Another WS4SB Critique...

I started it yesterday, doing ME upper body.

Flat bench press:

95x5
135x5
155x5
185x5
205x5
215x5
225x3

Decline dumbell bench:

60x8
65x8
75x8
80x6

Bent over rows

90x15
100x15
110x15
120x15

Rope pulls to neck:

Can’t quite recall, but I ended at 80x12

Lastly I did some ab work as prescribed.

I’m just making sure I’m doing things as they should be. Any advice/pointers would be great.

If you are working to a 3RM, then the sets leading up to it should be 3 reps, not 5. I would guess your 3RM is probably higher than what you hit, but you were fatigued a bit. Decrease your reps on bent-o ver rows to 8-10 max, closer to 6-8 on ME day. When you do your horizontal plane on DE Day, then use the 10-15 reps. This is all at first, once you get into things and understand your body, you can see how you react various things.

It appears you are following Defranco’s protocol as he gave it. Although, you can try and perform another set of bench press and try to get out 1-2 reps.

As for the Bent Over Rows, you may be able to start at a higher weight which would allow you to use more weight in the last couple of sets.

When performing a 3rm I like to reduce the reps to 1 for a few sets beforehand.

barx8
120x5
140x5
160x3
180x3
200x1
220x1
240x3-New PR.

Or is this not a good idea?

[quote]geoffsherman wrote:
If you are working to a 3RM, then the sets leading up to it should be 3 reps, not 5. I would guess your 3RM is probably higher than what you hit, but you were fatigued a bit. Decrease your reps on bent-o ver rows to 8-10 max, closer to 6-8 on ME day. When you do your horizontal plane on DE Day, then use the 10-15 reps. This is all at first, once you get into things and understand your body, you can see how you react various things. [/quote]

WS4SB does not have a DE day. As for the bent over rows, he is supposed to be getting 12-15 reps for 4 sets. Read the program.

Since this is designed for someone doing a sport, and I am not would it be feasible to add in some supplementary shoulder work or other exercises on days I’m not doing the WS stuff? My shoulders are lagging.

[quote]infin|ty wrote:
Since this is designed for someone doing a sport, and I am not would it be feasible to add in some supplementary shoulder work or other exercises on days I’m not doing the WS stuff? My shoulders are lagging.[/quote]

As long as it is supplementary work, it shouldn’t be a problem. Although, Defranco designed his program to cover all aspects. He needs to make sure his athletes are make the most out of the weight room which includes hitting all the muscles. Just watch yourself so that you don’t don’t affect your main lifts.

Connor, someone wrote an article several months back about doing what you do (dropping weight before a PR). However, that isn’t the idea behind Defranco’s program.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
geoffsherman wrote:
If you are working to a 3RM, then the sets leading up to it should be 3 reps, not 5. I would guess your 3RM is probably higher than what you hit, but you were fatigued a bit. Decrease your reps on bent-o ver rows to 8-10 max, closer to 6-8 on ME day. When you do your horizontal plane on DE Day, then use the 10-15 reps. This is all at first, once you get into things and understand your body, you can see how you react various things.

WS4SB does not have a DE day. As for the bent over rows, he is supposed to be getting 12-15 reps for 4 sets. Read the program.[/quote]

I have read the program many times, these are modifications to make it better. The “program” is only a template, you are not supposed to follow it mindlessly, but to adapt it to your personal needs.

[quote]geoffsherman wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
geoffsherman wrote:

WS4SB does not have a DE day. As for the bent over rows, he is supposed to be getting 12-15 reps for 4 sets. Read the program.

I have read the program many times, these are modifications to make it better. The “program” is only a template, you are not supposed to follow it mindlessly, but to adapt it to your personal needs.
[/quote]

well go read it again. the WS4SB program specifically does not have a DE day because “Joe” felt that those who were in need of the WS4SB program werent at a level that they would benefit by doing a DE day. perhaps your modifications work very well for you, no ones doubting that, but again, if someone is at the level that they are just starting WS4SB, i dont think its very wise to jump right into changing up the program.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
geoffsherman wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
geoffsherman wrote:

well go read it again. the WS4SB program specifically does not have a DE day because “Joe” felt that those who were in need of the WS4SB program werent at a level that they would benefit by doing a DE day. perhaps your modifications work very well for you, no ones doubting that, but again, if someone is at the level that they are just starting WS4SB, i dont think its very wise to jump right into changing up the program. [/quote]

Then change RE Day to DE Day, my feedback is still the same…

As far as reducing the reps to sets leading up to a PR attempt, I’ve found that it’s a useful strategy to give yourself a little more energy than normal.

One thing you could do with it would be to drop the reps and PR one week and then stick to that same max weight the next week and fill in the missing reps (IE go from one back to three on your pre-max sets).

UPDATE:

ME upper body day again thought I would share:

Bench press:

115x5
135x5
155x5
185x5
205x5
225x4 (barely)

Decline dumbell press:

65x8
70x8
80x8
90x5

Bent over rows:

80x15
90x15
110x15
135x14

Rope pulls to neck:

75x15
80x15
85x15
90x15

Then ab work.

I’m staring to go up a bit, but I think some of it was due to too low weights last week.

I’m doing ME lower body today and will post those when I get home.