Another Run at Smolov

Been back at the weights for the last ~4-5 weeks with the first couple weeks pretty light to test the shoulder.

Thinking of doing smolov for front squats again.

This will be the third time i’ve done it ( just the base cycle ). Last time my front squat went from 225 to 265.

Stuff I will be doing differently:

Surge Workout Fuel instead of double dosing regular Surge.

Other exercises. The past two times I didn’t really do anything else besides squat.

I’ll use this as a log I guess and a comparison between regular Surge and Workout Fuel.

Oh, I did 245 last night. Wasn’t too bad chest came forward a little. Might use 255 or 265 in the calculator for this. Suggestions or comments welcome.

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Oh, I did 245 last night. Wasn’t too bad chest came forward a little. Might use 255 or 265 in the calculator for this. Suggestions or comments welcome.[/quote]

Get an actual 1rm before you rush in.

Good to see you making another Smolov run, Tstud. Are you playing seven’s, or are you still sidelined? Also, I know you were trying to put on a little mass. How has that been going?

First game since surgery will be a sevens tournament July 25th. Still working on putting on more mass.

Decided to jump in today as Surge Workout Fuel and Spike arrived.

Got all the sets for Day 1: 4x9 @ 182lbs (calc said 182, i have two 11lb plates)

Too early to tell about workout fuel but:

I hit all sets/reps with a higher max in the calc (260) / I haven’t exactly been prepping for smolov.

4x9 is my least favorite day, and usually leaves me in shambles afterwords. Legs are sore, but I still have plenty of energy, no weak/pre vomit feeling.

I have enough time at home, so I think i’m going to try the intense phase this time if everything goes well during the base.

Soreness is not as bad as I was expecting.

Day 2 5x7 195 Done! Spent the day recovering from yesterday, still pretty sore before the workout as well. Few tough sets, exactly as I remember from last cycle. Will have videos for 7x5 210 and 10x3 225.

Weighed 200.6 just now. most i’ve weighed in several years, close to the most ever.

A little bored tonight so I decided to get another workout in. Workout fuel was great, felt like I couldve been in there another hr. Worked up to a single of 185 on bench and +90 on weighted chin-ups.

Bench
95 x 4
115 x 4
135 x 3
160 x 3
170 x 3
175 x 1
185 x 1

Chin up
Bw (201) x 3
211 x 3
226 x 2
246 x 2
276 x 1 x 1
296 x 1
256 x 2

Had intended just doing 3x3 @ 160 on bench but I had tons of energy after each set. In perspective last week I hit 150 5x3 and 165x1 the week before that. Shoulder feels fine.

Had to push day 3 back a day after a rough day of work. 7x5 210 Went well tonight, last few sets were kind of tough. Workout fuel is working well.

Set 1: 210 x 5

Set 7