T Nation

Another Good Reason for TRT

I found this article while doing some research on various hormones involved in diabetes:

Ghrelin is a complimentary hormone to leptin, BTW.

“Testosterone Replacement Therapy Restores Normal Ghrelin in Hypogonadal Men”
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/88/9/4139

Some interesting extracts from the abstract;

"Total and free T and plasma ghrelin levels were significantly lower in the hypogonadal men than in the control groups. Hypogonadal men also had a significantly higher insulin resistance state. "

That seems to imply that hypogonadal men are more prone to Syndrome X. Also, since ghrelin stimulates stomach acid production, hypogonadal men will probably be prone to digestive disorders.

“After the 6-month replacement T therapy, ghrelin levels of hypogonadal patients increased and did not differ significantly in comparison with both control groups. The positive correlation between ghrelin and androgens still persisted after T replacement therapy, after adjusting for confounding variables.”

“These data further indicate that sex hormones modulate circulating ghrelin concentrations in humans. This may be consistent with the concept that ghrelin may exert a relevant role in the endocrine network connecting the control of the reproductive system with the regulation of energy balance.”

Another good reason to be on TRT.

[quote]yorik wrote:
I found this article while doing some research on various hormones involved in diabetes:

Ghrelin is a complimentary hormone to leptin, BTW.

“Testosterone Replacement Therapy Restores Normal Ghrelin in Hypogonadal Men”

Some interesting extracts from the abstract;

"Total and free T and plasma ghrelin levels were significantly lower in the hypogonadal men than in the control groups. Hypogonadal men also had a significantly higher insulin resistance state. "

That seems to imply that hypogonadal men are more prone to Syndrome X. Also, since ghrelin stimulates stomach acid production, hypogonadal men will probably be prone to digestive disorders.

“After the 6-month replacement T therapy, ghrelin levels of hypogonadal patients increased and did not differ significantly in comparison with both control groups. The positive correlation between ghrelin and androgens still persisted after T replacement therapy, after adjusting for confounding variables.”

“These data further indicate that sex hormones modulate circulating ghrelin concentrations in humans. This may be consistent with the concept that ghrelin may exert a relevant role in the endocrine network connecting the control of the reproductive system with the regulation of energy balance.”

Another good reason to be on TRT.

[/quote]
This blows me away. For the past several years I was Prilosec dependent, figured it was just the job. Somwhere during the past year I just quit needing them and actually didnt think twice about it. Figured it was maybe better eating habits cause I was training hard again. Guess what I started taking again recently since I went off HRT. Yep. Shit. And I’m still eating right. It still could be all the stress of this prostate crap and fighting through post HRT letdown, but your article really hit me like a brick. Doc