Another Idiot Newbie Thread, First Cycle Plan

Whereas powerlifting is measurable. If you can lift more weight in the gym that difference is measurable (obviously). Whether those increases translate to the meet is another story, but that too is measurable. I could deadlift in a meet what I could not crack off the ground in the gym.

I loved bodybuilding, but hated the actual contest. The competitors are too inwardly centered.

I wasn’t as good at power lifting but loved the meets. The camaraderie was energy stimulating. Our team would party, and party heavy with the other team after the meet. Most every meet in Florida the team trophy was between our two teams.

1 Like

I like them as a competitor, but as much as a fan. What was your favorite PED for powerlifting?

Yes, interested in this also…

Or your measuring tape slipped off, or left a hole somewhere, or you started anavar and now how a bit more glycogen stored in arms.
Or your calipper was a mm to the right or left in a few spots, or you are a bit more dehydrated.
Bodybuilding is all about illusion - some people look better with a pump, for example. Some guys can pump an inch to their bicep, some cant almost any.
Of course if you have all the high tech medical equipment - maybe you can measure. But not at home, for free.
What im saying is - its very hard to judge if my arms got bigger or do i just hold more water. Am i leaner or am i just dehydrated, or my caliper slipped for a mm in one of the measuring sites. Its a nightmare to track bodybuilding progress.

1 Like

Back in those days, the strongest “speed” we knew was Biphetamine 20 (mg), aka Black Beauties. We knew a doctor who would prescribe them, and only needed a few, because we only used them for the meet. We would take turns going to him so he wouldn’t think we were “abusing” the drug. It was an instrument to perform a function. So many would call it abuse, but I considered it an advantage.

I took one Black Beauty with about 12 ounces of coffee before the squat. And then after the bench press I took a second Black Beauty for the deadlift.

We could party hardy with our opposing team late into the night at what ever night club was chosen.

2 Likes

That’s strong as FUCK. I take dexamphetamine for ADHD, though not every day; only when studying for college (I have a prescription that I’m supposed to take daily).

I can take 20mg/day if I want, that’s near my max prescribed daily dose… but at that point it feels like I’m just tweaking…

1 Like

I didn’t know anything about any of that until I listened to a Mike Mentzer interview, he was open about it.

Listened to the entire interview not having any idea he’d passed away.

Him and his brother Ray died about a week apart. I don’t know about Ray, but Mike was abusing uppers to be more productive. I think that with the aas was too much for his genetics to handle.

1 Like

Most people who use steroids and die, usually die because of shit they take WITH aas… like drugs or painkillers.
I find it weird, but bodybuilding actually goes hand in hand with parties and drugs and alcohol. When i was a kid i wanted to be a bodybuilder because i tought that the only unhealthy thing they do is steroids, but it turns out you can buy party drugs and roofies at the same dude you buy your test.
Thats why im more into strenght nowdays - all the strong dudes are just boring fat farts who eat and lift. I dont really think you can mix powerlifting with getting shitfaced every night :smiley:

I think there is a thing where sone people are less risk adverse than others. They are the ones going off the big jumps, but also the ones who are more likely to try different drugs including steroids and rec drugs.

I won’t try any thing harder than booze and pot, because with my personality I would be an addict.

1 Like

I have same personality also - show me a game i like and i will be grinding it and forgetting to eat… thats why i dont try new fun activities, because if i like them i will want to be above average in them, and spend my time and money on that…

1 Like

It’s interesting people say this given alcohol is one of the more addictive substances one can try. Rather due to the engrained sociocultural acceptance of booze it doesn’t attract the same kind of stigma.

I haven’t taken anything other than pot in a long time (looking at about six months now), but I tried some of the harder stuff when I was 18/19 (mostly between the period of after high school graduation and before covid hit). The hardest thing I’ve ever tried once, and would never try again was opium. It actually wasn’t that special, put me to sleep, made me nauseous and that’s about it. I suppose the feeling people like is that feeling like you’ve been wrapped in the warmest blanket imaginable, like everything is okay no matter how terrible everything actually is… But that’s obviously the dangerous part that’s going to re-enforce further use prior to physical dependancy developing, the fact that it allows you to feel like everything is fine even when things aren’t fine.

Granted I don’t appear to have a particularly addictive personality

Haven’t stopped the booze since I started. I don’t drink much though. Just on weekends mostly. Although I did have my fair share yesterday. Tried to add the drinks up yesterday, and couldn’t, so it must have been a lot.

Drinking every weekend (to me) is a lot. I don’t think I’ve been drunk since… I want to say January or February.

There was a time when I would also do it on the weekends though. Plenty of people go through that phase, I quickly found clubbing/going to bars got old, people routinely got hurt… it seemed like an expensive waste of time to justify taking mind altering substances absent of scrutiny.

Then I noticed (for others) novelty seemed to wear off for routine activities. So now whenever people my age want to go to the park for a picnic, or go camping… alcohol or other substances need to be involved in order to make the event fun. That’s a fat red flag if you can’t find joy without inebriation; but no one listens to me.

Why do you feel the need to drink this way? The rationale is a telling sign as to whether use is particularly problematic. Do you drink because you feel more in control and/or as if things aren’t as bad when you do? Or do you drink to have fun.

Both can lead to addiction, but the former is far more troubling and usually leads to more destructive patterns of use.

1 Like

When I was young I used to drink with the sole intention of blacking out. I was very much of a “go big or go home” type of person. If I’m being honest it’s probably because I was insecure about not seeming “badass” enough when I was a Marine.

I don’t have that problem now. I don’t really drink at all, but because I just don’t like it, not because I have to stay away at the risk of getting addicted.

1 Like

Just for fun. Don’t drink alone. Yesterday I wasn’t particularly drunk, just started drinking early with family for my brother in law’s birthday, then we hit a bar.

Most weeks I have about 10 drinks, mostly on the weekend, but if we hit the beach during the week, we’ll usually have 2 of those hard selzers. I’m counting that into my average. This week has just been a lot, which of I do it enough would bring up my average, but it is only every several months that I have that many drinks.

I was also like this up starting when I turned 18 up until I was 19. Then I no longer saw the point in getting as drunk as possible (but not to the point of throwing up, so drunk but not throwing up).

Blackouts are largely genetic. I’ve never blacked out on anything.

Ooofffff, never admit you drink these. There’s a bit of a stigma behind fruitier drinks/men where I live. I think it’s a stupid stigma, ethanol is ethanol. Rather these fruity drinks aren’t the best bang for your buck regarding ethanol dose vs empty caloric consumption.

By fruity i’m not referring to homosexuality. I refer to the fact many of these drinks are like… Apple, peach, pineapple flavoured etc.

1 Like

They are about as low of calorie as you can get. They have only like one carb. 100 calories each, all pretty much from alcohol. It’s why I drink them. I don’t really care what others think of it.

For… Scientific purposes.

What drink are you talking about