T Nation

Another Sh**ty Deadlift Form Vid

Okay so my form has sucked for my entire deadlifting life. A lot of people on this site have helped me out a lot with this. However, for some reason my brain THINKS it's using the cues they give me properly, but then I see myself on film and realize my form is still WAY off.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

220 x 3

I can't tell if I did this properly.

Hello, video, are you there? Did you post?

Couple of things I see:

-You are screwing around in the bottom too much. Reset from the top everytime if you have too but, the amount of time you are taking between reps, in your starting position is wasting a ton of energy. Also, you can't get your abs tight when you stay down for too long. Focus on taking a HUGE breath while you are still standing up, hold all of the air in your stomach (i.e. push out on your belt as hard as you can), then drop down faster.

-You are allowing the weight to dictate your bar path. It looks like you are pulling with too much of your weight over your mid-foot/ball of your foot because the bar is pulling you forward. Once you get down to the bar, try to pull a little bit of the salck out to develop some tension in yout hamstrings. This will force you back on your heel/mid-foot and turn the lift into more of a global hip extension than a back extension.

-SPEED!!! Definitely start adding in some more speed pulls, jumps, and sprints if you can. This will help you tremendously.

Other than that, 225 for three is no joke. Awesome pulling.

Did all of that make sense?

something simple: face the other way? pulling in front of a mirror makes most people get out of form. you get more focused on the blood rushing to your face, or for me, counting my nose hairs, than actually lifting.

I am terrible conventional deadlifter myself but.... I might suggest some rear chain stretching and hip mobility so you can set your hips lower. I think they are set wayyy too high and this may be partially responsible for you being unable to keep the back tight.

To repeat what was said before... 220x3 is qutie impressive for someone your size!

you know to face away from the mirror, what happened?

Also little tip I got, lift the big toe, activates the hamstrings.

Really wasn't that bad though.

Thank you for the feedback, my cyber friends.

STB: You know, it's funny, I am pretty sure I used to pull a lot faster before I started getting obsessed with my crappy form. Now I think WAYY to much before each pull. I keep trying to do this pull the slack out of the bar thingie, but I don't think I get it, ha-ha.

Lil Power: I KNOW THE MIRROR! I keep thinking I can still face that way and just not look at the mirror. I try to just gaze my eyes and stare at nothing. I never even thought about just turning around, LOL! I am such a goober. But I heart you so much for the reassurance.

THANKS AGAIN YA'LL.

Ima work in progress, yep I am.

Pulling the slack:

The plates have holes slightly larger than the part of the bar you put the weights on. Therefore, when the bar is resting on the ground, or wherever really, there is a little bit of space above the bar inbetween the bar and plates. What you want to do is pull that out with straight arms before you initiate the pull with your hips and legs. Now there is a little space below the bar inbetween the bar and plates and will remain that way through the lift. Unless of course you pull very fast and there will be a split second when you come to a stop where the plates bounce up. I used to shoot my hips way up before I figured this one out.

Really try to push your belly out hard against your belt to lock your core/low back into place. Your first move is to round your low back. More abs, rdl's, and good mornings.

Only thing that has not really been covered, get violent with the bar.

Instead of looking up, try looking at a spot on the ground about 15' in front of you, and try to unlock your shoulders while keeping your lower back tight. It'll get your arms to hang a little lower taking some distance off your pull. I can't see where your arms are but if they're not riding up your legs then move your hands a little bit closer. You can also play around with turning your toes out a bit, it'll open up your hips let you get more glute involvement.

Where do you live in Alberta? There's a handful of PL clubs in the province you should think about joining one or finding some people to train with!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Also, please inform the man in the background that he has impeccable calf-raise form. I was really surprised he handled that weight like he did!

I like this concept of getting violent with the bar. I am letting all this form mish mash make me anxious when I used to just pull the crap out of it and felt strong to boot!

Think less
Pull fast
Harness the spirit of Andy Bolton

Got it.

Yok3d: I live in Edmonton. I thought the only club we had was the U of A powerlifting club, no? I have met like two powerlifters in my lifetime from here. WHERE ARE THEY ALL HIDING?????

frank: OMG HAHA!! It's funny cause every time I take a video of myself lifting there is someone doing something totally useless in the background. That's my gym, man! Nobody ever does anything for any real reason..

Think about pushing away the earth, and then thrusting your hips. Works for me!

Nobody does anything because you have completely demoralized them with your deadlifting awesomeness.

THAT IS the SINGLE NICEST GREATEST THING I'VE EVER READ !!!!!!!

Extreme cyber smile

<<<<<<< >>>>>>>

Hey Spock,

Something that worked for me to really get tension in my glutes and hamstrings was when standing at the top of the lift, stick your bum back as hard as you can and develop an arch in your lower back. Then sit back as far as you can before bending down at the knees. This will develop a massive amount of tension. Then grab the bar, drop your bum and lever yourself like your falling backwards. Watch videos of Mike Turscherer dead-lifting. That is very similar to my style of lifting. Good luck have fun.

Search for "Training Journals" on Facebook and join it. It's mostly PLers from Alberta, you could ask in there. I'm in Calgary I don't know where all the Edmonton guys hide haha

There are some very good IPF powerlifters in Edmonton I believe. I'll ask the Calgary IPF guys where they are.

Regarding your deadlift, while I think it is likely that it will improve with practice just by your nervous system improving I don't like the position your lower back defaults to when you start the pull. IMO you are borderline danger zone. Watch yourself at the instant that you begin to pull. You can see the glutes activating while the lower back is still relaxed. You want these to activate at the same time.

If you are concentrating a lot on pushing out your abs into your belt, that could cause reciprocal inhibition in the back. I.E. while your abs/ta/pelvic floor should be tight for the lift make sure to remember your lower back has to be very tight as well at the instant you begin the lift.

Simple muscle activation and better body awareness might help this situation. The key is a lot of repetition to make sure the nervous system is efficient at recruiting these muscles when needed.
1.Practice pelvic floor contractions. To do this imagine you are stopping yourself from urinating. Most people have very poor pelvic floor contractions.
2.Practice transverse abdominus activation. It's tricky, but laying on your back try to contract the very lower part of your abs while keeping the upper abs relaxed. Contract the pelvic floor while you are doing this. Ideally the TA should contract with PF, but it takes work.
3.Practice erector spinae activation by laying on your stomach with a pillow under your pelvis. Try to contract the different muscles of the erector spinae group without moving. When you do this contract the pelvic floor as well.

You can practice these for a few minutes while you are falling asleep. It can give you a big advantage both in nervous system efficiency and being more aware of when things are contracting correctly. Also sometimes it is good to watch yourself in a mirror during a light set to really learn how to contract all of these muscle groups individually. For instance, with light weight while near the bottom portion of the lift let your back round a bit while you are hanging there, then correct it.

Some physiotherapists have ultrasound screens to help you learn how to activate everything correctly by having a visual reference to what is actually going on (it is really hard to do it on your own). However, once you have this awareness it is much easier to know what to do when people say "stop rounding your lower back".

Good luck!