Another Salt Thread

OK, so…Salt is one of those things that has been ping-ponged from bad, to good, to ok, to ‘maybe’ a whole bunch of times in the past 30 years or more – kind of like eggs. I have little doubt that the ‘official’ line on salt will keep changing a few more times in the next decade or two.

As it stands now, the majority opinion is that salt isn’t as universally bad for blood pressure as claimed 15 years ago, and that the majority of people won’t experience major blood pressure spikes with a moderate or even somewhat high salt diet. Among existing populations, some South American tribes consume incredibly little salt but can do strenuous work just fine – and similarly, Japanese tend to have a moderately high salt intake (from miso, soy sauce, and some sea vegetables), yet don’t suffer from a high degree of the cardiovascular issues once considered part of a high-salt diet.

So there is a lot more to be learned.

A lot of people have taken the above information to indicate that they can and should eat as much salt as they want, even go back to the mid-20th century ‘take a salt pill’ philosophy. But even if many people are fine with moderately high salt intake, some people are not, and exhibit immediate blood pressure spikes when taking sodium.

My question…how many people here have actually tested their own sodium response? What were the results?

I ask this because I see a lot of nutritional speculation, and assumption based on recent research, but only a handful of folks have reported testing their own responses to specific foods, or for that matter I’ve only seen a few people test their blood or hair vitamin and mineral levels. I would be really curious to know even if folks have gone to the local Wal-Mart with a few packets of salt to test their blood pressure response over time during exposure to sodium.

No, I don’t plan on judging or criticizing anyone, and I hope I didn’t come across like that – I’m just curious about how many people engage in practical testing of nutritional matters like this, things that the individual can potentially influence which can have an effect on their short and long-term health.

Needless to say I do apologize if this thread is a complete duplicate…I poked through the salt/sodium threads but sort of gave up after the first few pages.

Yes, salt is given a bad rap.

No, it does not cause high blood pressure.

Yes, studies show that a restricted salt diet can decrease BP by 2-6 pts, which ain’t all that much for all the stressing some do over it. Granted, 6 pts can be of benefit for some people.

A low-carb diet can be just as if not more effective.

Most Americans get their salt intake from restaurant foods and frozen dinners. Limiting these would e a good idea all-around.

The CDC just reported that America’s #1 salt culprit is bread, imagine that.

No, I have not experimented around with salt intake. I don’t worry about it. I lightly salt some but not that many foods, and I rarely eat processed foods.

I maintain a healthy weight, exercise, drink fluids and don’t live off carb rich foods.

My BP is usually 118-124/68-76 unless I read some dumb shit abuot red meat being bad for us then it really does skyrocket. I’ve tested it and will shoot up to 150/90, so, yes in a sense I guess red meat is bad for you :wink: or at least in my case reading about dumb nutritional shit.

Im no expert, but if you are eating clean htne I dont think salt should be a major concern for you.
Saying that if you are doing heaps of cardio you would probably need more salt than normal.

tweet

Anyone know how much salt is needed on a very low carb diet? I’m pissing a LOT more now that my carbs are under 60 per day. But I notice dizziness after squats and deadlifts, no matter how much water I force in all day. I’m thinking extra salt is the solution to retaining more water.

Two meta-analyses of salt consumption. Both conclude that there is minimal effect in reduction in normal populations.

http://www.nature.com/ajh/journal/v24/n8/abs/ajh2011115a.html

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Anyone know how much salt is needed on a very low carb diet? I’m pissing a LOT more now that my carbs are under 60 per day. But I notice dizziness after squats and deadlifts, no matter how much water I force in all day. I’m thinking extra salt is the solution to retaining more water. [/quote]

I understand that higher carbs cause salt retention in the kidneys. Adaptation to low carbs causes salt and water to be excreted more efficiently, hence consumption of both needs to be increased. Not sure on amounts but maybe try increasing until you’re pissing at ‘normal’ levels.

[quote]roon12 wrote:
Two meta-analyses of salt consumption. Both conclude that there is minimal effect in reduction in normal populations.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Anyone know how much salt is needed on a very low carb diet? I’m pissing a LOT more now that my carbs are under 60 per day. But I notice dizziness after squats and deadlifts, no matter how much water I force in all day. I’m thinking extra salt is the solution to retaining more water. [/quote]

I understand that higher carbs cause salt retention in the kidneys. Adaptation to low carbs causes salt and water to be excreted more efficiently, hence consumption of both needs to be increased. Not sure on amounts but maybe try increasing until you’re pissing at ‘normal’ levels.[/quote]

Ah. The common sense approach.
Thanks Roon!

