T Nation

(Another) Tattoo Advice Thread

Said I’d never get a tattoo, unless it is something meaningful and/or artistic. But now my little brother wants to get our family crest done. Which definitely has some meaning, in the act alone if not the art as well. I was almost ready to take the design to a tattoo artist when I showed an artist friend who informed me that the hand in my family’s crest isn’t something I’d want on my body, especially living in the southwest US, as it’s associated with the Mexican Mafia. Who would potentially murder me if they saw it, I guess?
For those who are inked, your thoughts on unintended symbolic meanings? What matters is what it means to me in the end, is my opinion. But, if it means something ELSE to some gangbangers, then the tattoo will be MY end, no?

Another crest design

Also, our family’s latin motto apparently is: “Manus haec inimica tyrannis.” I’d probably want to incorporate that in the design too.

Your name is Manley?

Bad. Ass.

Yeah… These days, you can get killed by just about anyone for any reason. I say get your crest. And that’s a helluva name. Care to translate your motto for those of us that don’t speak latin?

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
Yeah… These days, you can get killed by just about anyone for any reason. I say get your crest. And that’s a helluva name. Care to translate your motto for those of us that don’t speak latin?[/quote]

“This hand is hostile to tyrants”

[quote]Most Major wrote:
Said I’d never get a tattoo, unless it is something meaningful and/or artistic. But now my little brother wants to get our family crest done. Which definitely has some meaning, in the act alone if not the art as well. I was almost ready to take the design to a tattoo artist when I showed an artist friend who informed me that the hand in my family’s crest isn’t something I’d want on my body, especially living in the southwest US, as it’s associated with the Mexican Mafia. Who would potentially murder me if they saw it, I guess?
For those who are inked, your thoughts on unintended symbolic meanings? What matters is what it means to me in the end, is my opinion. But, if it means something ELSE to some gangbangers, then the tattoo will be MY end, no?
[/quote]

Wow…it looks an awful lot like mine. Almost as if these aren’t genuine and are made up by t-shirt and souvenir companies. Hmmm…

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:
[/quote]

Wow…it looks an awful lot like mine. Almost as if these aren’t genuine and are made up by t-shirt and souvenir companies. Hmmm…
[/quote]

If I ever have an extra 10K, I’m going to London and seeing if I can get the College of Arms to hook me up.

Apparently you have to do something badass before they’ll even consider it. Snobby cunts.

Here’s the Mexican Mafia one

Get the tattoo. The fact that you have a hand in the middle of it is not going to bring about retaliation. There is plenty of significant difference in the design of your family crest to make it clear that you are not with the mexican mafia.

Unless you are Mexican or Latino of some sort, I highly doubt you’ll get fucked with due to your tattoo. Especially if you get it somewhere where you’ll have to have your shirt off for it to be seen. What are your chances of coming across a rival of the Mexican mafia, or something along those lines, who’s psycho/stupid enough to start something with you over it despite your obvious lack of Hispanic ancestry (and therefore an equally obvious lack of connection with anything Mexican mafia-related) while your shirt is off? Do you avoid wearing red or blue shirts as well?

LOL, totally. Obviously these are generic crests made from a website. I was hoping to take it to an artist who would do some embellishments and what not, and sketch it freehand to make it look better.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
Yeah… These days, you can get killed by just about anyone for any reason. I say get your crest. And that’s a helluva name. Care to translate your motto for those of us that don’t speak latin?[/quote]

And supposedly the MM gangbangers are just the type to kill anyone for any reason.

At this point, I’m convinced to get the crest done. But I’d want to try to design it in such a way that the hand isn’t so prominent and obvious. Like the second crest where it’s smaller.

Any advice for me to take to a tattoo artist for design help?

Beast is right, you can pretty much get shot for anything anyway.
In NY my mom wore a blue shirt (against my father’s advice) and luckily it was only a new, wanna-be Crip that tried to stab them.
See, even shirts set people off :slight_smile:

So I say just stay away from Mexicans, particularly those that read Latin.

I went to London and bought this with my coat of arms on it. I tried Google and came up with versions similar to what you have posted.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Beast is right, you can pretty much get shot for anything anyway.
In NY my mom wore a blue shirt (against my father’s advice) and luckily it was only a new, wanna-be Crip that tried to stab them.
See, even shirts set people off :slight_smile:

So I say just stay away from Mexicans, particularly those that read Latin.
[/quote]

Latinos.

O:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

LOL, totally. Obviously these are generic crests made from a website. I was hoping to take it to an artist who would do some embellishments and what not, and sketch it freehand to make it look better.[/quote]

So are you saying the only information you have about your family crest is the Latin quote, family name, and the hand? None of your elders have any record of what your “official” family crest looks like?

Sounds like you should do some more research.

just get a dick fountain tattoo.

I wouldn’t worry about the mexican mafia getting at you for that tattoo if you’re clearly northern european.

My family crest is cool, but the motto is “Semper fidelis.” Needless to say I can’t get that tattooed on me as much as I’d like to because I don’t want every dick asking me if I was a marine.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Most Major wrote:

LOL, totally. Obviously these are generic crests made from a website. I was hoping to take it to an artist who would do some embellishments and what not, and sketch it freehand to make it look better.[/quote]

So are you saying the only information you have about your family crest is the Latin quote, family name, and the hand? None of your elders have any record of what your “official” family crest looks like?

Sounds like you should do some more research.
[/quote]

Heraldry is meaningless, anyway. When you get into the finer points, especially with coats of arms and which/how descendants can use them, and by the time you figure out who you’re actually related to, it’s a crapshoot, really.

Personally, I’d just use my name and something that is meaningful to me. You gonna let some dead people you never met tell you who you are? You’re not a fucking knight, brother.

I’d be more wary of the Irish. To me, it looks more like this, the Red Hand of Ulster.