Another Nutrition Help Thread

Sex: Male
Weight: ~180-185 lbs
Height: ~5’11"
BF%: unknown (when I stand in front of a mirror and look at myself, I’m figuring 11%-13%)

Relaxed/Loose measurements
Leg: 22.5"
Arms: 13.5"
Waist: 34"
Waist at navel: 32"
Chest: 40"
Neck: 16.5"

Good day … I had been “working out” on and off for about 2 years. I was given this site about 5 months back, and now I have started “training”. I’ve soaked up copious amounts of information and now I want to apply it (correctly).

I love this site, and I’m addicted to it. It is all thanks to folks like you and of course the T-Nation staff. I’ll save where this paragraph is going for another post.

So to get right down to it:
I would like a critique concerning my current diet. Suggestions/Opinions of what to fix, how to fix, and why are greatly appreciated.

Attached is a sample image of a typical day of my current nutrition. Currently, I am figuring I am a few hundred calories low of where I should be, and probably too low on carbs as well. Am I correct? Thoughts on what food(s) I should add or subtract to which meals?

My goals are currently those of aesthetics (starting the 5th week of the notorious superhero program). I would like to increase muscle mass and size while maintaining my current BF (whatever it may be). I realize I will need to gain some fat to gain muscle, but essentially I want to gain as much lean mass as possible.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
sorry, I didn’t realize the image would be so small … please try here instead:

looks fine, one thing i’d change is the eggs - just eat the whole egg. See http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1711855

as an example of a recent thread on this.

Now you need to know if roughly 3000 kcals a day is a little more than you need - because thats how you’ll know you’ll grow.

It’s worth adding that your daily requirement for protein and kcals varies anyway and partly it’ll vary based on your eating too, so it’s not easy to track and you shouldn’t get hung up on it, you’ll see after a few weeks what it’s doing for you.

Also, do you really eat this each day? I think you must vary it and please do so for your own sake and enjoyment of your meals!

Anyway, it looked protein rich and well structured, just let it vary and let yourself have some fruit and other things now and then too.

Your training plan is important too of course!

[quote]gswork wrote:
looks fine, one thing i’d change is the eggs - just eat the whole egg. See http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1711855

as an example of a recent thread on this.
[/quote]

Thanks for the thread. I had actually already been following it and I just bought 4 dozen whole eggs since my egg whites cartons ran out.

I am going by http://www.johnberardi.com/calc.htm recomendations for calories. After 4 weeks I really am unsure of any difference. However, if I can realistically only gain 1/2 to 1 pound of muscle per month, how would I really notice? I’ve noticed my body weight fluctuates between 180 and 187 depending on the time of day, visits to the bathroom, etc. I guess when it starts going from 181 to 188 I’ll know I’ve made progress?

I don’t eat like this EVERY day :slight_smile: … this was just a sample day … I’ve been cooking for 14 years and love experimenting, trying new things … breakfast and shakes pretty much stay the same though … other meals vary by what is on sale, the season, etc.

[quote]Anyway, it looked protein rich and well structured, just let it vary and let yourself have some fruit and other things now and then too.

Your training plan is important too of course![/quote]

Thanks for the tips and info gswork.