Anterior Deltoid Workout Without Overhead Lifts

So i seperated a rib from my sternum and long story short i cant do any overhead work (i.e. shoulder press). Do you know of any anterior deltoid workouts that dont involve anything overhead. I’ve already come up with neutral grip db bench. Anything else? Thanks alot

Front Raises?

S

Show the rear delt some love.

I had the same injury from rugby about 4/5 months ago and it wasn’t fixed until Christmas (I continued to play and couldn’t get it sorted without rest for 3/4 weeks). If you’re not seeing a sports physio about it then I would advise you to do so.

I found loading any movement on my upper body (including squats) would hurt a lot so I pretty much kept training to a minimum until I was better. If you’re able to do neutral grip incline presses then that would hit your front delt. Just put the incline as high as you can go without it hurting. Also light rear and lateral raises if possible are really your only other options.

Even now I still find it difficult to overhead press without using a neutral grip so I would just advise you to not force your body into doing anything that hurts.

I used rubber bands and iso movements and figured out which movement I could use.

And ART

focus on other muscle groups until you recover, there’s no point in blasting your shoulders at this point :slight_smile:

[quote]Barret wrote:
focus on other muscle groups until you recover, there’s no point in blasting your shoulders at this point :)[/quote]

To be more specific, not exactly.

Depends on the injury. Yes, take some time off. Last injury lasted a month for me. Getting some blood to the area is a good thing IMO. Flushes out the bad stuff. We are not talking blasting, but light weights (i was using the lightest rubber band at first), then progressed to iso-metrics movements. The only thing was NO PAIN. As soon as you feel something, STOP.

Combine that with ART and yoga, you will recup much faster then “waiting” for your shoulder to get better

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]Barret wrote:
focus on other muscle groups until you recover, there’s no point in blasting your shoulders at this point :)[/quote]

To be more specific, not exactly.

Depends on the injury. Yes, take some time off. Last injury lasted a month for me. Getting some blood to the area is a good thing IMO. Flushes out the bad stuff. We are not talking blasting, but light weights (i was using the lightest rubber band at first), then progressed to iso-metrics movements. The only thing was NO PAIN. As soon as you feel something, STOP.

Combine that with ART and yoga, you will recup much faster then “waiting” for your shoulder to get better[/quote]

I can only agree with you :slight_smile:

[quote]The Rattler wrote:
I had the same injury from rugby about 4/5 months ago and it wasn’t fixed until Christmas (I continued to play and couldn’t get it sorted without rest for 3/4 weeks). If you’re not seeing a sports physio about it then I would advise you to do so.

I found loading any movement on my upper body (including squats) would hurt a lot so I pretty much kept training to a minimum until I was better. If you’re able to do neutral grip incline presses then that would hit your front delt. Just put the incline as high as you can go without it hurting. Also light rear and lateral raises if possible are really your only other options.

Even now I still find it difficult to overhead press without using a neutral grip so I would just advise you to not force your body into doing anything that hurts. [/quote]

cool man thanks alot. couple questions. what if anything did the physio do for you? i saw a doctor but he just taped it and said to rest. Also how long did it take to feel 100 percent again?

[quote]Colton28 wrote:

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

Even now I still find it difficult to overhead press without using a neutral grip so I would just advise you to not force your body into doing anything that hurts. [/quote]

cool man thanks alot. couple questions. what if anything did the physio do for you? i saw a doctor but he just taped it and said to rest. Also how long did it take to feel 100 percent again?
[/quote]

What he told me I had done to my ribs was ‘dislodged’ them so I think this is the same as yours, if not very similar. The physio spent about 4 weeks ‘working’ my ribs back into place my pushing down through my front and back. He said said the ribs on my right hand side (injured side) didn’t have as much ‘spring’ as the ribs on the left hand side. After the physio decided that I had enough flexibility/ROM in my shoulder and that my ribs were back in place/nearly back in place he got me doing basic shoulder exercises with bands.

It’s been 5 months now since my injury happened but probably 2 months since I saw somebody about it and while the ROM in my shoulder is definitely full I still feel pain if I do overhead pressing unless using a neutral grip. I can do raises for all deltoids.

A doctor isn’t going to be able to do anything for you, the worst thing you can do is just leave it because your ribs will just heal in their new position which definitely isn’t ideal. I know for sure that if I hadn’t left it to continue playing rugby then I wouldn’t have the problems with overhead pressing I currently do.

x2 on the rear delt love hahaha.

I get enough stimulus from training chest and shoulders to considering training my anterior shoulder muscle.

Maybe I should tho, I wonder If the added (direct) stimulation would cause my whole shoulder to grow more?