I’d guess he needs it. And being in that kind of pain should come before trivial concerns about protein synthesis rates.

This just caught me the wrong way, I read a thread yesterday where somebody advised someone to take oxycodone for pain over ibuprofen, which is a world of stupid.

While fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties, they are not the same as ibuprofen or acetaminophen taken once or twice to stop pain and inflammation.

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
If the OP was in enough pain he was willing to go to a doctor and get a prescription for it, I’d guess he needs it. And being in that kind of pain should come before trivial concerns about protein synthesis rates.

This just caught me the wrong way, I read a thread yesterday where somebody advised someone to take oxycodone for pain over ibuprofen, which is a world of stupid.

While fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties, they are not the same as ibuprofen or acetaminophen taken once or twice to stop pain and inflammation.[/quote]

Thanks for the respons. I should have been clearer; the condition is in my knee and hasn’t affected my ability to do upper body exercises. Also, the pain doesn’t materialise unless at very specific angles and loads; this is why I’m able to continue doing most daily activity completely pain-free - just not anything resembling heavy on bent legs.

Also, I’m a bit dubious about the prescription since the GP (general practitioner) didn’t really check my knee out and just threw out the prescription, as is their habit over here. I’ll check with another doc asap. Thanks for the response.

Please post an update as to your progress with the meds.

I have had similar knee issues for a few months now and I saw an orthopedic surgeon who couldn’t find anything wrong.

I finally did leg day last week for the first time in 2 months but I am by no means better.

This bro-knowledge bullshit is starting to get on my fucking nerves.

How much muscle you gonna build if your joints won’t let you exercise?

Take the meds when you need them for pain and inflammation, don’t listen to these jackasses citing studies that they don’t half know how to read correctly.[/quote]

STFU.

He mentioned NOTHING of any type of treatment, or way’s he’s tried dealing with inflammation in the past. He also never said he ‘couldn’t exercise’ because it was so bad.

PS, if you’re going to use a sentence like “…these jackasses citing studies that they don’t half know how to read correctly” you might not want to use phrases like “How much muscle you gonna build…” or “don’t half know how to read.”

And you’re going to argue that fish oils being good for inflammation is “bro-knowledge.” Get the fuck out.

[/quote]

I used to work a physical labor job that resulted in joint pain that I would consider painful enough to see a doctor for. Flameout solved the problem.

You “guess” he needs it. But then again, OP said his doctor didn’t even check out his knee, so maybe that’s what he did, too. Well done, “future pharm[acologist?].”

Drag stupidity from another thread in here. Again, well done.

[quote]
While fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties, they are not the same as ibuprofen or acetaminophen taken once or twice to stop pain and inflammation.[/quote]

Clearly they’re not the same. Either way, I’d rather be taking fish oil daily than ibuprofen or acetominophen daily.

If he NEEDS his Rx, he needs it, but taking fish oil and other natural anti-inflammatories aren’t going to hurt.

Taking fish oil for extreme knee pain isn’t going to solve anything, you moron. Don’t tell me he didn’t mention a treatment, either, he specifically mentioned Diclofenac 50 mg. He also said he couldn’t exercise since Christmas, which sounds pretty serious to me.

Fish oil is useful for low-grade inflammation, not acute inflammation associated with an injury. I’m not saying it doesn’t have uses, but it isn’t going to work nearly as quickly or thoroughly as a short-term course of Diclofenac would. You implied in your first post that he should try to “do it naturally” which isn’t based in any scientific fact, it’s you contributing to the bro-knowledge- and there are people in these forums (like you) who latch on to this shit and believe it to be true.