Another Scam: Area Code 809

We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The woman said ‘Hey, this is Karen . Sorry I missed you–get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you.’ Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809 We didn’t respond.
Then this week, we received the following e-mail:
Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON’T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

Be sure you read this s and pass it on.

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away… Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the U.S. , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.

Or, you’ll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you’ll of ten be charged more than $24,100.00.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code I s located in the British Virgin Islands (The Bahamas).

The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That’s because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You’ll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.

AT&T ALSO SAYS TRUE
AT&T | 809 Area Code and Other Long Distance Phone Scams http://console.mxlogic.com/redir/?m6m7PhOepsdIIFLT7e9CM0mPDO-4vxyQvFgL6JliiQA3DbIfCXZuX1EVs7fc3xNKVK5oGWjAuxFekaydglJj-ndELnvjdEFFKnd7byrz9J5USbC44zh0ZsQsCy0gz-Cy0iGxVKvxYYmfSk3q9JYSOOC_ssyyrDiapVzc8FHtt

SNOPES SAYS ALSO IT’S TRUE:

http://www.snopescom/fraud/telephone/809.asp http://console.mxlogic.com/redir/?5xBxYQszCn3rbarZNPypI05i5lLFO-eNRJ39-vWNeIfNWVEVU7CXZuX1EVs7fc3xNKVK5oGWjAuxFekaydglJj-ndELnvjdEFFKnd7byrz9J5USbC44zh0ZsQsCy0gz-Cy0iGxVKvxYYmfSk3qpJYSOOC_ssyyrDiapVzc8FHtt

Why are you passing on spam emails?

You dialed, didn’t you.

I can’t wait for one of the trolls in SAMA to put up ‘her’ phone number with an 809 area code in ‘her’ profile.

Priceless.

i fail to see how its a spam email but it really doesnt affect me cause im in the uk so =)

not a spam e-mail we actually got a call from them at my work, a State Corrections Facility our Security supervisor did some looking due to the weird message (for a person not a facility) and found this so she passed it to us.

lets nuke the bahamas.

[quote]Otep wrote:
You dialed, didn’t you.

I can’t wait for one of the trolls in SAMA to put up ‘her’ phone number with an 809 area code in ‘her’ profile.

Priceless.[/quote]

Dammit that was what I was thinking …create a profile of a good looking “figure girl” flirt with all the guys and get them to call me at 1 809 - 555 - 5555 …get rich!!! …Ahh shit back to my regular job …heheh

Ryan, this is a better source and explanation

I never rely on snopes.com any more.

I can’t believe people fall for this shit.

809 it’s not the Bahamas, 809 it’s the area for my country the Dominican republic and yes they do those kind of things , sorry people just don’t want to work like the rest of us do.

I wonder what happens if you call collect…

Give the 809 number to a creditor or bill collector