T Nation

Another Hypocritical Industry

Let me say this RIGHT AT THE START:

I KNOW “it’s business”…

But it seems somewhat hypocritical that an industry takes a 14 year old girl at the time (Kate Moss)…creates this image for her of a “naughty/waif/pre-teen with the crack-whore look”…makes MILLIONS off her…then drop her quicker than she dropped her cloths in those “Calvin Klein” ads when she admits (or is caught) using cocaine/crack (which is rampant in the industry initially as a form of “weight control”)…

I know, I know…it’s business…she’s a grown (and rich, if it hasn’t all gone up her nose) girl now, so where is her responsibility…

I just don’t like the idea of how easily people get “thrown away” when others (and an industry) are done with them…

(Flame away…!)

Mufasa

well thats life you might as well curse god. why did she admit to using coke when it would hurt her marketability? Deny Deny Deny. And that is a great point about the industry knowing its models are coke bimbos but not wanting to admit it. Crazy!

That is a bit creul. Even a lot of employer provided health plans cover rehab. I don’t agree with the reduced marketability either. It would seem that the admission of use would be a foregone conclusion. Besides, don’t you have to go to rehab a couple of times to earn your stripes in Hollywood?

Eh, I wouldn’t mind making millions and then being dropped from Calvin Klein ads, only to go on to a successful career as a movie star. There was nothing for her to gain from admitting it, was a bad decision on her part. In terms of terrible things that happen in the world, this is pretty minor.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
That is a bit creul. Even a lot of employer provided health plans cover rehab. I don’t agree with the reduced marketability either. It would seem that the admission of use would be a foregone conclusion. Besides, don’t you have to go to rehab a couple of times to earn your stripes in Hollywood?[/quote]

Yes , all correct. She would have to clean up her image and do charity or something before getting back into modeling, b/c her image is now tainted. I think , and this is just a theory that modeling industry wont want a coked out model b/c of jokes like the crack-model diet plan , ect. The industry is watching itself to keep it in a good ethical view.

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:
The industry is watching itself to keep it in a good ethical view.[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha!!

Hehehehehehehe!!

GASP

Hahahahahahaha!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
thabigdon24 wrote:
The industry is watching itself to keep it in a good ethical view.

Hahahahahahaha!!

Hehehehehehehe!!

GASP

Hahahahahahaha!![/quote]

Yes quite ludicrous that it is trying to do that i agree, but the buck has to stop somewhere and they obviously don’t want a drug user to be in contract w/ them. The biggest and obvious disagreement to this would be all of the fashionistas in the 70’s & 80’s doing all kinds of things and all of the partying going down i know but its kept on the DL regardless. Deny deny deny X.

Kate was one of a select group of Supermodels that was “created” by an industry. In other words, at the time she hit the scene at 14 years of age (mid-to-late 80’s/90’s), “the look” was of the emaciacted, waifish crack-addict…

The industry also puts its “head in the sand” concening eating disorders, drug use and partying among models…

There may not be much that an “industry” can do (the models are independent contractors)…but Kate’s case just seems sad to me…

Mufasa

One point, I don’t think she admitted anything, the word I heard was that she was caught on film doing it.

There is a bit of a difference there.

Just a point of clarification:

She didn’t “admit” anything, she got cold busted, the pictures are everywhere. And for an industry that values nothing more than appearance, this is probably not the best way to market yourself:

She is worth 30,000,000 pounds and she is unattractive.

I don’t think she has much to bitch about the modeling industry.

It doesn’t sound like a raw deal to me.

This topic can go in so many directions. We can talk about this industry and how it objectifies women, which is true. But these women also go into it willingly with the knowledge of how the underside works. We can talk about how they are over paid but treated like crap. Which is also true. But I think the real question is, is the industry shaping our views, or is society’s views shaping the industry?

She should try Westside for skinny bitches. And really watch that post- workout carb intake!

lostinthought:

“Is the industry shaping our views, or is society’s views shaping the industry?”

I’ve thought about this a LOT…and I think that it’s the former…the industry shapes our views (with a LOT of reinforcement from those in the entertainment industry)…and those influences can be profound…

But I think that it starts with the fashion and cosmetics industry. Yea…we all would like to THINK that we “think for ourselves” when it comes to fashions and trends…but those messages can be so “under the radar” that we don’t even notice them…

Think about it…

Mufasa

Once i was at a friend’s party and went in his room to go do some coke. After we chiled for a bit we came out and everybody was staring at me and i was all " You all are judging w/ your eyes " and my girlfriend got pissed and said " You have coke all over your face! " . I tried to deny but i guess like ms moss i just couldnt. :slight_smile:

Hundreds of people get chopped from their jobs each day, and you find it’s sad and cruel that it happened to a millionaire?

That is fuckin funny.

…Looks like Katie is going to take the rap for 2 decades of excessive cocaine use by super models…such a media hype…will be ‘bad Katie’ for about 3 weeks…Katie does a month of rehab…all is well again,…Katie goes on an exclusive interview with Oprah, pleas guilty…‘but has learned her lesson now’… and is worth even more then before…Does she quit?..'Course not!..simply more careful in the future where she lines 'em up… Somebody had a good day though…I bet they paid a pretty penny for those snapshots…:wink:

Rockscar:

This is neither an “either/or” discussion OR a lack of recognition of people who lose their jobs everyday…people close to me have lost their jobs, including my own Brother…

It’s a discussion of one famous person and of one industry…

So save it…

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Rockscar:

This is neither an “either/or” discussion OR a lack of recognition of people who lose their jobs everyday…people close to me have lost their jobs, including my own Brother…

It’s a discussion of one famous person and of one industry…

So save it…

But why do we care? What I’m saying is the brothers and mothers in life are the ones that really matter.

Mufasa[/quote]

This is the same kind of thing that has kept me from watching MLB since the second strike. They make too much money to begin with…and complain about it!

There is no way I feel sorry for her.

This is what your post is about…feeling sorry for someone we don’t know…a millionaire… because they lost a job because they are stupid on drugs?

Of course the Industry must duck and run. This is Capitalism which requires positive marketing.

You save it.

1. Read the VERY FIRST point that I made.

2. I’ll never tell ANYONE who to have or not have compassion for…that’s up to each individual…

Mufasa