Anti-Hip Hop

I love just about all music, just not every artist in everu genre of that type of music. This fact alone is what kills me about people that are anti hip hop…Expressing one’s hatred for rap is too much of a generalization for me to take a “hater” seriously.

Usually I ask them if they like Ali, MLK, or doo wop…set to a different beat and enunciated differently it somehow becomes, dare I say, “rap”. Rap, like rock, county, jazz etc…, has many genres that most people aren’t familiar. Ask them which types of rap they don’t like and see what bumbling answers they come up with and how they back themselves into a corner with their ignorance.

I personally don’t like the Doors, Beatles, Eagles, most female vocalists, Nirvana, Young Buck, but I wouldn’t say that I hate ALL rock, ALL Country, or ALL female vocalists.

If you like to listen to something, great…but if you don’t like to listen to it and someone else does, that’s great too because variety is the spice of life.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Most of it sucks moose balls but so did most of the crappy rock and roll they played on the radio when I was a kid.

Most popular music does not stand up to the test of time.[/quote]

yep, most of that Glam Metal of the 80s was horrible.

I think now a days the same thing is happening with the MAIN STREAM Hip-Hop. Similar beats, and similar topics… just check todays, last month, & 6 months ago Top 40s. (The same is happening with spanish Reggeton)

I do like some Main Stream Hip-Hop/Reggeton, because its good for grinnin’ :wink:

[quote]cadav wrote:
i don’t like hip hop cause the way it “sounds” hurt my CNS. It make me feel angry in a way i don’t like… as taxes for example… i don’t know way. Polka give me the same feelings…[/quote]

I feel like break dancing while I listen to it… eventhough I am that good at break dance

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:

it’s stronger than me, no more than 40seconds and i’m nervous… at 60s i want to smash everysthing… :smiley:

[quote]cadav wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

it’s stronger than me, no more than 40seconds and i’m nervous… at 60s i want to smash everysthing… :D[/quote]

That’s okay manm try some Brother Bob.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Guys like me don’t like it for many reasons. I don’t like it because they don’t play instruments.

I put it below jazz, rock, and funk. I just put these guys on the same level as Robert plant, Casandra Wilson, or George Clinton. It has nothing to do with prejudice, more the perception that it takes less natural ability to steal someone else’s music and rhyme than to compose a song and use your natural vocal ability with some actual playing instruments.[/quote]

Ever heard of The Roots?

The rap “music” that is marketed to 13 yr olds is mostly crap. It serves no purpose other than to make the “artists” rich. I know there is some decent rap out there and early rap was much better than a lot of the garbage today. PE was not too bad if you ignored the homophobia. The thing is that the stuff that has some quality is not as popular as the crap. Why? Because, as I said, it is marketed to 13 yr olds (as much of today’s music is) and they prefer the crap.

You see me lookin’ at you, and you already know… I wanna fuck you

Yeah, most people don’t like it because it sucks. It’s not art.

[quote]Ryan555 wrote:
Yeah, most people don’t like it because it sucks. It’s not art.[/quote]

Well you supported your argument quite well! Were you on the debate team at Yale?

[quote]Ryan555 wrote:
Yeah, most people don’t like it because it sucks. It’s not art.[/quote]

Define “most people.”
Define “art.”

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Ryan555 wrote:
Yeah, most people don’t like it because it sucks. It’s not art.

Define “most people.”
Define “art.”[/quote]

I seriously doubt he will come back to defend himself. That would imply he had a clue what he was writing to begin with.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
That’s okay manm try some Brother Bob.

uhm… so the secret is to stack them ;)?

Hip-hop songs are frequently composed of three different motifs, parts, or whatever you want to call them, each consisting of five notes or fewer. If I can write a better, more completely developed piece of music in 10 minutes, then it’s not art. Entertainment, sure, but art it’s not.

I have no problem with hip-hop or people listening to it, but don’t kid yourself that it’s high art.

Hip-hop isn’t dead. It’s just plagued with talentless deadheads that sign their life away to get a record deal. They are then pimped out to all radio stations and MTV as the “big” thing, when they have no substance or meaning to their drivel.

Honestly, groups like The Roots and A Tribe Called Quest and artists like Wyclef should really throw their weight and try to reign in the garbage that is mainstream. Since what we see as maistream is trash, it give the whole genre a bad name.

Personally, I like a lot of hip-hop, gratned it’s older stuff, but still I get it and enjoy the hell out of it.

BTW, Outkast is probably the biggest credit to “mainstream” right now. I’ve been with them for YEARS and they never disappoint.

[quote]Ryan555 wrote:
Hip-hop songs are frequently composed of three different motifs, parts, or whatever you want to call them, each consisting of five notes or fewer. If I can write a better, more completely developed piece of music in 10 minutes, then it’s not art. Entertainment, sure, but art it’s not.

I have no problem with hip-hop or people listening to it, but don’t kid yourself that it’s high art.[/quote]

Interesting. So poetry, according to you, is not art. Art is based on how many notes are used in a piece of music? The crap you just wrote wouldn’t stand up in any first year college music class. Contrary to what you seem to believe, the definition of art in music is not based on what YOU can write.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Ryan555 wrote:

I have no problem with hip-hop or people listening to it, but don’t kid yourself that it’s high art.

Interesting. So poetry, according to you, is not art. Art is based on how many notes are used in a piece of music? The crap you just wrote wouldn’t stand up in any first year college music class. Contrary to what you seem to believe, the definition of art in music is not based on what YOU can write.[/quote]

Again, X, I think this is reference to what is thrown at us from tv and radio. Ya know, the stuff that execs have formualted and produced for their profit. I mean, you have to admit that the stuff you find on any hip-hop station isn’t the gold standard. Sadly you have to search for the real poets and artists.

[quote]Ryan555 wrote:
If I can write a better, more completely developed piece of music in 10 minutes, then it’s not art. Entertainment, sure, but art it’s not.

I have no problem with hip-hop or people listening to it, but don’t kid yourself that it’s high art.[/quote]

What would make your composition better? Or more completely developed?

“The greatest art is created by the fewest strokes, fewest notes, and fewest words”

Elegance of expression in music – the ability to say the most with the fewest notes.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? Don’t worry; I don’t expect a reply. You haven’t answered my first post yet.

[quote]malonetd wrote:Define “most people.”
Define “art.”[/quote]

By “most people,” I meant “most of the people who dislike it.” Sorry for the bad wording.

You can look up the definition of art, but to me, for something to “qualify,” it has to possess a certain expressiveness, if that’s a word. It’s hard to define, and it’s either there or it’s not. It’s not in hip hop.