T Nation

Anti-Inflammatory Attack Plan

i have an interest in adding anti-inflammatory elements into my diet. ive had some tendon and/or ligament issues in the past, and once in awhile my knee gets inflamed if I’m not careful which is an annoyance. I’ve found a number of things to help me over a period of time…

#1 Fish Oil: mega-dosing on a constant basis. I try to get at least 15 grams of it depending on what brand I’m using. If using a high EPA/DHA supp like Flameout you need substantially less caps.

#2 Other good fats: I try to avoid starchy carbs and take in a higher fat intake than most lifters. I find this helps over the long run.

#3 Garlic: I’m a poor student so instead of garlic in capped form I chop and mince up a clove of garlic before bed and down it as fast as I can with water…

#4 Turmeric / Circumin: I’ve just started using this more by itself. I’ve always had it in food, but I’m trying one teaspoon a day before bed. Will definately cap this though, its wayyyy to strong. Anyone have any idea of dosages? Can I OD on this stuff?

#5 Cissus RX: I use the USP labs product in bulk form for cheapness, i think its a 10% extract. I take about 15 grams a day. it worked wonders on some elbow problems i’ve had… it tastes horrible though.

Anyone have any other ideas or any comments on my regime

this looks good. please update on the the effectiveness of tumeric. Garlic is an anti-inflammatory as well.

actually i posted the turmeric being terrible in powder form without trying it; i just assumed. i just ate 4g of it. just put the powder on your tongue and wash down with water. not bad at all, pleasant compared to cissus. also i should mention if you are eating garlic raw you should make sure to chew it or mince it up before eating to help release the active compounds

Good plan. Pretty much what I’d follow.

You can also play around with celery seed extract. I saw literature that mentioned studies done using 20 mg to 400 mg (that’s not a typo, that was the actual range) per 25 lbs of body weight. I would suggest you do your own digging, though; probably best to find a clarification on that dosage.

People have also said good things about rubbing DMSO on joints, and I have had a member tell me that DMSO is best absorbed as a 70% solution and that there is literature around confirming this. So, you might have to dilute it if you can acquire some.

Good luck and let us know how your plan goes.

[quote]fatcat wrote:
i have an interest in adding anti-inflammatory elements into my diet. ive had some tendon and/or ligament issues in the past, and once in awhile my knee gets inflamed if I’m not careful which is an annoyance. I’ve found a number of things to help me over a period of time…

#1 Fish Oil: mega-dosing on a constant basis. I try to get at least 15 grams of it depending on what brand I’m using. If using a high EPA/DHA supp like Flameout you need substantially less caps.

#2 Other good fats: I try to avoid starchy carbs and take in a higher fat intake than most lifters. I find this helps over the long run.

#3 Garlic: I’m a poor student so instead of garlic in capped form I chop and mince up a clove of garlic before bed and down it as fast as I can with water…

#4 Turmeric / Circumin: I’ve just started using this more by itself. I’ve always had it in food, but I’m trying one teaspoon a day before bed. Will definately cap this though, its wayyyy to strong. Anyone have any idea of dosages? Can I OD on this stuff?

#5 Cissus RX: I use the USP labs product in bulk form for cheapness, i think its a 10% extract. I take about 15 grams a day. it worked wonders on some elbow problems i’ve had… it tastes horrible though.

[/quote]

Somehow i think people “overdo” it on the anti inflammatorys.

I knew people who used to have Vitamin C after a workout for the inflamation! Sometimes inflammation is good.

1. Fish Oil at least 20g a day all of them BEFORE your train.

2. Vitamin C: 1000 when you get up and before bed.

3)Superfood or else eat alot of alkaline veggies.

Between those 3, i REALLY dont see why you need more… unless your sleep is absolutely atrocious… that is one of the best cures for anything … that and water.

Yes, I agree with the above.

CHRONIC inflammation is what we should be watching, and that needs to be addressed about 48 hours post stimulus (PWO). If the area is inflamed, that is when we should be taking care of it, NOT immediately PWO.

Anyway, the OP knows his body, I am sure. Good luck.

celebrex

[quote]300andabove wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Somehow i think people “overdo” it on the anti inflammatorys.

I knew people who used to have Vitamin C after a workout for the inflamation! Sometimes inflammation is good.

1. Fish Oil at least 20g a day all of them BEFORE your train.

2. Vitamin C: 1000 when you get up and before bed.

3)Superfood or else eat alot of alkaline veggies.

Between those 3, i REALLY dont see why you need more… unless your sleep is absolutely atrocious… that is one of the best cures for anything … that and water.
[/quote]

Just sounds like good preventative medicine. Why wait until your inflamed to have attack plan?

my “attack plan” for about 1.5 years now

1. 30+ grams fish oil daily (~ 10 grams EPA + DHA)

2. “strongly anti-inflammatory” whole foods such as olive oil, onions, almonds, carrots, etc.

check out nutritiondata.com for their inflammation rating system to get an idea

1. keep starchy carbs and significant carb meals in general to breakfast and PWO

2. lots of fiber with each meal (except PWO)

3. no refined oils like sunflower, canola, soybean, corn, nut, seed

4. obvious one but have fruits or veggies with every meal (yes even PWO)

• minimal DOMS
  • minimal tendon issues
  • clear skin
  • minimal skin oil production
  • no joint issues ever unless i injure myself
  • no headaches ever
  • much more difficult to bruise

essentially i go through nutritiondata.com and realize that all the good mass building foods like beef, eggs, dairy and starchy carbs are “strongly inflammatory” which means if i want a large portion of them in a meal i need an even LARGER portion of anti-inflammatory foods added to it

I’m currently taking:Fish Oils, Turmeric, MSM and Vitamin C for a biceps tendon issue.

I’ve heard that taking Advil, or a COX -2 might interfere with your own ability to build muscle.

Would this be the case in taking fish oils, Turmeric, MSM and Vitamin C? I doubt it but wanted your thoughts

Tart Cherry juice is very good.

I heard coconut oil.

Large quantity and variety Fruits & Vegatables.

walking.

This is all good but it’s important to see the cause of any specific inflammation your having.

[quote]fatcat wrote:

[/quote]

I’m currently using about 1100 mg of Tumeric/Circumin and about 4 g a day of Cissus and those seem to be working pretty well for me.

What is Cissus? I’ve never heard of it?

[quote]fatcat wrote:

[/quote]

Lots of vegetables and/or Superfood to balance the Ph of meals. Overly acidic meals promote inflammation.

Glucosamine chondroiton is of course legit.