T Nation

Another Excuse To Be Fat

DARK CHOCOALATE!

Look, guys!

THE AMOUNT OF DARK CHOCOLATE NEEDED FOR HEALTH BENEFITS, IN MOST STUDIES, WAS THE SIZE OF ABOUT ONE (1) “KISS”!

1. This was UNREFINED, UNSWEETENED DARK chocolate (not the milk chocolate most Americans are used to in Candy Bars).

2. It DOES NOT “overcome” the health effects of obesity!

Americans are now eating Snikers, drinking loads of Wine and cooking their pork ribs in Olive Oil (because its all “good for 'ya”)…and getting fatter…

(Geeze!)

Discuss?

Mufasa

I agree, people in today’s world think that since they are eating healthy on a few items, say like adding whole wheat pasta for spaghetti instead of enriched noodles or adding healthy substitutes to meals like you’ve added, that it automatically allows them to eat 2 or 3 more serving just because its healthier. and sadly they think they are getting healthier, but in all thuth just the opposite. Moderatin is the key America.

I don’t think anyone who is actually scarfing down chocolate bar after chocolate bar and downing glass after glass of red wine actually thinks they’re doing something good for their health. In the end, they do it anyway.

A lot of people are under the impression that if a food has “vitamins” on the box that it is healthy.

Yeah that whole moderation thing is the key there. At least that’s been my experience. I have been able to lose weight, even without watching what I eat if I just watch how much I eat.

What’s bad is when you have been exercising and dieting, and have lost weight. Then you have to go and share a room on an oil rig with a guy who is 400lbs. He can’t bathe himself so he tries to mask his body oder with cologne. The worse part is when the cologne mixes with the BO and just makes it worse. I could smell it down the hall with my room door shut.

However can’t say shit because its discrimination. All because he can’t control it. Yet when you come on shift you find six empty bags of cheetos on the counter. I think one time he said he didnt want to walk to the galley so he just ate chips for lunch. I guess in his situation, walking to the galley would be considered exercise. We want to avoid that sort of thing.

It’s not fat people that are the problem really, cuz I have known some big guys who are cool as shit. They don’t stink and they take extra care on their hygene just to be sure that they are not inconveniencing anyone with their problem. Those people don’t get on my nerves.

On a side note it must suck to not be able to scratch your foot if it itches.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t think anyone who is actually scarfing down chocolate bar after chocolate bar and downing glass after glass of red wine actually thinks they’re doing something good for their health. In the end, they do it anyway.[/quote]

Rationalization. It is the same thing that allows obese people to continually claim they don’t really eat that much.

That man who had been confined to his room for over ten years because of how fat he was probably honestly believed that he was only eating about 2,000cals a day…as if the other 15,000 didn’t matter. If they keep telling themselves it isn’t that bad, eventually they just might believe it.

I eat about a tablespoon of raw cacao nibs a day. These are semi-bitter but are very good with a little bit of raw honey drizzled on them.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t think anyone who is actually scarfing down chocolate bar after chocolate bar and downing glass after glass of red wine actually thinks they’re doing something good for their health. In the end, they do it anyway.[/quote]

I’m not saying they’r binging on healthy food. I just think that when they have something somewhat healthier to eat or drink, that they over indulge in this in attempt to satisfy themslelves mentally.

Basicaly what im saying is that if a person normally eats like shit and then eats a healthy meal, that lean toward eating a little more since they know its good for them and its healthy so they see no limitations. I see it almost everyday.

I think there is a complete mythology in the general consumer about “healthy” foods.

When something has a health claim attached it is suddenly “healthy” food. There’s a damned continuum of nutritional issues and various food will fit in at various times.

Of course, that’s more complex than “healthy” vs “bad” isn’t it?

What’s more annoying is that people assume if they eat a “healthy” food that somehow, magically, they will be “healthy” themselves regardless of their other lifestyle and eating choices.

Luckily, the body does a good job of getting by on what it gets, whether “healthy” or not.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
I don’t think anyone who is actually scarfing down chocolate bar after chocolate bar and downing glass after glass of red wine actually thinks they’re doing something good for their health. In the end, they do it anyway.

Rationalization. It is the same thing that allows obese people to continually claim they don’t really eat that much.

That man who had been confined to his room for over ten years because of how fat he was probably honestly believed that he was only eating about 2,000cals a day…as if the other 15,000 didn’t matter. If they keep telling themselves it isn’t that bad, eventually they just might believe it. [/quote]

Maybe so. There are definitely some people like that. But most fat people I know recognize that they eat those foods because they taste good and know its not good for them. Not to say there’s no rationalization going on there either.

