Anti-Aging Supplements

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions/suggestions on legitamite anti-aging supplements? I’m specifically interested in a combination of acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. From what I’ve read, both are potent antioxidants and free radicals supposedly play a big role in the aging process.

I’m only 28, but the older I get(and closer to 30…gasp!..I get) the more I’m concerned with overall health and longevity.

Yes, acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid are good anti-aging supplements. But I would not take them unless you are taking what I call supplement basics:

–B-50

–1-2 grams of vitamin c per day (in divided doses and preferably the non-acidic ascorbate form)

–at least 400 IU vitamin E

–appropriate trace minerals. These are usually found in a good multi i.e. 200 mcg selenium (to enable the body to produce its own antioxidants), 200 mcg chromium (important in glucose tolerance), 15 mg zinc (important for wound healing and about 100 other reasons)…

–I would add an extra 800 mcg of folic acid to prevent elevated homocysteine (and again many other reasons–folic acid is needed by dividing cells)

–EFAs (EPA/DHA from diet or supplement)

Then I would add grape seed extract, lipoic acid and/or coenzyme Q-10. The exact supplements recommended depends on your family history, what illnesses you are most interested in preventing, etc.

I’ve heard that gerovital is the ultimate ageing supplement?

Iv’e been doing the anti-aging supplement routine for many years now. In addition to the supplements mentioned above I also avoid junk food and eat raw vegetables.

I laughed when I read FCFighter’s one comment “as I get closer to 30 …gasp.” I’m 48, lifting more and running faster than I ever have!

What you do over the next 20 years will determine how you perform when you are in your forties and beyond. Don’t wait do your research and begin your own regime.

Gerovital is now being sold as Vitacel GH-7. I just started on it this past week, headaches the first two days from its claimed cleansing effect, but I’ve already noticed some aches and pains are clearing up, and I’m not as tired at the end of the work day (and I’m out in the 110+ humid Arizona summer heat all day too).

Galvatron,

Do you do anything else for longevity purposes? Such as, vitamins, health food, certain fitness regime etc?

ScottL,
Thanks for the recommendations. That was a pretty thorough list. It looks like you have good knowledge of supplements overall or at least ones that have anti-aging properties.

ZEB,
I’m glad you found my comment about approaching 30 humorous. It was meant as a joke. I’m positive that there are guys 20-30 years older than me that would put me to shame in the gym, on the field, and physique-wise.

I’m just trying to get a jump on things now, so I can still be “in the game” later on. I don’t want to be the typical overweight old man with low T.

Actually I’d like to look like Joe DeFranco’s dad when I’m that age. It’s good to hear testimonials from guys like you too. It gives me hope that I won’t have to give up the things I love when I’m older.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Galvatron,

Do you do anything else for longevity purposes? Such as, vitamins, health food, certain fitness regime etc?[/quote]

I am a strong believer in proteolytic enzymes. Currently using Omnizyme but I just got off the phone with a rep for World Nutrition and I think I am going to try their new Vitalzym X product. There is also a newly discovered enzyme that is apparantly stronger at breaking down arterial plague and lowering cholesterol than even serrapeptase and its called nattokinase. I think I’ll start out with the Rutozym product as its made by the same company as Wobenzym and you can get it without having to see a licensed healthcare practitioner as you would need to if you wanted the version sold by World Nutrition. That’s really about all I do other than lift and your basic vitamins and such. I also try to use an ionic mineral supplement as opposed to just a plain multimineral. My understanding is the ionic form of the minerals allows much better absorption.

FC Fighter- PM me and i’ll give you the name of a great product to try for anti-aging and a web address of where you can get it.

Galvatron

I too strongly believe in enzymes, both digestive and proteolytic. I use them however for specific purposes (e.g. post-op patients).

Do you have heart disease, or a strong family history of it? If not, you’d be better off starting the supplement basics above. If so, then you would still need the B vitamins, extra folic acid, and EFAs.

“basic vitamins and such”.

What I listed above is what I consider basic vitamins and such.

“I also try to use an ionic mineral supplement as opposed to just a plain multimineral. My understanding is the ionic form of the minerals allows much better absorption.”

Not sure what you mean by “ionic minerals”. If you mean the colloidal mineral snake oil, forget it.

Optimum forms for minerals include:

zinc: gluconate, picolinate (picolinates are good for most minerals), there are a few others e.g. optizinc…

selenium: organic forms e.g. selnomethionine and other organic forms are probably preferred over selenium selenate, although this is probably not horrible.

