(Another) Tattoo Advice Thread

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about the mexican mafia getting at you for that tattoo if you’re clearly northern european.

My family crest is cool, but the motto is “Semper fidelis.” Needless to say I can’t get that tattooed on me as much as I’d like to because I don’t want every dick asking me if I was a marine.[/quote]

Same reason I didn’t get that Chesty Puller tattoo on my ass.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

LOL, totally. Obviously these are generic crests made from a website. I was hoping to take it to an artist who would do some embellishments and what not, and sketch it freehand to make it look better.[/quote]

So are you saying the only information you have about your family crest is the Latin quote, family name, and the hand? None of your elders have any record of what your “official” family crest looks like?

Sounds like you should do some more research.
[/quote]

A family member has something “official” that looks similar to the above Manley crests hung in their household.

My limited (mostly internet-based) research thus far has brought me that the hand is significant as the root of Manley is the Latin base for hand, also “main” in French which is where the name originated (Normandy).

I’d love to go to the UK to research the “official” crest further, but that probably isn’t happening soon. Also, I pretty much just want to get the ink done to bond with my little bro.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Unless you are Mexican or Latino of some sort, I highly doubt you’ll get fucked with due to your tattoo. Especially if you get it somewhere where you’ll have to have your shirt off for it to be seen. What are your chances of coming across a rival of the Mexican mafia, or something along those lines, who’s psycho/stupid enough to start something with you over it despite your obvious lack of Hispanic ancestry (and therefore an equally obvious lack of connection with anything Mexican mafia-related) while your shirt is off? Do you avoid wearing red or blue shirts as well?[/quote]

Point taken.

I was thinking of getting it on my ribs beneath the underarm. So the shirt would need to be off to see it.

Takehome: avoid prison and any crazy latino bangers who would confuse my lily white ass with someone in the MM

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

LOL, totally. Obviously these are generic crests made from a website. I was hoping to take it to an artist who would do some embellishments and what not, and sketch it freehand to make it look better.[/quote]

So are you saying the only information you have about your family crest is the Latin quote, family name, and the hand? None of your elders have any record of what your “official” family crest looks like?

[/quote]

A family member has something “official” that looks similar to the above Manley crests hung in their household.

My limited (mostly internet-based) research thus far has brought me that the hand is significant as the root of Manley is the Latin base for hand, also “main” in French which is where the name originated (Normandy).

I’d love to go to the UK to research the “official” crest further, but that probably isn’t happening soon. Also, I pretty much just want to get the ink done to bond with my little bro.

[/quote]

Just don’t get a tattoo based on what you see on the internet. I’d hate to get my family crest done only to find out I left some major or had the wrong colors. Those things can’t be fixed all the time.

You said you’re ok with getting something artistic, why not come up with something that you and your bro both like?

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just don’t get a tattoo based on what you see on the internet. I’d hate to get my family crest done only to find out I left some major or had the wrong colors. Those things can’t be fixed all the time.

You said you’re ok with getting something artistic, why not come up with something that you and your bro both like? [/quote]

I understand this concern. But as Vicomte said above, the minutae of heraldry is largely meaningless nowadays. I’m not a knight. If this design is close to my family’s crest and my little brother and I like it then I’m game to get it. I just want a good tattoo artist to make it look sweet, not just like a stencil of the generic one above. A family crest can be artistic, no?

Oh, and I also don’t want a Mexican gangbanger to kill me for having it.

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

You said you’re ok with getting something artistic, why not come up with something that you and your bro both like? [/quote]

I understand this concern. But as Vicomte said above, the minutae of heraldry is largely meaningless nowadays. I’m not a knight. If this design is close to my family’s crest and my little brother and I like it then I’m game to get it. I just want a good tattoo artist to make it look sweet, not just like a stencil of the generic one above. A family crest can be artistic, no?

Oh, and I also don’t want a Mexican gangbanger to kill me for having it.
[/quote]

Dude get what you want, if someone has a problem with it just kill them first.

i brought this to a tattoo shop and told an artist there to change it up a bit and give me a sketch.
i put down some money for it so i’m game to have him do it. how should i check to make sure that his work will be good?

this is what the artist came back with after i told him to change some stuff up. thoughts?

^^ do you have photos of his previous work? You should look online and offline at reviews by other people that have done work by the same artist. The good one’s always have a great reputation which is how they stay “good”.

this is what the artist came back with after i told him to change some stuff up. thoughts?

shit. double post.
Edit: the image is cut off on the left, the actual piece is complete. He sent me an email with the new sketch and I asked for some more changes. I told him to change the helmet and to redo the circle inside the star in the middle b/c it seems asymmetric. I’m going to go in a couple days from now and check out what he’s got for me.

