T Nation

Another 'Help with My Split' Thread

Hello everyone, my goal here is to create a good Bodybuilding oriented 5-3-1 split

I always seek more pulling than pushing to at least keep my posture how it is (I used to have a horrible posture and it is really easy to revert back). I added an arm day in the week-end because I feel I can get away with it…

I am not 100% sure about my lower body days and the accessory exercise rep range
Also it is not really consistent with the structure of the accessory exercise if that matters.

Any constructive input is really appreciated.

Monday

A. military press (531)
B. wide grip pull-up (46-8)
C1. DB military press (3
10)
C2. close-grip supinated lat pulldown (312)
D1.DB lateral raise (4
8)
D2.facepull (3*12)

tuesday

A. Deadlift (531)
B. romanian deadlift (310)
C. Glute ham raise (3
max)
D. leg curls (4*10)

thursday (tuesday?) fourth day of the week

A. Bench (531)
B. DB incline bench (20*) (310)
C. chest-supported row (4
10)
D. DB row (2*max) with the 120’s (heaviest DB in my gym)
E1. machine horizontal row (3-4 feel set)
E2. machine fly (3-4 feel set)

friday

Squat (531)
Bulgarian split squat (48)
BB lunges (2
24) (12 per legs)
leg extension (3*15)
calf whatever

saturday - arms
wednesday - Hockey (wussy school activity)

EDITED with 1st reply

Seems like way too much volume for the lower body to me man. 4x15 for good morning? Your gonna induce quite a bit of fatigue and you don’t wanna injure yourself. I mean with squats I would do 4x15…and have done before…but good mornings just seem WAY too risky for me.
You could get away and make good strength gains following your squat with split squats, or glute ham raises.
And after the deadlifts add in your rdl’s and good mornings.
Keep reps lower though…like a 3x8, 4x6 approach. don’t go extreme heavy but get a good lift/workout from it.
It is lower volume but you’ll be doing 2 assistance movements so you’ll get a good effect from it.
With a set-up like that I would de-load on the 4th or 5th week. Change up the rep schemes as well.

Also not sure why you have so many high reps for those movements with that many sets for upper body
You can do something like each week do a different rep scheme. 3x8, 4x6, 6x4, 3x5 for bigger movements. the smaller ones keep the reps higher.
you could also go 3x10, 4x6, 5x5, 3x5. there’s a lot of diff. things but I don’t think on the bigger movements you should do such things and you can get bigger/stronger doing that.

In other words I don’t think you should just go straight into 5x10 on some movements (4x6-8 on wide grip pullups sounds good) but then 5x10 on should press…you won’t be able to do that kidna volume every week…especailly training upper body 2x a week. you’ll burn out fast…either work up to that volume…starting at 3x10, 4x10, 5x10, 4th week 2x10. OR start higher volume and less weight…then move up in weight and use less reps. (more directed for strength) not 100% sure what your looking for.

Anyways that’s just my input on how I would set it up. I figured i’d take a quick look at it cause you haven’t gotten any replies yet.
Go get em.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Seems like way too much volume for the lower body to me man. 4x15 for good morning? Your gonna induce quite a bit of fatigue and you don’t wanna injure yourself. I mean with squats I would do 4x15…and have done before…but good mornings just seem WAY too risky for me.
You could get away and make good strength gains following your squat with split squats, or glute ham raises.
And after the deadlifts add in your rdl’s and good mornings.
Keep reps lower though…like a 3x8, 4x6 approach. don’t go extreme heavy but get a good lift/workout from it.
It is lower volume but you’ll be doing 2 assistance movements so you’ll get a good effect from it.
With a set-up like that I would de-load on the 4th or 5th week. Change up the rep schemes as well.

Also not sure why you have so many high reps for those movements with that many sets for upper body
You can do something like each week do a different rep scheme. 3x8, 4x6, 6x4, 3x5 for bigger movements. the smaller ones keep the reps higher.
you could also go 3x10, 4x6, 5x5, 3x5. there’s a lot of diff. things but I don’t think on the bigger movements you should do such things and you can get bigger/stronger doing that.

In other words I don’t think you should just go straight into 5x10 on some movements (4x6-8 on wide grip pullups sounds good) but then 5x10 on should press…you won’t be able to do that kidna volume every week…especailly training upper body 2x a week. you’ll burn out fast…either work up to that volume…starting at 3x10, 4x10, 5x10, 4th week 2x10. OR start higher volume and less weight…then move up in weight and use less reps. (more directed for strength) not 100% sure what your looking for.