The thought process of those I’ve talked to goes something like this: “I like this. It tastes good. It’s bad for me in a lot of ways. But it has SOME health benefits too.” They haven’t truly convinced themselves that these are good foods to it. Just not that bad.

I also agree that people tote some documented health benefits of questionable foods and the ‘everything in moderation mentally’ to justify eating such foods. Which is fine. But then they proceed to NOT eat them in moderation.

that is just her off season pic

Damn, posting that picture with no warning is bordering on criminal.

It is quite rare to find a hugely obese person who knows they are doing the wrong thing, admits it, does something about it, and changes. But those people are pretty amazing.

I’m a big fan of those “Biggest Loser” programs on TV where they took really fat people and got them down to really good shape healthy eating properly and losing a tonne of weight. The guy who won the Australian Biggest Loser said he was always overweight since 3 years old, and man he was one heavy fellow.

Those shows don’t follow fad diet crap they show the real hard effort of exercise and good eating.

Hey, even McD has a healthy menu now. People tend to think that salad cancels out the two quarter pounders they just downed. Anything with added vitamins or minerals is good for you, but people never consider that healthy doesn’t need to come in a heaping plate with extra graving and a corn dog on the side…

God that photo is so gross.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
It is quite rare to find a hugely obese person who knows they are doing the wrong thing, admits it, does something about it, and changes.
[/quote]

Which is rationalization. Most obese people seem to underestimate drastically how much they eat. I hardly EVER hear someone claim they are overweight because they eat too much.

Usually, it is, “I’ve tried EVERYTHING and I still can’t lose weight”. On some levels, it is no different than the skinny newbies on this board who claim they just can’t gain weight and that they eat all of the time even though their intake is less than some of us eat when dieting.

Maybe it is the result of true ignorance as far as what calories even are. However, in this day and age, it is pretty hard to claim you just can’t find information on how you should live/eat better.

More often than not, their negative life situation is the result of ignoring a problem until it gets out of hand, or always looking for an easy way out when the answer is “lots of hard work and a lifestyle change”.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Hey, even McD has a healthy menu now. People tend to think that salad cancels out the two quarter pounders they just downed. Anything with added vitamins or minerals is good for you, but people never consider that healthy doesn’t need to come in a heaping plate with extra graving and a corn dog on the side…[/quote]

Please let that picture be a fake.

A little information is a dangerous thing. For example…

Lower intensity cardio burns a higher percentage of fat, but higher intensity will burn more total fat. Excuse: I dont do my cardio too hard because I want to be in the “fat burning zone”.

Higher rep/volume training can produce lactic acid and growth hormone, provided you are working hard enough. Excuse: I do light weight and high reps to get “toned”.

Many health food stores offer plenty of healthy choices with some unhealthy choices for variety and once-in-a-while treats. Excuse: It came from (insert health food store here)! It has to be healthy!!

Some people have a predisposition towards gaining fat (endomorphs). However, with proper diet and exercise, this can be overcome. Excuse: I cant lose weight, its genetics!

Learning what works for your body takes time and effort. Scientific studies, empirical data, etc, can help you make good choices, but in the end its really all about what works for you and what doesn’t. Excuse: Its all too confusing! Everything they say is healthy one year is unhealthy the next! Its too confusing to even try to keep up with.

There’s a woman in my department whose obesity has become nearly life-threatening. She has had one of the stomach surgeries, but it hasn’t helped. A friend of mine said that one day she was saying, “I just don’t understand why I can’t lose this weight” while she was unwrapping a candy bar AT THE SAME TIME. That’s certainly rationalization if she refuses to see the connection between the food that goes in and the body that it produces.

She’s very good at her job when she’s able to come in to work, and everyone in the department really likes her. But her weight prevents her coming in to work every day–she just cannot be counted on as a daily worker anymore. What’s amazing to me is that she can be so sharp about everything else and so deluded about the thing that may well kill her in a few years. Every smoker I know is fully aware of why they hack, but for some reason people who ingest toxic food every won’t see the connection.

[quote]Serd wrote:
I agree, people in today’s world think that since they are eating healthy on a few items, say like adding whole wheat pasta for spaghetti instead of enriched noodles or adding healthy substitutes to meals like you’ve added, that it automatically allows them to eat 2 or 3 more serving just because its healthier. and sadly they think they are getting healthier, but in all thuth just the opposite. Moderatin is the key America.[/quote]

Yes. So is Education. You can’t expect much out of people if they’re stupid as a board.