T Nation

Anti BB Hypertrophy gets me more sex than ever

OK now I’ve got your attention.
I started on Chad Waterburys Anti BB program.

First thing I did was work out my 1RM. I actually physcially did them rather than by calculation. I’ve never known my 1RM or trained using %of them.

So day 1 chest and back (BP and seated row) 10 sets of 3 at 80% was fine. Squat day 5 sets of 10 at 60% was fine. Day 3 Chest and back (dips and chins) at 5 sets of 10 at 60% was an absolute shambles. I ended up using 25% of my 1RM and squeezing out 5 reps each set instead of 10.

I’m a bit dumbfounded as to why I suddenly plummeted in performance. Any ideas?

Just a clarification, but you used 25% of your max loads for Chinups and Dips? That implies that your 1RM for these lifts is something like 4xBodyweight. Did you forget to calculate your bodyweight into these 1RMs?

Remember, you’re using your bodyweight here also, you need to count it. If you weigh 175lbs and can do a chinup with a 100lb dumbbell, then your 1RM is 275lbs for this lift. 60% of 275 is actually only 165 pounds, so unless you can find a way to add on -10lbs, you need to be using bodyweight for these movements, or an assistance machine.

I had a similar experience only I was fine on the chins and dips day @ 60% but was so soar and not even close to recovered for the next chest/back day. My recovery was not fast enough. I may need to lower something?
Sorry this doesn’t really help you. I am in the same boat though.

Stick to a load that allows you to get the prescribed reps and sets. In other words, make sure you can get 5 sets of 10 reps the first workout and then increase the load 5% from there. I am getting away from prescribing %'s of 1RM’s in my articles. The reason? They can vary so much from person to person depending on: previous training, GPP levels, and muscle fiber ratios. Therefore, I am prescribing RM that aren’t based on a percentage. For instance, the 10 x 3 method should be used with your 5 rep max.
Hope this helps you out.

Oh shit!

I just took 60% of the plates I was hanging off my dip belt, not 60% including my weight. Is it that simple?

And yes 60% of my chin 1RM ends up being less than my body weight! So I guess I do as many body weight chins as I can.

Thanks for the help.

you’re obviously having too much sex, bro…it’s messing with your mind!!!