[quote]Most Major wrote:
this is what the artist came back with after i told him to change some stuff up. thoughts?[/quote]

Black and grey? Where are you getting it?

If it’s black and grey and the shading is good I think it will look good.

It’s a coat of arms yeah? I wouldn’t get too creative with, just make it look “warrior/regal” like, know what I mean?

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
^^ do you have photos of his previous work? You should look online and offline at reviews by other people that have done work by the same artist. The good one’s always have a great reputation which is how they stay “good”.[/quote]

I’ve checked the shop on Yelp and their website, but I’m not sure which is his work, as there are a few artists at this shop. For what it’s worth, the shop has favorable reviews.

[quote]Most Major wrote:
this is what the artist came back with after i told him to change some stuff up. thoughts?[/quote]

It’s a coat of arms yeah? I wouldn’t get too creative with, just make it look “warrior/regal” like, know what I mean?[/quote]

I was thinking I would just do the lines first, and then decide on shading/coloring after that session is done. Also, this would help break the cost up. I’m going to do it big on my ribcage, so it will be pricey.

[quote]Most Major wrote:

^^ do you have photos of his previous work? You should look online and offline at reviews by other people that have done work by the same artist. The good one’s always have a great reputation which is how they stay “good”.[/quote]

I’ve checked the shop on Yelp and their website, but I’m not sure which is his work, as there are a few artists at this shop. For what it’s worth, the shop has favorable reviews.[/quote]

Ok that’s good, go with the artist you feel most comfortable with. Some are better in certain styles of tattoos than others. I know it’s hard to estimate that but there is a certain amount of risk involved in this endeavor. I did my first one in 2005 and got a guy that I didn’t know but was recommended by my friend and I trusted a back piece with him and it came out well.

[quote]Most Major wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

It’s a coat of arms yeah? I wouldn’t get too creative with, just make it look “warrior/regal” like, know what I mean?[/quote]

I was thinking I would just do the lines first, and then decide on shading/coloring after that session is done. Also, this would help break the cost up. I’m going to do it big on my ribcage, so it will be pricey.[/quote]

And painful :slight_smile: (being on the ribcage). You know where else stings? The spine and the hamstring. Haha.

Yes that’s cool, lot’s of people do outlines first. All depends how much your skin can take per sitting.

I don’t have any tattoos so take my opinion for what it’s worth… But I think what the guy came up with looks cool. Looks slightly more modern than the original but still looks old school.

The artists version looks good, and if he’s got skills (which I’m sure he does) it’ll come out bad ass.

The only thing I’d be curious/cautious of is the size of it, and for 1 reason: See the spot where the upper left hand’s fingers touch the bottom of the helmet thing? With small lines like that, they’ll likely thicken and blend together over time. Maybe either make the hand print bigger, or modify it so they’re not touching. The hands could even both be pointing outward. Or instead of the full finger outline, make the hand colored in, and the negative lines will outline the fingers.

Like this, bit with the colors reversed.

And painful :slight_smile: (being on the ribcage). You know where else stings? The spine and the hamstring. [/quote]

Sternum hurts like a bitch too. Anything that’s directly over bone, not covered by muscle, ouch

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

And painful :slight_smile: (being on the ribcage). You know where else stings? The spine and the hamstring. [/quote]

Sternum hurts like a bitch too. Anything that’s directly over bone, not covered by muscle, ouch[/quote]

x3

[quote]Most Major wrote:
Said I’d never get a tattoo, unless it is something meaningful and/or artistic. But now my little brother wants to get our family crest done. Which definitely has some meaning, in the act alone if not the art as well. I was almost ready to take the design to a tattoo artist when I showed an artist friend who informed me that the hand in my family’s crest isn’t something I’d want on my body, especially living in the southwest US, as it’s associated with the Mexican Mafia. Who would potentially murder me if they saw it, I guess?
For those who are inked, your thoughts on unintended symbolic meanings? What matters is what it means to me in the end, is my opinion. But, if it means something ELSE to some gangbangers, then the tattoo will be MY end, no?
[/quote]

Last time I checked the MM wasn’t murdering people who had hands on their bodies. They only murder people who give false flags (for good reason). Now, if you got EME all over your body then maybe, but MM usually don’t mark themselves unless they are the dumb ass street soldiers. The Tuscon MM guy is a clean shaven/no tats same with his son.