T Nation

Anti-Cortisol Products?

Does anyone know of some good anti-cortisol supplements? I’ve only heard of a few of them and would just like to know if there are other (or better) options out there. I know of Anabolic Xtreme’s Retain, and I think Palo Alto Labs makes a product called Retain, also. IBE is coming out with one called X-Lean soon.

Any other good ones?

Also, is there a major difference (I assume there is, but one product could do both?) between anti-estrogen and anti-cortisol? Thanks.

Cortisol and estrogen are like apples and oranges bro. As well both have a very bad name of late and seems everyone want to eliminate both when thats a BAD idea we dont want excess of either but both are needed to hell just be healthy and alive let alone make good progress in the gym

I suggest first and foremost read up on both educate yourself on what each is etc THEN think about supplements to control them

Hope that helps
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Cortisol and estrogen are like apples and oranges bro. As well both have a very bad name of late and seems everyone want to eliminate both when thats a BAD idea we dont want excess of either but both are needed to hell just be healthy and alive let alone make good progress in the gym

I suggest first and foremost read up on both educate yourself on what each is etc THEN think about supplements to control them

Hope that helps
Phill[/quote]

I should have said, “how directly related are the two” since I made it sound like I am, more or less, retarded.

Anyway, most of the products that I mentioned do not entirely eliminate cortisol or estrogen, but they do reduce production. Like you said, it would be deleterious for the body if those things were totally eliminated.

Phosphatidylserine 800mr a day, omega 3’s, and BCAA’s

Testosterone - not the magazine, but the “supplement” - is the best “anti-cortisol” product out there.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Testosterone - not the magazine, but the “supplement” - is the best “anti-cortisol” product out there.[/quote]

Stress, physical and mental causes cortisol release, regardless of the testosterone levels of the individual. When that stress happens, cortisol is released, and then muscle breaks down and the subsequent leak of BCAAs causes a huge spike in insulin which causes fat storage.

Some people might really benefit from a cortisol reducing supplement or anti-cort…whatever.

I would suggest if you’re looking into something that might lower cortisol, you should check to see if it’s a problem in the first place. Maybe get a piss test, I believe that’s how they measure it.

Chances could be there is nothing wrong or something completely different is out of whack, it’s really hard to tell by “the feel”

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Testosterone - not the magazine, but the “supplement” - is the best “anti-cortisol” product out there.

Stress, physical and mental causes cortisol release, regardless of the testosterone levels of the individual. When that stress happens, cortisol is released, and then muscle breaks down and the subsequent leak of BCAAs causes a huge spike in insulin which causes fat storage.

Some people might really benefit from a cortisol reducing supplement or anti-cort…whatever. [/quote]

Thanks for the lecture. It illustrates that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Testosterone is the best “anti-cortisol” supplement out there. If you don’t know why that is, and if you don’t know why “anti-cortisol” is in quotes, then you need to spend a lot less time lecturing and a lot more time reading some college textbooks.

Instead of worrying about “blocking” coritsol, it makes a lot more sense to worry about the ratio between cortisol and testosterone. It’s when this ratio is out of whack that you begin experiencing problems.

And wouldn’t you think that highly stressed individuals would (most likely) have a messed up ratio - at least, after a distressing period of time?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Some people might really benefit from a cortisol reducing supplement or anti-cort…whatever.

Thanks for the lecture. It illustrates that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Testosterone is the best “anti-cortisol” supplement out there. If you don’t know why that is, and if you don’t know why “anti-cortisol” is in quotes, then you need to spend a lot less time lecturing and a lot more time reading some college textbooks.

Instead of worrying about “blocking” coritsol, it makes a lot more sense to worry about the ratio between cortisol and testosterone. It’s when this ratio is out of whack that you begin experiencing problems.[/quote]

Well I’d agree with Claw test and certain steroids would be the best anticatabolic but for a legal sup 800mg of phosphatidylserine a day has show in studies to reduce cortisol by 30%. The shit is a little pricey though but I used it and believes it works. It also has a positive effect on mental focus something I could always use more of.

HMB also slows catabolic activity and has proven to burn more fat while dieting. I am a little unsure about its cost effectiveness. I think the price out weighs its benefits but if you have shitloads of money then why not get some extra help.