Another Please Critique My Diet!

Ok, I’ll try to make this as simple as possible while still being informative.

Breakfast:
1 Orange
3-4 whole eggs, scrambled with cheese

Mid-Morning:
1 Banana or Orange
handful of almonds
30 g whey protein

Lunch
Sweet Potato
Veggies (broccoli usually -and usually from a bag)
grilled chicken or steak

Pre-Workout
1 scoop Surge

Post-Workout
2 Scoops Surge

Dinner
Sweet Potato or rice (on workout days)
Mixed Veggies (with olive oil on non-workout days)
Grilled Chicken or steak or fish

Before Bed:
Shake (2 tsp natural peanut butter, almonds, 30g whey protein

I am 5’11" and 189 lbs. Some muscle and just a little fat - not exactly “ripped.” My goal is to add more muscle in order to change my body composition, while keeping fat in check. Oh, and I’ve just started lifting again - you could say I am a beginner.

I also sip green tea throughout the day, take plenty of fish oil, and take BCAAs around workouts, and on non-workout days take BCAAs in the morning and evening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Keep this up for a month and report back. Looks good for now, even a bit much for someone who is a “beginner”.

Breakfast might be a little fat heavy, try taking out an egg and adding like 2oz of ham.

Metabolic Drive instead of whey. You will notice the difference. Fat intake looks ok, more veggies perhaps and try for another solid meal if possible. Some fruit or veggies with last meal.

As for the meals themselves, don’t be afraid to switch up the protein sources or veggies and fruits that are part of the meal. Your basic template is good so if you stick to it and work on the recommendations, you will have an excellent base to tweak from.

bullocks! you’re fine with amount of eggs in your breakfast. No more than 4 though. Or you can do 2 whole/4 whites with a couple slices of Turkey bacon. Just as good IMO. The cheese makes me wonder. I hope low fat. also what are the weights of your protein sources ie how many ounces of critter are you eating? Other than that it looks good bro! You’re getting in what you need to grow.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Breakfast might be a little fat heavy, try taking out an egg and adding like 2oz of ham.[/quote]

Not in the context of the rest of his intake. He is looking at 20-30g (most likely toward the low side). Hardly a cause for concern. Though your ham recommendation is a good one nonetheless. this would be a great way to add protein to the meal.

I agree with Peter Orban on switching out the whey with Metabolic Drive or another type of protein one that is not just purely whey. I also agree with Growing_Boy on the eggs you should be fine. As for the rest I like it. you can switch out the peanut butter and almonds before bed with cottage cheese and a protein shake. The cottage cheese is loaded with casein to feed those growing muscles all night.

Other than that I like it and everybody elses response is right on the money too. I like any form of exercise so If you feel the diet is putting on a little too much chub just add a little more cardio or something, but thats if you love any form of exercise and want to do it 24/7. lol If not then control it with your diet. lol I’d like to see you report back in a month and tell us what your progress is. It should work well.

Gerdy

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Zagman wrote:
Breakfast might be a little fat heavy, try taking out an egg and adding like 2oz of ham.

Not in the context of the rest of his intake. He is looking at 20-30g (most likely toward the low side). Hardly a cause for concern. Though your ham recommendation is a good one nonetheless. this would be a great way to add protein to the meal.[/quote]

Sorry, what I meant to say was caloric dense, by recommending taking out an egg he drops the fat from the egg and the fat from the extra cheese that would have gone on the egg and replaces it with some more protein. I usually do 3 eggs with 3oz ham when cutting.

Have you been doing this (if so, how long) or is this what you will be doing?

If you are a beginner and your goal is to gain muscle, then this is likely a good start. After about 3-4 weeks on it you should increase the calories, either through a little bit each meal or an additional meal. Repeat.

Also don’t fret about any minimal fat gain, focus on the muscle gain at this point. So if you want a snack or dessert go ahead, just don’t miss out on what you outlined.

As you said, you’re a relative beginner so don’t micro-manage your diet, it will be counterproductive.

Keep us updated.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I’ve been following it for about 3 weeks now. I train 4 days a week using high volume. In between training days, I do light cardio - just a walk around my hilly block.

So far, my scale weight has stayed the exact same. However, I do feel -almost certainly- I have gotten slightly leaner. I guess the old controversy of beginners gaining muscle while losing fat is appearing, at least to me, to be possible.

If you guys are interested, I will indeed update in about a month. I do have some experience of how my body reacts to diets, so I think I may have some insight into how my current one is working.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys.

I’ve been following it for about 3 weeks now. I train 4 days a week using high volume. In between training days, I do light cardio - just a walk around my hilly block.

So far, my scale weight has stayed the exact same. However, I do feel -almost certainly- I have gotten slightly leaner. I guess the old controversy of beginners gaining muscle while losing fat is appearing, at least to me, to be possible. [/quote]

That’s great! If your weight is stable and you’re getting leaner then you can likely hold off on adjustments, but once this slows/stops you’ll need to bump up the calories some.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
If you guys are interested, I will indeed update in about a month. I do have some experience of how my body reacts to diets, so I think I may have some insight into how my current one is working. [/quote]

Looking forward to it.