Anthony Ditillo on Training Intensity

[quote]
While on the subject of training intensity, I would like to offer my personal opinions and observations on this subject. It seems to be a popular concept that for the best results the trainee should attempt to perform as many reps as physically possible until complete failure takes place within the muscles being worked. I would agree that in some instances this type of intensity would seem to be most productive, but on the whole, I have found very few men who can maintain this level of mental stress for any length of time. Furthermore, the higher the level of physical accomplishment on the part of the lifter, the harder it is for him to accommodate to this type and level of accentuated stress. Do you think that the top level powerlifters of today are grinding out sets and failing at the end of every one of them? For the most part, and during the main part of the training year, I do not think so. What I do think they are doing is reducing the number of worthless lighter sets and taking rather large weight jumps between each set, while concentrating on performing almost as many reps as possible for each set in their desired workout.

The beauty of this type of training is that the muscles become more deeply stimulated without excessive nerve depletion which the other method would certainly bring about. In this way, the muscles are greatly strengthened while your level of nervous energy is not seriously depleted as to bring on emotional or mental staleness, which is, in itself, more insidious than physical staleness. Furthermore, such training with maximum poundages performed for various numbers of sets and repetitions will also stimulate your entire physical system, thereby allowing easier recuperation and hence more productive workouts. We must remember that the champions today are practically being pharmaceutically produced and while I respect and admire each and every one of them, we must take into consideration the aid these various pharmaceutical products will give to the individual; and hence, enable him to recuperate from mental and physical stresses which otherwise would cripple him both mentally, physically and emotionally.
So while I humbly admit that the champions today would still be the champions even if all drug usage would stop, it is hard to try to emulate these men without using drugs. [/quote]

I didn’t know who this guy was until a few months ago but if you see anything written by him you should look it over - he has passed away however. Really good stuff!

Another good quote - i need a power rack!

I have started to do board presses cutting the range in half or more and 1/2 deadlifts, off 2 milk crates. I really enjoy “power building”.

Not sure but i believe in this statement he’s referring to a max triple or something, has the main objective. Not building volume for someone who wants to build muscle and strength but rather lift the most has possible.

In other words pure power lifting. :slight_smile:

No comments? Boring message board…

You’ve not asked a question, you’ve just told us you like ‘power building’ great, what did u want people say, the article itself i agree with but do you expect people to comment just to agree? an if you wanted more responses a different section would be preferable

Yeah probably, just thought i would spark a discussion.