Another 'Help My Diet' Thread

Been eating clean and Low Carbing the last couple months, and haven’t been too rigid in my approach in terms of macro breakdown (I track them and try to keep carbs below 90 grams a day on a sub 2000 cal diet (I’m 5’8 and now 172, down from 182 2 months ago).

Anyway, I decided to do some calculations and found out that I have been eating 40% Protein, 40% Fat, and 20% Carbs. (all from foods like: Chicken, Eggs, Tuna, PB, Yougourt, Oatmeal, Apples, Vegetables, Post workout shake, Cheese, Nuts, that’s it that’s all)

40% Fat seems like a lot of fat good fat or not! Is this an odd Macro break down? is it healthy? In terms of goals, I am almost there, just need to get that last bit of fat of the lower abs.

Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Nothing wrong with the macro breakdown at all for you. Might be just what you need. Fats are essential, so is protein carbs arent. base you meals first on getting the protein in then a good souce of fat, last a quality carb source .

How many grms of protein are you getting??

Phil

Somewhere between 175-200g protein/day

Doesn’t look too bad, but remember to watch where your fats come from, stick to lean meats and get your fats from nuts and olive oil if possible.

The DRI recommendation is 25%-35%, so yo aren’t too far off.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Doesn’t look too bad, but remember to watch where your fats come from, stick to lean meats and get your fats from nuts and olive oil if possible.

The DRI recommendation is 25%-35%, so yo aren’t too far off.[/quote]

Watch out, Zagman just opened up his Nutrition 101 textbook… You’ve gotta be kidding me with the DRI.

Your diet is better than 99% of the western world. Eat up. And especially if you are trying to get rid of that last stubborn bit of fat, lower the carbs even more. Replace the calories with meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and oils.

Nice, it’s good to know I am on the right track here…On a related issue, How much Peanut Butter is too much?? I am getting addicted to this stuff and end up eating a spoonfull about 4-5 times a day!!

Eggs too, about 4-5/day…too much?

Also, the only way to really cut Carbs is if I chop the Oatmeal at breakfast, because I’m not going to expunge my fruits and veggies!

Do you suggest I iX-Nay on the Oatmeal?

Well you don’t really need the oatmeal, but if you have to have a grain/starch then breakfast is the best time to have it (other than peri-workout). If you can adjust to protein/fat/veggies/fruit in the morning than go with that.

I eat pretty much like you, oats/fruit/protein in the morning, fats/protein/veggies/fruit throughout the day, then a carb/pro drink PWO, grain/starch PWO meal, then fat/pro before bed.

We’ll see if cutting the Oatmeal out will help jump start my progress!