Another Golf Post!

Just wanted to let everyone know how i’m doing. So far I have played 3 rounds of golf this year and am striking the ball amazingly. My putting is also very good for this time of year. I have already shot 2 shots over my lowest score ever and that was the second time I played this year. The next round was 3 shots over my lowest. My mind and body are in tune to what I want to accomplish and I think the life changes that I am making are allowing me to be my best at what I want to be. This progression could put me in a position of going to Q school much earlier than I thought possible, as in maybe next year of the year after. Well heres to a great start so far this year and to improving my game and focus every time I tee it up.

V

Does Spike seem to have any positive effect on your game or have you tried it for golf yet?

I ask this in seriousness, I’ve noticed the stuff helps me in all activities so far, sparring, umpiring, lifting, etc.

I have not used it while playing golf yet. It’s more of a timing issue for me at this point as I have not played any golf on the weekends, only after work. I don’t take my Spike on workdays because I drink too much coffee at the moment. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Ok so off topic but performance related. I took a crack at the V-Diet or a very similar one, (berries in my shakes) for about one week. I wanted to see how it affected me but wasn’t really looking to drop a bunch of weight. Plus I had our dart league playoffs coming up and I didn’t want t be messing around untill they were over with.

Well a day before our first playoff match I started to eat normal again, I felt absolutely wonderful and my energy was through the roof. Then something amazing happened for one full night I was absolutely on fire. I shot a 4.5 MPR average for the night which for anyone who doesn’t know much about darts is basically at a high pro level. I even shot a 6.0 for one full game that night which is pretty much unheard of. The people I was playing with couldn’t believe it (and we smoked them to boot) as I am only a first year league player and my average is a 2.2 MPR.

Anyways, I have nothing to contribute this performance to other than the fact that I was so up and in the zone like I have never been before. I think coming off the V-Diet with a lower energy level to jumping right back into a normal diet, essentially bounced me into some type of super performance mode. The next day I practiced and was hitting everything in sight, but then the effect started dwindling after that.

Of course I will be expirimenting with this in the future, and might try to do this before my first golf league night to see if it will do anything there as well. If it is something I can repeat this may be the start of a very good thing. Has anyone else noticed any effects when coming off the V-Diet or similar diets? either in lifting or non lifting sports.

V

Congrats!

Hoping not to hijack your thread, but, I’ve got a question. . .

I haven’t played golf in a few years, and I’m looking to get back into it.

Any recommendations on a solid brand/type for a relative newbie? I’ve been checking stuff out online, but so much has come out since I last stepped off the green, that I’m not sure.

Thanks!

Honestly, check out a set of rams, you can buy a complete set for under 200 bucks and they are game improvement clubs which means they will help keep the ball high and straight. They also come with a bag, headcovers the whole nine yards. And depending on how serious you take your golf game these clubs could last you a couple years to the rest of your life. By far the best value in a set of new golf clubs out there.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Honestly, check out a set of rams, you can buy a complete set for under 200 bucks and they are game improvement clubs which means they will help keep the ball high and straight. They also come with a bag, headcovers the whole nine yards. And depending on how serious you take your golf game these clubs could last you a couple years to the rest of your life. By far the best value in a set of new golf clubs out there.

V[/quote]

I just checked them out - looks like I’m going to have to nab me a set.

Thanks!

OK, I’m jumping in. I need to find some solid fairway woods for myself. I have an old 3 and 5 wood with this overly small heads, outdated, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for fairway woods? Not looking for anything overly elaborate, but something to help my mid-90’s game drop to the low-90’s (would love to get high 80’s soon).

Kuz

Vegita

Good luck with your quest. I cannot imagine a nicer way to earn a living then to earn it playing golf. If I could play any sport at the pro-level that’s what it would be.

I have really applied myself to getting stronger over the last three years and I did. My game also improved tremendously. I am not anywhere near a scratch golfer but I am having a great time staying strong the entire round vs. my friends.

Keep it up and let us know your progress!

Cool to see some fellow golfers on T-Nation. I am actually getting back into golf after having not played in about 8 years. I went down to the local Nevada Bob’s and got some used irons. Fop Flite Tours with graphite shafts extended 1/4". The are a little rough but I got them for $40! $5 a club! Can’t beat that with a stick. My dad gave me his old driver and 3 and 5 wood. Some funky Jap clubs he bought in Vegas a few years ago. Now I just need to get out there and play because I suck big time!

I also play golf, although I’ve only just recently gone to the driving range once a couple weeks ago I struck the ball GOOD. With my Ti bubble 2 driver, which I had previously been unable to hit consistently, I hit about 5 shots perfectly straight maybe just a little under 300 yards. So things are looking up I reckon, maybe I can shoot par this summer! I shoot maybe mid 80’s now.

