T Nation

Antagonists For Squats & Deads

I’m wondering what would make good antagonist exercises for my squat and deadlifting days…

delphicly,
Noa

I’m assuming you do these on different days?
Squats—stiff legged or good am
deads----lunges or front squats

Sorry, forgot to mention i do squats and deads on different days. Good options you gave me. I’m sort of looking for an antagonist that’s a bit easier than the main excercise wich is my focus for that workout. Thanks for the input.
delphicly,
Noa

Grab a machine if you want a ‘no-efforter’.

Deadlift antagonist is hard though, it kinda works everything. Depends how you do them of course. Maybe you can just curl in the squat rack between sets?

For deadlifts and squats I’d say hanging pikes or strict sit-ups. Leg pulls also work-its the one exercise a total gym is good for. Plate drags would work similarly. Band hip raises. If your deads are standard with a lot of hams, barbell hack squats.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Grab a machine if you want a ‘no-efforter’.

Deadlift antagonist is hard though, it kinda works everything. Depends how you do them of course. Maybe you can just curl in the squat rack between sets?[/quote]

I’d agree with the machine option if you want something easy.

For squats: leg curl, stiff-leg deadlifts, or glute-ham raises
For deadlifts: leg press with a narrow foot placement, front squats, or maybe some kind of ab exercise.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
For deadlifts and squats I’d say hanging pikes or strict sit-ups. [/quote]

I concur with Mertdawg. On the pikes really focus on usinig your hips. It should fry them pretty good.