Another Question on Squat Stance

Despite reading many posts, I’m still unsure of how far my feet should be apart for squatting. I’ve got narrow hips (31 inch waist), but my clavicle width is probably of an average 5’9" male. Should my squatting be based more on hip width or shoulder width?

My goal is to build huge thighs. Also as far as feet pointing out, that’s just a matter of what feels most comfortable right? I want to build huge thighs. I’ve been doing 20 rep sets with just the bar, trying to perfect my form.

Honestly I’d just pick a stance that you feel comfortable with. You will likely get many different responses in this thread, which to me indicates that it really doesn’t matter.

I would not advise you squat with a very wide stance as that can be hard on the hips and you probably don’t want to squat with a real close stance as that can be hard on the knees.

I’d say just start with your feet just outside your shoulders and go from there.

[quote]bench300 wrote:
Despite reading many posts, I’m still unsure of how far my feet should be apart for squatting. I’ve got narrow hips (31 inch waist), but my clavicle width is probably of an average 5’9" male. Should my squatting be based more on hip width or shoulder width?

My goal is to build huge thighs. Also as far as feet pointing out, that’s just a matter of what feels most comfortable right? I want to build huge thighs. I’ve been doing 20 rep sets with just the bar, trying to perfect my form.[/quote]

Check out Boris B’s Squat RX videos. They are incredibly informative to a squatting newb. I have gotten a lot of help from watching the series so far. Here is the link to the first video.

What does the rest of your training routine look like?

I can’t do much right now, all I have is a barbell set with no bench or rack. I will model my routines after those in the book Brawn by Stuart McRobert. That book is like my bible, I just trust what he says.

I’m thinking about a twice a week workout, alternating between squats and stiff legged deadlifts. Ill add in bench presses, overhead presses, and dumbell rows as I feel.

I meant to say, I’m going to squat twice a week, and one of those days I’ll also do my deadlifts.