Sorry that didn’t make much sense, I have been playing since I was 10 or so, 21 now. I just went to the driving range a couple weeks ago cause winter is over.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
OK, I’m jumping in. I need to find some solid fairway woods for myself. I have an old 3 and 5 wood with this overly small heads, outdated, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for fairway woods? Not looking for anything overly elaborate, but something to help my mid-90’s game drop to the low-90’s (would love to get high 80’s soon).

Kuz[/quote]

Kuz,
What are you looking to spend on a 3 and a 5 wood? You can get some really nice stuff brand new from some of the bigger comparnies, but you will pay a bit.

A good tip is to go to a place that will let you hit their clubs on a driving range or take them out to play. I like the DR better cuz I don’t hit many fairway wood shots in a normal round.

YOu could also check out places that sell used clubs. Some big bertha’s from the past are still probably around, maybe some taylor mades, titleist, wilson, etc.

Didn’t realize there were many other golfers on here. What are some people’s handicaps?

I am around a 7-9. would probably be lower but don’t get to play as much as i used to.

[quote]PharmD Pete wrote:
Didn’t realize there were many other golfers on here. What are some people’s handicaps?

I am around a 7-9. would probably be lower but don’t get to play as much as i used to.[/quote]

I used to be off 17 when I was playing regularly up until about 1998, when an elbow injury put me out for 6 months. Straight after that I finished uni and moved into the real world, ie got a job! I soon realised that all that time used to have for golf vanished and it wasn’t worth the money to stay a member of my club, which was one of the better clubs in Sydney and therefore expensive.

At them moment I might play about 5 times per year but could still play to about 20 on a good day. My problem is always consistency, when I’m in the zone I can smack a 3 wood (don’t have a driver) well over 250m. My pitching and chipping suffers the most from long breaks in between games, and getting up and down is what makes the most difference to my scores. Maybe in the future I’ll be able to get back into it full time.

The best place I go for golf clubs, especially if you want a deal is either e-bay or tgw.com just go to the closouts and see what you like, there are some steals there.

At the end of last year I was a 12 but so far I have played 3 rounds and shot 3 over and 4 over the last 2 times out. (with a lot of stupid mistakes) Hopefully I can get to a scratch or even a 1 or 2 by mid summer. At the end of last year I was thinking getting under 10 like an 8 or 9 would be good for this year, but now I feel so good that I want to go all the way.

I’d also like to make another point about golf equipment. Sure the newest stuff will make a difference in your game, but any of these things you see claiming to take 5 or more strokes off your game is pure BS. I am using the first Nike driver made, which is 5 years old at this point and I already hit a 340 yard drive this year and i’m roping it down the middle almost every time. An hour at the range really working on improving, not just pounding balls will make more difference in your game than buying every top of the line peice of equipment at once. More importantly than what clubs you get is if they are fitted to you properly. So remember, before you break the bank getting that $400 driver, or $200 putter, make sure you realize that you still have to swing it properly in order for it to work.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know how i’m doing. So far I have played 3 rounds of golf this year and am striking the ball amazingly. My putting is also very good for this time of year. I have already shot 2 shots over my lowest score ever and that was the second time I played this year. The next round was 3 shots over my lowest. My mind and body are in tune to what I want to accomplish and I think the life changes that I am making are allowing me to be my best at what I want to be. This progression could put me in a position of going to Q school much earlier than I thought possible, as in maybe next year of the year after. Well heres to a great start so far this year and to improving my game and focus every time I tee it up.

V[/quote]

By Q school do you mean Qualifying school for the PGA tour? Or is it another Q school that you speak of?

Yea thats the Q school I’m talking about. Either that or I may try the nationwide tour also, it will be a bit easier to get into that and I can make some money there and compete well and possibly make the top 20 or 25 and get an automatic card for the following PGA tour season. Again, I know being a scratch golfer isn’t all you need to make a living in golf. I am however confident in my drive and my abilities to know that this is what is meant for me. Don’t worry, when I make it out on tour you guys will surely know who I am.

V

Vegita, if you’re doing as well as you are enter tournaments and as many as you can. Shooting low numbers is great and all but doing t in tournament golf is a COMPLETELY different beast. You MUST get out of the frame work of just going out by yourself. Since you want to play on the tour some day you need tournament exposure, and an immense amount. Start immediatly. Join the mens club at your course and play in as many tournaments and qualifiers as you can. You’ll get a legit handicap and that will enable you to play in some of the bigger tournaments.

I’ll never forget shooting 1 under the day before my first tournament only to shoot 94 and 89 in it! Play tournaments and wager if you can with your buddies or who ever you play with. ANYTHING you can do to add more nerves to the round, will benefit you in the future.

What’s your real name if you do make it?

What’s your lowest score on an 18-hole course this year?

I hear you there, I am planning on playing in a boatload this year. I played a lot last year but unfortunately most of them are scramble formats. However I do play in 2 leagues a week, and one is very large, with like 180+ men every year. I will definately need to play in our city amatuer tournament this year too though. It’s tough to find tournaments where I can just enter by myself, is there anyplace on the web which lists such events? Or do I just have to rely on my golf pro to let me know whats out there?

V