Ant Heads... What The Hell?

I keep finding ant heads around my house. What kind of killer beast would have such raw power?

[quote]hazerfazer wrote:
I keep finding ant heads around my house. What kind of killer beast would have such raw power?[/quote]

I sneak into your house while you’re asleep and rip the heads off of your ants.

Also, I’m stealing your bricks… one by one

This explanation is somewhat dependent on your location and the species of ant head. There is a fly in the family Phoridae(most look like black fruit flies) that is a parasitoid of the red imported fire ant(RIFA). The adult fly swoops on to the ant and jabs an egg into the ant. Upon hatching the maggot migrates to the ant’s head and begins to feed.

At a certain stage of the maggot’s development it excretes an enzyme which weakens the ant head’s attachment to it’s body, causing the head to fall off. The fly completes its development and emerges for the ant head. That is the exciting, zebra hunt possibility.

More likely, you have two different species of ants in your house and they are locked in constant war. Decapitation is the most common way ants dispatch other ants.
If you live the southeast there is the distinct possibility you are infested with the RIFA. If that is the case, for God’s sake don’t get stung. I have heard it hurts like hell.

wow, bugs are sweet.

I think the question is, do you find ant heads, or do you look for them?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
wow, bugs are sweet. [/quote]

no actually they taste more like a sweet-bitter taste.

I’m in youur House bitin your ant heads off

Quite possibly one of the most interesting posts I have ever read on T-Nation.

I wonder what it must have felt like, to be a relative lurker, for who knows how long, and then, BAM! The question. The one that was just made for you. What are the odds?

And I thought my posts about Japan were technically original…Nice work, barbos.

[quote]barbos01 wrote:
This explanation is somewhat dependent on your location and the species of ant head. There is a fly in the family Phoridae(most look like black fruit flies) that is a parasitoid of the red imported fire ant(RIFA). The adult fly swoops on to the ant and jabs an egg into the ant. Upon hatching the maggot migrates to the ant’s head and begins to feed.

At a certain stage of the maggot’s development it excretes an enzyme which weakens the ant head’s attachment to it’s body, causing the head to fall off. The fly completes its development and emerges for the ant head. That is the exciting, zebra hunt possibility.

More likely, you have two different species of ants in your house and they are locked in constant war. Decapitation is the most common way ants dispatch other ants.
If you live the southeast there is the distinct possibility you are infested with the RIFA. If that is the case, for God’s sake don’t get stung. I have heard it hurts like hell. [/quote]

[quote]barbos01 wrote:

If you live the southeast there is the distinct possibility you are infested with the RIFA. If that is the case, for God’s sake don’t get stung. I have heard it hurts like hell. [/quote]

You should write a movie about this.

this thread is awesome.

Man, I wanna get me some guard ants!

Why does 80% of the joy in my life come from T-Nation?

More on this strange phenomenon

http://www.ars.usda.gov/fireant/phorid.htm

Ants are fuckin bad ass…cant they lift like 10 times their bodyweight or something insane like that??? imagine a human having strength like that! nevermind all the decapatation and eggs that hatch out of heads and shit, thats just crazy stuff, love it

[quote]barbos01 wrote:

Damn.

I was going to blame this on “Mountain Man”…but, he eats the head, thorax and abdomen…whole…so that’s out.

[quote]shawninjapan wrote:
Quite possibly one of the most interesting posts I have ever read on T-Nation.

I wonder what it must have felt like, to be a relative lurker, for who knows how long, and then, BAM! The question. The one that was just made for you. What are the odds?

And I thought my posts about Japan were technically original…Nice work, barbos.

[/quote]

I don’t know that I am a lurker per se, I have been on the forums for a number of years now. I am not what you would call conversational poster. I only post when something angries up my blood, or I feel I have something to contribute.

That said, I took a class in biological control(got an A too). Insect people tend to be really wonky about this stuff. Nature is gruesome.

That is some of the most fascinating shit I have ever read. It would be really cool to be an entomologist.

Jackjumper ants in New Zealand are pretty bad ass. 1 sting can kill a guy in like 20 minutes I believe.

Then there’s the army ants in Africa. No stingers. The big ones will bite into your skin and then the little ants will just dive into the wound and start chewing.

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
Ants are fuckin bad ass…cant they lift like 10 times their bodyweight or something insane like that??? imagine a human having strength like that! nevermind all the decapatation and eggs that hatch out of heads and shit, thats just crazy stuff, love it[/quote]

Nature, you are disgusting.

When are the birds and beasts going to learn to shoot and bomb one another like we civilized folk?

[quote]comedypedro wrote:
barbos01 wrote:

If you live the southeast there is the distinct possibility you are infested with the RIFA. If that is the case, for God’s sake don’t get stung. I have heard it hurts like hell.

Damn.[/quote]

Grissom, stop wasting time on the forums and get back to your crime lab. Don’t you have more criminals to catch?

Seriously, that was pretty cool. You aren’t really Gil Grissom are you, ant man? :slight_smile:

How would you feel if you were killed alive by ants?