Chromium: there are numerous “GTF” yeast bound or organic forms, chromium picolinate, etc.

Calcium: citrate or citrate malate is best. Aspartate is good too. These do not need HCL to be absorbed and are best for older people. Carbonate is ok, but is literally chalk.

Oxides (frequently used for magnesium) are not very absorbable and cause diarrhea in a small percentage of people (ask me how I know this).

Vanadium: usedful for improving glucose tolerance–there are several newer organic forms e.g. vanadium BMOV with less toxicity then sulfate.

Nattokinase! LOL!

You guys know where that stuff comes from? Natto is a disgusting, slimy fermented soybean product the Japanese eat for breakfast.

If you want to get a jump on this one, go to your local Japanese supermarket and chow down! IIRC it’s dirt cheap. The stuff is supposed to be great for you, but it’s freakin’ weird.

Nick

No I don’t have heart disease or any history of such, but even so with the modest amount of juice I’ve used and will continue to use I might as well treat the ticker to some enzymes specifically for it, I know how well they have worked for joint pain and other ailments so I don’t think this is a stab in the dark.

No, I don’t mean colloidal minerals either. I don’t remember the exact difference between the two, and I’m too lazy to look it up, but if you want to do a search for a fella named Wayne Garland. He has a web site where he sells a variety of products and the core of each one is the ionic minerals. He’s only been studying this stuff for decades now, he could tell you better than I why ionic is better, but all I know is they are the only form I as well as my friends and family have ever really felt while taking.

ALCAR (acetyl L-carnitine) has been gaining respect as the studies on it have been piling up.

Among the benes:
-Antioxidant
-Improved cognitive function (improved memory)
-Cardiovascular benefits
-Improved hearing and visual function
-Reduced stress and depression

It’s worth looking into for many reasons and is also relatively inexpensive.

BodyIQ

You will gain benefit from ALCAR even if you take no vitamin c, or B vitamins, etc., but if you had to pick one supplement you will get more health benefits from taking vitamin C then ALCAR. Similiarly, B vitamins are cofactors for many enzymatic reactions and taking optimum amounts of B vitamins is as important as obtaining enough protein.

Good points Scott

Vitamin C:
How does one determine exectly just how much C is needed and how to split up dosages during the day.
What brands/foods are optimal in this case?

I’m particularly interested in L-carnatine’s role in preventing the damaging effects of glycation (or glycosylation). Also, does anyone have any thoughts on glycation in relation to post-workout supplements containing high-glycemic carbs?

BodyIQ,

From the research that I have done I have determined that 1000MG per day split in doses of two works well for those of us in the 180lb to 200lb weight group.

shreddedmeat,

If you are concerned about “glycation” then I suggest a nutrient called Carnosine. If you like you can go to “Lifeextension.com” type in Carnosine into the search engine and you will get plenty of information.

I use this supplement religiously!

Anyone who is truly interested in life extension products needs to go to the above web site. This is an incredible site! These people are light years ahead of others.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
BodyIQ,

From the research that I have done I have determined that 1000MG per day split in doses of two works well for those of us in the 180lb to 200lb weight group.

shreddedmeat,

If you are concerned about “glycation” then I suggest a nutrient called Carnosine. If you like you can go to “Lifeextension.com” type in Carnosine into the search engine and you will get plenty of information.

I use this supplement religiously!

Anyone who is truly interested in life extension products needs to go to the above web site. This is an incredible site! These people are light years ahead of others.

[/quote]

Can anyone here suggest a good brand of multi-vitamin that can be taken in multiple doses throughout the day. I’m aware that LEF products are good but they are way too expensive for me.

Thanks,

G

[quote]chints wrote:
Can anyone here suggest a good brand of multi-vitamin that can be taken in multiple doses throughout the day. I’m aware that LEF products are good but they are way too expensive for me.

Thanks,

G[/quote]

I use Supernutrition’s Perfect Blend #2. It’s pricey compared to other multis (~$0.40/day for 2 tabs), but I don’t know what your definition of “way too expensive” is. They recommend either 2 or 4 tabs a day, so it’s already dosed to be broken up.

It seems like they don’t allow discounting on the product, at least I haven’t found it cheaper online yet, so I just buy it at Whole Foods.

Nick

Twinlab daily two without iron + some vitamin c is a good start.

Zeb you probably need at least twice that.

Scott