Antagonistic Training vs Push/Pull/Legs

Thoughts on antagonistic training vs push/pull/legs 2x/week? I’d like to hear from people who have previously tried both splits and what results, comparative advantages/disadvantages each approach had.

For example:

Split 1

Chest/Back
Delts/Arms
Legs/Abs
Chest/Back
Delts/Arms
Legs/Abs
Off

Split 2

Chest/Delts/Tris
Back/Biceps
Legs/Abs
Chest/Delts/Tris
Back/Biceps
Legs/Abs
Off

It goes without saying you’d have to approach either split with a massive caloric surplus and a de-load week when you’re body needs it.

How about
Day 1-Chest, back, shoulders
Day 2-legs, abs, arms
day 3-off
Day 4-Chest, back, shoulders
Day 5-legs, abs, arms
Day 5-off
Day 6-off

Makes more sense to me, I don’t see shoulders or arms being major muscles, needing they’re own day, on chest back day, if you do, bench -row, than military - pullup, followed by dips, laterals, flyes. Than on legs and arm day, you could either superset legs, and curls (what I do) or do legs, and spend 15-20 min on bis at end of workout.

Depending what your goals are, this makes more sense to me personaly, and if you must workout 5 days a week your second split is a better choice. 2 cents

Doesn’t matter. Your body will adjust to either. Personally, I like to hit chest and back with too much volume to do them on the same day, but it’s your preference afterall.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
How about
Day 1-Chest, back, shoulders
Day 2-legs, abs, arms
day 3-off
Day 4-Chest, back, shoulders
Day 5-legs, abs, arms
Day 5-off
Day 6-off

Makes more sense to me, I don’t see shoulders or arms being major muscles, needing they’re own day, on chest back day, if you do, bench -row, than military - pullup, followed by dips, laterals, flyes. Than on legs and arm day, you could either superset legs, and curls (what I do) or do legs, and spend 15-20 min on bis at end of workout.

Depending what your goals are, this makes more sense to me personaly, and if you must workout 5 days a week your second split is a better choice. 2 cents[/quote]

Why cram everything into just two workouts when you can spread it out and yield greater intensity?

Be careful posting on a BBing site stating “shoulders or arms aren’t major muscles”…lol. I know what you mean, but then again…I really don’t.

The OP’s goals from what I could gather didn’t seem BBing based, from a strength, athletics stand point, devoting a day to arms, shoulders, dosen’t have much merit. Anyway not out to pick a fight just posting my 2cents, for the OP to consider. Goodluck

I’ve done both:

3 day PPL
as well as Antagonistic Training Split

and the PPL felt better, for me at least.

The antagonistic, gets tricky, after you do some heavy ass benching or whatever, and then you have to jump on lat-pull-downs and expect no form-breakdown or intensity change… it just wasn’t comfortable for me(I’m talking like 1.5 months into the program).

PPL on the other hand was just fine. It allowed me to really master the few moves I was doing each day to perfection, so I could solely focus on muscle recruitment and isolation of muscle groups rather than worrying if my form is OK and all the other shit that comes with super-setting every. single. exercise.

both will probably yield similar results. do the one you want to do the most.