Buy a quality sea salt product like Real Salt. A salt with colour containing trace minerals.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]roon12 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I understand that higher carbs cause salt retention in the kidneys. Adaptation to low carbs causes salt and water to be excreted more efficiently, hence consumption of both needs to be increased. Not sure on amounts but maybe try increasing until you’re pissing at ‘normal’ levels.[/quote]

Ah. The common sense approach.
Thanks Roon![/quote]

I have the same issue that you do with with constant urination when doing low carb diets which I’m actually on right now. I’ve never figured out how to curb it. I tried several approaches in the past, more salt, more magnesium, sometimes potassium and nothing worked. Plus I drink a lot of water when on low carb diets because I feel dehydrated.
If you figure anything our let me know because getting up 3-4 times a night to piss volumes can be really annoying and sleep disturbing.

And to the OP I never restrict my salt intake and eat lots of salty foods and even salt my foods at times. I have taken my blood pressure during these times because I had the same question as you with the conflicting info on salt being bad or not being bad. My blood pressure is always around 120/70.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I eat low carb as well and have read that you should make sure you’re getting 5 grams of salt a day. I drink a cup of chicken broth every day and liberally salt my foods.

Note: 5 grams of salt is not the same thing as 5 grams of sodium (for some reason, this was news to me…). Table salt is approximately %40 sodium, so if you’re monitoring your intake by reading nutritional information, you’re shooting for approximately 2 grams of sodium a day. This is done because there are other sources of sodium in the diet besides sodium chloride.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Yes, salt is given a bad rap.

No, it does not cause high blood pressure.

Yes, studies show that a restricted salt diet can decrease BP by 2-6 pts, which ain’t all that much for all the stressing some do over it. Granted, 6 pts can be of benefit for some people.

A low-carb diet can be just as if not more effective.

Most Americans get their salt intake from restaurant foods and frozen dinners. Limiting these would e a good idea all-around.

The CDC just reported that America’s #1 salt culprit is bread, imagine that.

No, I have not experimented around with salt intake. I don’t worry about it. I lightly salt some but not that many foods, and I rarely eat processed foods.

I maintain a healthy weight, exercise, drink fluids and don’t live off carb rich foods.

My BP is usually 118-124/68-76 unless I read some dumb shit abuot red meat being bad for us then it really does skyrocket. I’ve tested it and will shoot up to 150/90, so, yes in a sense I guess red meat is bad for you :wink: or at least in my case reading about dumb nutritional shit.[/quote]

As I do not eat fast food or frozen dinners, I suffered low BP for years before I realized I need to get salt, not avoid it.

What most Americans are deficient in is potassium and magnesium; I suspect this is the true culprit in “high BP.”

I notice I crave salt after my workotus. Even my bulks aren’t very high carb, maybe 300g at most. When I’m on a maintenance/cut I have a couple days per week where I’m around 50g net. In both situations I absolutely crave salt after workouts, and potassium.

I devour a banana in less than 10 seconds (no homo) usually when I get home, then take some sea salt, cook some chicken, and put more salt on that too. If I don’t do the banana (no homo) or the salt after working out I feel sluggish the rest of the day.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I devour a banana in less than 10 seconds (no homo)…[/quote]

post a video and we’ll be the judge!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I notice I crave salt after my workotus. Even my bulks aren’t very high carb, maybe 300g at most. When I’m on a maintenance/cut I have a couple days per week where I’m around 50g net. In both situations I absolutely crave salt after workouts, and potassium.

I devour a banana in less than 10 seconds (no homo) usually when I get home, then take some sea salt, cook some chicken, and put more salt on that too. If I don’t do the banana (no homo) or the salt after working out I feel sluggish the rest of the day. [/quote]

a) Carbs make you hold water, so VLC releases it; many people find a need to get salt to maintain hydration on VLC.

b) I don’t think 10 secs would make you homo; if you spent a lot of time licking and sucking the banana, and maybe some light bondage, then… I would really have to wonder.