Anti-Depressants Neuter Your Brain

So I took anti-depressant drugs for a few months a while back. I’ve always been intuitively weary of taking any kind of mood-altering drug, but I gave it a try in the spirit of not being too stubborn. And did I feel less depressed? Absolutely. But I also became completely complacent. It fucking neutered my brain. It made me insensitive to things that were rightfully bothering me because they were legitimate frustrations.

It just made me less prone to react to things and better able to tolerate shitty conditions. That is straight up emasculization! And I just recently read about the well-established scientific fact that SSRI drugs drastically reduce the duration of REM sleep- don’t tell me that’s good for your physical development! And they’re giving that horrible shit to little kids! It’s fucking sickening to me.

I tried them and they made me mentally numb, so I stopped. I think they permanently altered something in a bad way too. Definitely not as good as mother nature’s anti-depressant, pot.

I’ve been using zyban (which is an antidepressant) for the past 2 months to quit smoking. I’ve been trying to gauge the whole anti-depressant thing as well. It definitely gives you this fake mood where you know your not supposed to be happy but you are anyway.

It takes away feeling normal. Not happy or sad. Just normal. I agree with all the things you said in the first paragraph. The sleeping thing especially sucks. I’m looking forward to getting off them.

Im on anti-depressants as well (been on several diff. ones over the past few years, actually) and it sucks, straight up. But right now, I have to take them just to get through the day… i also have a pretty bad case of OCD and anxiety, so all in all, it sucks for my developement - but who said life was fair…

[quote]Diana Bolann wrote:
I tried them and they made me mentally numb, so I stopped. I think they permanently altered something in a bad way too. Definitely not as good as mother nature’s anti-depressant, pot.[/quote]

I got perscribed an antidepresent/anti headache sort of deal called amitriptyline. I felt the same way. i don’t even take it anymore. I felt like my mind was being force fucked into idiocy.

I’d rather feel like shit all day, every day.

I was on 300 mg Wellbutrin XL daily for a couple of months last year. Everything the previous posters have said is dead on. After a while, I felt like my emotions were literally shut off. Things that should have depressed me didn’t and things that should have made me happy didn’t. I was literally numbed to the feelings associated with everyday experiences, good or bad.

I remember I was playing a game of pick-up basketball on a Saturday. And for some reason, I was on that day. I remember hitting about 5 three pointer’s, including back to back game winning three pointers, and feeling no semblance of joy, happiness, or satisfaction.

Conversations with old time friends literally meant nothing to me. After a while, I’d be sitting on the couch in a Wellbutrin/Vodka induced stupor not giving a flying fuck about anything. I was just sitting there buzzing, it felt like I had been lobotomized.

After getting off the meds, things returned to normal. Anti-depressants are hardly a cure. In my eyes, it was nothing more than a replacement for illegal drugs or alcohol. You are just sweeping the dirt under the rug.

Wanna hear something even worse? Right now I am on Zyprexa. Yesterday I was driving, saw a red light, and my brain simply didn’t process that I was supposed to stop. I was paying full attention, but just continued on right through. Almost got hit by three cars. I thank god there was no crash. It’s a horrible feeling when you realize your brain has just malfunctioned though.

Did you know Zyprexa frequently causes insulin resistance and diabetes?

[quote]DeterminedNate wrote:
…in a Wellbutrin/Vodka induced stupor… [/quote]

I’m not trying to be a smartass here, but isn’t that a no-no?

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Did you know Zyprexa frequently causes insulin resistance and diabetes?[/quote]

Yup, I do. It’s a horrible drug. Luckily I am on the anabolic diet, so I am on the optimal diet for Zyprexa. If I gain a single pound of fat I am going to stop taking it though. Knowing that the thousands of hours and thousands of dollars I’ve put into bodybuilding would go to waste just because of a drug would kill me.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

I got perscribed an antidepresent/anti headache sort of deal called amitriptyline. I felt the same way. i don’t even take it anymore. I felt like my mind was being force fucked into idiocy.

I’d rather feel like shit all day, every day.[/quote]

I absolutely agree with this. I’ve been through pretty long, drawn out, very dark depressions before, but I’d rather feel that than give my brain over to some sort of drug. I’ve never taken them, although I DO recognize that they are necessary for some individuals, and I never plan to.

I’d rather be miserable and depressed than numb. I firmly believe that the vast majority of people don’t need drugs, they need some people to talk to and commiserate with. Better than any damn shrink, unless it’s extreme. In a society that is increasingly informationally linked, we are growing more and more emotionally neutered and isolated, and that is a recipe for disaster.

I needed them. My anxiety was overwhelming. But over time I was able to put myself into an increasing number of social situations and reduce my dosage as I became more comfortable. I hate being on them, but I see them as a necessary evil. I think the most important thing is to realize that these things are not a cure. I’d rather feel numb for a little while if it means normal social function for the rest of my life.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

I’d rather feel like shit all day, every day.