Anyways that’s just my input on how I would set it up. I figured i’d take a quick look at it cause you haven’t gotten any replies yet.
Go get em.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. It is hard to get people to give a shit with this kind of thread…

Anyway I was planning high reps to keep CNS from being too much drained after the primary exercise. Thinking about it twice I agree that was too much volume. I removed to Good morning too because I couldn’t fit them in a way that was not redundant with what I was doing.

Now that it is edited with lower volume should I deload the accessory exercise on the fourth week?

Mmm not on eye level with you…which accessory exercise do you want to deload on the 4th week?

For deloading you can do it either reduce volume in half of everything keep intensity the same, you can leave primary exercise in…but cut out accessory when you want to deload.
I would do the first so you can still be working everything but depends on what you feel is better.

If your primarily lookin to gain strength n size and you go after that shit like raging bull…I suggest if you aren’t making increases in reps on exercises or weight on exercises (main exercises) then I suggest you have a deload and you will probably come back stronger. Of course that deload would be over a period of anywhere after 3 weeks (deload 4th) or 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.
Depends how your doing but seems most ppl if training very hard better to deload on 4th or 5th week.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Mmm not on eye level with you…which accessory exercise do you want to deload on the 4th week?

For deloading you can do it either reduce volume in half of everything keep intensity the same, you can leave primary exercise in…but cut out accessory when you want to deload.
I would do the first so you can still be working everything but depends on what you feel is better.

If your primarily lookin to gain strength n size and you go after that shit like raging bull…I suggest if you aren’t making increases in reps on exercises or weight on exercises (main exercises) then I suggest you have a deload and you will probably come back stronger. Of course that deload would be over a period of anywhere after 3 weeks (deload 4th) or 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.
Depends how your doing but seems most ppl if training very hard better to deload on 4th or 5th week.[/quote]

In 5-3-1 you deload every fourth week by doing 3*5 with 40% 50% and 60% of your max. When there is not much accessory volume you dont deload it but when there is a lot of volume I dont know

bump

haha to the bump.
I’m not sure what your trying to bump sir. Mmm when there is a lot of volume I would just cut back some on the volume if you feel you need it. If you are deloading primary big compound movements, then maybe you won’t ahve to for the smaller stuff cause it’s not as taxing.

The deload is to come back stronger, because you aren’t improving anymore and well putting your body under a lot of stress for multiple weeks at a time…eventually you need a break.
You also don’t HAVE to deload. Sure it says that in 5/3/1, but if you keep making gains and arent stopping…what’s the point to deloading?
I’ve been on a program before where it calls to de-load…but I didn’t because my gains kept coming…I wasn’t reading for the deload…my body was still in an over-reaching state I guess…so there was no point.

I do have the 5/3/1 manual but I have only skimmed through it. Actually I really need to read it to see if I can apply any of the methods to my program cause of such great things I hear about it.

But back on topic, I’ll go through the 5/3/1 manual and see if I can help you cause I gotta read it.

So in summary…if it has little accessory volume don’t deload…if it has a lot of volume…but your still deloading your main movement…stick with it and see how it works.
But when you bring back the main moevment I wouldn’t suggest having that high intensity/volume and keeping your volume high for a long time.
When you go back to your main movement, cut down that volume some and you should make some gains.

Not sure if that answered your question or not lol hopefully it helped some…if not maybe I can still be of some help if you have another question about it re-worded differently.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
haha to the bump.
I’m not sure what your trying to bump sir. Mmm when there is a lot of volume I would just cut back some on the volume if you feel you need it. If you are deloading primary big compound movements, then maybe you won’t ahve to for the smaller stuff cause it’s not as taxing.

The deload is to come back stronger, because you aren’t improving anymore and well putting your body under a lot of stress for multiple weeks at a time…eventually you need a break.
You also don’t HAVE to deload. Sure it says that in 5/3/1, but if you keep making gains and arent stopping…what’s the point to deloading?
I’ve been on a program before where it calls to de-load…but I didn’t because my gains kept coming…I wasn’t reading for the deload…my body was still in an over-reaching state I guess…so there was no point.

I do have the 5/3/1 manual but I have only skimmed through it. Actually I really need to read it to see if I can apply any of the methods to my program cause of such great things I hear about it.

But back on topic, I’ll go through the 5/3/1 manual and see if I can help you cause I gotta read it.

So in summary…if it has little accessory volume don’t deload…if it has a lot of volume…but your still deloading your main movement…stick with it and see how it works.
But when you bring back the main moevment I wouldn’t suggest having that high intensity/volume and keeping your volume high for a long time.
When you go back to your main movement, cut down that volume some and you should make some gains.

Not sure if that answered your question or not lol hopefully it helped some…if not maybe I can still be of some help if you have another question about it re-worded differently.[/quote]

yes thanks you
that was nice

no problem, glad i could help some.