anti-bodybuilding program

I was wondering when you were going to get around to making a post on this thread! Glad you did - your thoughts are always appreciated! (Watch out for those hippies).

Hey, dude: thanks!

You know, I wanted to clarify a bit on my earlier post. I have trained enough newbies (to weight training) to know that many people don't know what it feels like after you've trained a bicep, tricep or any other muscle for that matter. So, think it's rather important to show 'em the proper mechanics in how to perform, lets say, a standing DB curl. Also, as a competitive bodybuilder, I'm kinda still in the frame of mind (and this is from years of "habit"), to at least incorporate some direct arm work when in precontest. Fer some fine tuning, you know.

But it'll be mostly big compound exercises for me. And after I'm done with competition - that's ALL I'll be doing. What I'm seeing is that the older I get, I just enjoy the simplicity of a training session that is comprised entirely of compound movements. Plus, it's just a bit more challenging, too. And I like that. And I can't forget the added bonus of the nice thickness/density that I've received from training this way.

Hi all - Chad asked a few weeks ago for comments on his Anti-bodybuilding Program that was published a few issues ago. I have just completed the round of the program, and thought some might like to hear the results.

I can only say I’m astounded at how well the program works! I had just completed Ian King’s first 12 week program, in which the last phase focuses on doing few very heavy sets with few reps, when the article came out. I loved the last phase, but I could tell it was affecting my recovery ability, and I was getting bored somewhat. Chad’s routine was just what I was looking for. I was also puzzled about the lack of direct arm work, and the relatively low intensity (ie not training to failure), but I liked the theory and knew of the work Chad had done elsewhere. Having wasted my time over 25 or so years of many rubbish programs, though I would give this a go.

He is spot on about not worrying about arm or shoulder development - it comes with the territory. You get a nice “even” thickness developing in the bis and tris. Ian King’s routines helped sort out some form and muscle imbalances I had, and Chad’s routine lets you continue that, and capitalise on your new strength and form, being so firmly based on compound movements. I also like how simple and quick it is to perform. My weight has stayed much the same over the 3 weeks or so (around 204lb), though I can see there has been some “rearrangement” of definition, and little body fat loss. My diet still isn’t great (but not a disaster either), as I’m grappling with my preference for low carb diet, yet accomodating carbs for post workout nutrition, along with regular carb ups - Timbo’s Carb Refeed thread has come at the right time!

As for my next stage, I have basically swapped the protocols for each day with each other. So days that had exercises done with “10 sets of 3 reps at 80%” are now being done as “60/65/70% for 5 sets of 10 reps”, and vice versa. I’ve also added push press as an alternative vertical plane movement, and substituted two new abs exercises. As I think I understand what Chad is getting at, I’ve also fiddled with starting weights, and adjusted the 60 sec interval, depending on the exercise I’ve just done (I hope Chad will approve!).

Anyway, I think the anti-bodybuilding program is a real eye opener, and well worth investing the 3 or so weeks it takes to try.