I absolutely agree with this. I’ve been through pretty long, drawn out, very dark depressions before, but I’d rather feel that than give my brain over to some sort of drug. I’ve never taken them, although I DO recognize that they are necessary for some individuals, and I never plan to.

I’d rather be miserable and depressed than numb. I firmly believe that the vast majority of people don’t need drugs, they need some people to talk to and commiserate with. Better than any damn shrink, unless it’s extreme. In a society that is increasingly informationally linked, we are growing more and more emotionally neutered and isolated, and that is a recipe for disaster.[/quote]

What’s worse though, is not being able to tell people. Especially when you’re a highschool male. It’s shitty. I’ve had perpetual suicidal, and depressed tendancies since late elementary school. I can’t stand the numbness, lack of clarity, and lack of coherent thinking when on a drug.

Hell, mine wasn’t even prescribed for depression, but for headaches but I looked it up and it’s an antidepressant. Anyone else notice a lack of stable movements, and slight lack ability to speak coherently when on similar drugs?

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
belligerent wrote:

Yup, I do. It’s a horrible drug. Luckily I am on the anabolic diet, so I am on the optimal diet for Zyprexa. If I gain a single pound of fat I am going to stop taking it though. Knowing that the thousands of hours and thousands of dollars I’ve put into bodybuilding would go to waste just because of a drug would kill me. [/quote]

Driving through red lights can have that effect as well.

Think about it.

I’ve been really depressed in the past and never gave into anti depressents…now I have a new problem and one I’d swap for depression anyday of the week, Anxiety and Panic Attacks! Again I’ve been quite good in my attitude and ethos towards taking drugs to ‘solve’ the problem but I’m going away in a week and I cant let it ruin my trip, for the flights I’m gonna have to take Valium if I don’t It would be unbearable, I’d probably have to get off the plane before we take off

I have ADHD and Depression for which I take Addwize (Methylphenidate) and C-pram S(escilatopram oxalate). Most of the posts above talking about brain neutering are right. Thats what I feel when I take them. But I will continue taking them. I guess it all depends on what you think is worse. As much as I dont like the feeling I have when I’m on these meds I hate it even more when depression strikes me or when my impulsive behavior takes over.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Thomas Gabriel wrote:
belligerent wrote:

Yup, I do. It’s a horrible drug. Luckily I am on the anabolic diet, so I am on the optimal diet for Zyprexa. If I gain a single pound of fat I am going to stop taking it though. Knowing that the thousands of hours and thousands of dollars I’ve put into bodybuilding would go to waste just because of a drug would kill me.

Driving through red lights can have that effect as well.

Think about it. [/quote]

Completely agree.

I would re-think taking that drug.

I have similar problems of depression, severe anxiety and attention deficit, while i’m not sure how the other drugs you mentioned function chemically, i would guess they are all maoi’s?
I was put on effexor around a year ago, its an ssri and supposedly different from the typical prozac/paxil shit. And its been treating me well.

I don’t really get that numb brain feeling, if anything i am not more pissed off and aggressive than i was pre-medication. I also enjoy myself a lot more considering i am not constantly nervous or feeling like a complete waste of life.
so just for anyone who really is having trouble dealing without meds, try it out.

One cause of depression is low levels of seratonin in the brain. SSRIs like Paxil reduce the reabsorption of seratonin into the neurons leaving more for the receptors. Having more seratonin avaiable for the receptors leads to a better sense of well being, less may lead to irratability, anxiety, or depression.

SSRIs are not mood altering drugs like alcohol, stimulants, or other depressants. It basically allows your brain to function as if it were normal. The dosage of the SSRI should allow you to feel normal, whatever that may mean to you. You will have to work out the optimized dosage with your MD.

Being depressed or anxious all the time is not normal. Having short periods of feeling down is, but they should go away.

There is nothing wrong with taking antidepressents to treat a medical condition. Not taking them is like not taking vitamins or eating enough food because it is “normal” to feel run down and lethargic. There are side affects but I believe the benefits outway the negatives.

Keep in mind that there are dozens of differant anti-depressants, and they all act differently in different people. There is no exact science as to which one is RIGHT for you. It’s trial and error, as is the correct dosage for an individual.

Saying “all anti-depressants suck” or “neuter your brain” is a misleading, and potentially harmful, statement to make for someone who may need them.

The anti-depressant YOU took didn’t work for YOU.

That’s not to say that the same drug wouldn’t make someone who’s chronically depressed or anxiety ridden finally be able to enjoy their life.

On the other hand, I’ll agree, these drugs are often prescribed to people who don’t actually NEED them.