T Nation

Another Workout Critique

Can you guys let me know if I am doing this right?

6 foot 3 - 215 pounds approx 17% BF
2500-2900 cals per day.
Goal is to get that BF % down to 10-12% then start to bulk.

A) Back and Biceps

• Wide grip pull ups (assisted at the moment, but steadily reducing the amount of assistance) - 5 sets of 6 reps
  • Close grip pull ups - 5 sets of 6.
  • Deadlift - 3 sets of 5
  • Bent over rows - 3 sets of 10
  • Lat cable pull down - 4 sets of 10
  • Cable rows - 4 sets of 10
  • Curlz - 3 sets of 10

B) Legs

• Squats - 5 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 10 (weight increases until the last set where I drop the weight right off and basically go to failure, which is usually around rep 10).
  • SLDL - 3 sets of 5
  • Leg press - 3 sets of 10
  • Leg curl - 3 sets of 10
  • Dumbbell lunges - 3 sets of 10.
  • Calf extensions - 2 sets of 20.

C) Chest, Shoulders and Triceps

• Bench - 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4,
  • Incline Bench - 3 sets of 10, 10, 8 (or to fail).
  • Seated Military Press (with dumbbells) - 3 sets of 8
  • Lateral arm raises - 3 sets of 8.
  • Overhead press on smith machine - 3 sets of 8.
  • Cable flys - 3 sets of 10
  • Triceps dips - 3 sets of 6
  • Close grip bench - 3 sets of 8
  • Shrugs - 2 sets of 10.

Each work-out is done in the evening before my main meal and includes a 10 min treadmill warm up and a 10 - 15 minute cross trainer cool down the lifting takes around 40-50 mins. I try not to rest for too long between sets or moves. I also mix Abs in every other work out.

A sample couple of weeks would be:
Mon - A
Tues -B
Wed - Swimming
Thurs - C
Fri - Rest
Sat - Rest
Sun - A + Swimming

Mon - B
Tues -C
Wed - Swimming
Thurs - A
Fri - Rest
Sat - B
Sun - Swimming

Then back to A on Mon…

Supps - Whey protein.

Any and all tips / criticism welcome.

Specific questions: Cardio - I know, I should be doing more. Any hints as to where it would best sit? A morning run every other day? Only on rest days?
What do you guys think of the excercises, I have a feeling I am doing too many.

Should I cut down on the number of moves and increase the sets on the bigger moves (such as Squat, Dead, bench etc)? Or am I wrong and not doing enough? Also, I worked out the cal count to lose weight (fat) but again, any tips appreciated.

The only thing I really don’t like about it is that deadlifts aren’t the first exercise on back day. Other than that it’s just the same as any other high-volume beginner workout. As soon as you start to get strong, this is going to be so much pressing volume it will kill you.

Do this for 6-10 weeks or whatever, until you stop being able to add weight and reps to all that stuff, then cut down the number of exercises, say by picking any four of those things on each day.

Train hard,

Conor

[quote]conorh wrote:
The only thing I really don’t like about it is that deadlifts aren’t the first exercise on back day. Other than that it’s just the same as any other high-volume beginner workout. As soon as you start to get strong, this is going to be so much pressing volume it will kill you.

Do this for 6-10 weeks or whatever, until you stop being able to add weight and reps to all that stuff, then cut down the number of exercises, say by picking any four of those things on each day.

Train hard,

Conor[/quote]

DLs first eh? Will give that a go.

Cheers

[quote]GimpFace wrote:
Goal is to get that BF % down to 10-12% then MAINTAIN FOR A FEW MONTHS then start to bulk.
[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
GimpFace wrote:
Goal is to get that BF % down to 10-12% then MAINTAIN FOR A FEW MONTHS then start to bulk.

Fixed.[/quote]

Does that help not becoming a fat bastard again once I start to eat more?

[quote]GimpFace wrote:
B rocK wrote:
GimpFace wrote:

Fixed.

Does that help not becoming a fat bastard again once I start to eat more?

[/quote]

Yup. The body likes to be in homeostasis, so if you’ve just lost a bunch of fat, and you suddenly increase your caloric intake, you’re much more likely to add that fat back on. If you give yourself a month or two to essentially “reset” your body, you’ll have an easier time gaining lean muscle.

Hmm I pretty much went straight from dieting and losing fat to bulking and eating a lot…I’ve stayed relatively lean though, staying pretty much precisely at 12% BF. MAybe i’m the exception though.

However, to me it also seems like instead of maintaining you’d be better off staying with cutting since the fat lost during that time period would outweight the fat you might gain by immediately going on bulk. It’s an annoyance for sure to see the fat lost come back so quickly. I’m not as experienced as a lot of these guys, but I just don’t see the point of maintaining…

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:

Yup. The body likes to be in homeostasis, so if you’ve just lost a bunch of fat, and you suddenly increase your caloric intake, you’re much more likely to add that fat back on. If you give yourself a month or two to essentially “reset” your body, you’ll have an easier time gaining lean muscle.[/quote]

Makes sense to me.

I figure in order to get to around 12% body fat, I will need to keep at it for another two - three months, so another couple of months after this is fine.

• SLDL - 3 sets of 5

Romanian Deadlift instead, safer.

Why curlz on back day?

If you are doing straight sets volume looks huggeeeee

Look at Destroying the Fat

a lot of the compound movements youre plannin on doing requires static hold for your lower back. deads, bent over rows, sldl, squat…

taxing your back like that would only keep you hurting… and probably keep you out of the weight room.

you should go big on deads on monday. (10 x 3, 5x5) take out the bent rows for now. in the following week, replace the deads with squats, then perhaps you can throw in the bent over rows a day or two after.

Pretty fucking hard looking workouts.

I don’t see the need for both wide grip and close grip pullups. Surely the difference would be pretty minor.

Since you can’t even do a bodyweight pullup, I’m assuming your fairly weak so I would cut down the workload a little and focus on getting the big lifts up.

Conor is right though, once your strength goes up enough, you probably won’t be able to complete a full workout.

Been away for a while, hence not thanking you guys (gals?) for your advice.

hardgnr, ZeusNathan, echelon101 - thanks for taking the time.

echelon101 - the reason for curls on back day is that I thought the pulling motions associated with the back meant that my biceps would get kicking anyway - the curls are a finishing move. Do you think I should skip direct arm work or do it on a different day?

I will have a go at the Romanian Deadlift as you suggest, to be honest I am finding the SLDLs a bit, ummm “strange” for want of a better word.

ZeusNathan - since I last posted I have dropped the bent over rows! The volume was too much for my (at the mo) puny back. I think I will alternate them weekly.

You have confused me with the swapping squats and deads though, Deads = back. Squats = legs. Am I misunderstanding?

hardgnr - I have been doing this 3 weeks now, and will be dropping the close grip pull ups (or maybe alternating them with the wide grips), I have found myself running out of time and intensity on more than one occasion so am looking to cut out redundant lifts.

And you are right, I am fairly weak, but god damn if I am not getting stronger every fucking week!!

Once again - thanks everyone for taking the time to help.