T Nation

Anterior Shoulder Dislocation

1)First dislocation 20 yo. stayed out for 1,5 hours
2)It was due to a hard blow on my outstretched arm.
3)I immobilised and stretched it a bit the last 14 days.
4)I am pain free for the most part except for the front of my shoulder to my chest sometimes.
5)Starting physio this week.MRI CANNOT BE DONE
6)RC are strong and i have almost full range of motion painfree.
7) Should i get the surgery? i dont care about bench and OH stuff, i care about pulling strength
(pull-ups and rowing movements). I will be performing vertical and horizontal pulling motions in the future. no contact sports.

Why are you considering surgery?

I was told that there could be permanent damage done and that since i am 20 yo chances are i will be dislocating again. In the future i need to be able to do pull-ups (bw) and rowing motions and have a strong back for my favorite sports(non impact). So u say no need for surgery?

Okay so anyone who had a single shoulder dislocation and no issues after rehab?

What sport is it?

I imagine if it’s not a contact sport you should be fine. But it depends, is it basketball? That would put your shoulder at risk. Or is it rowing? That would be no problem.

I had surgery last year and it is a pain. I had 30 or more dislocations so I didn’t have a choice. 7 months of rehab every day. At the start you need to do it 5 times a day, then 3 months a day for about 4 months, then every day. It’s a lot of work (not to mention costly and painful) and should only be a last resort.

It seems i should wait and rehab and if it happens again then surgery. Yeah I row and training involves lots of pulling: pull ups, bb rows, deadlifts. so i should have no problem with those?

It’s just unusual to have surgery for a first dislocation unless there was significant associated damage ie labrum tears etc.
Yes your shoulder will be more susceptible to repetitive dislocation which is why correct rehabilitation is important. And please don’t dislocate it again if possible…

When it has been repetitively dislocated and is unstable is when they typically operate.
Hopefully you can give your shoulder capsule a chance to tighten up again.

Yeah i will just rehab the shit out of it the next 4 weeks, there should not be any other damage since it is pain free for the most part it only cracks with external rotation…

I am 21 and have had my right shoulder dislocated 3 seperate times all from very big hits ( Foot ball, Airborne, and bad fall from a hip throw) and after having it reset it hurts like hell for a few days but nothing a anti inflamitory and some pain killers wouldn’t fix. I wouldn’t even consider surgery for it total over kill but its your shoulder. You a younger guy meaning you have a much better chance of it healing and being just fine than a older individual. I personally say have it reset, take pre and rehab very seriously and slowly work back into training it.

Take it as a sign that you need to devote a month or two or even three to destroying your lower body.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I am 21 and have had my right shoulder dislocated 3 seperate times all from very big hits ( Foot ball, Airborne, and bad fall from a hip throw) and after having it reset it hurts like hell for a few days but nothing a anti inflamitory and some pain killers wouldn’t fix. I wouldn’t even consider surgery for it total over kill but its your shoulder. You a younger guy meaning you have a much better chance of it healing and being just fine than a older individual. I personally say have it reset, take pre and rehab very seriously and slowly work back into training it.

Take it as a sign that you need to devote a month or two or even three to destroying your lower body. [/quote]

thats helpful testimony i will avoid surgery, as far as lower body lifts go are front squats okay 2 weeks after a dislocation (provided im painfree performing them)?

It’s only 2 weeks out so I would definitely avoid any movement which puts your shoulder in the pre dislocation position. Assuming it was an anterior dislocation? I would avoid any back squats for a while…

[quote]Mr Stern wrote:
It’s only 2 weeks out so I would definitely avoid any movement which puts your shoulder in the pre dislocation position. Assuming it was an anterior dislocation? I would avoid any back squats for a while…[/quote]

Yes it was anterior dislocation, you are right back squats are a no go for now, what do you think about front squats?

[quote]seademon wrote:

[quote]Mr Stern wrote:
It’s only 2 weeks out so I would definitely avoid any movement which puts your shoulder in the pre dislocation position. Assuming it was an anterior dislocation? I would avoid any back squats for a while…[/quote]

Yes it was anterior dislocation, you are right back squats are a no go for now, what do you think about front squats?[/quote]

I would avoid in the mean time to let it heal a little first. Probably wouldn’t be a problem in the future, just thats what I would suggest in the early stages. I would say try doing some leg press instead, i know it’s practically blasphemy to suggest this. But you’re young and the last thing you want to do is take a chance.

Maybe I’m being over cautious and it’s really up to you. But I’m sure waiting another few weeks to allow your ligaments to tighten back up really isn’t the worst idea. You’ve only one shoulder and surgery would put you out for longer than that.

Well technically 2 shoulders but you need both hey!

[quote]seademon wrote:

[quote]Mr Stern wrote:
It’s only 2 weeks out so I would definitely avoid any movement which puts your shoulder in the pre dislocation position. Assuming it was an anterior dislocation? I would avoid any back squats for a while…[/quote]

Yes it was anterior dislocation, you are right back squats are a no go for now, what do you think about front squats?[/quote]

Have you seen a physio? He/she should be going through do’s and don’t with you.

I agree with Stern though, in my experience (and I have done a lot of these) you should just let it heal and do the exercises the physio gives you. After 4-6 weeks you can go to the gym to do leg weights (machines, not free weights).

It’s about a 12 week process. You will be able to front squat no issues once you have the all clear from the physio. But until then you will be prone to your shoulder slipping and doing more damage.

thx for your responses! all good points, i will wait 4 weeks after the dislocation happened before going back to front squats, i will not be seeing a physio for another two weeks(no availability) so i will start rehabbing my shoulder dislocation myself…any links that would show me how to do the rehab for an anterior shoulder dislocation?