T Nation

Another Dog Food Post

I see many sources say that protein content of dog food shouldn't be greater than 23-24%.

What about the Innova EVO line http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?panel=na&id=1485
about double the protein, but has fruits/veggies as opposed to a lot of grain products.

Is more protein really bad for dogs? Reminds me of how protein for animals gets a bad rap, granted I don't get 45% of my calories from protein either.

I don't understand how it can be bad for them when in the wild they would be eating more than 45% protein.

I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again, it depends on the breed. From what I know, some dogs do well on EVO but many (usually medium and smaller breeds) do not. This fits with the strategy of feeding dogs according to the history of their nutritional needs.

My mastiff mix vomits foods made with grains because they were bred live on mainly raw meat, which is why we feed EVO. There is no way to say yes or no to the question "is more protein bad for dogs?" because dog breeds are so different.

However, it is incorrect to say that wolves or the primitive dog do/did not eat this or that as a blanket statement. They consume the intestines of their prey, and their prey usually are herbivores and contain all kinds of vegetation (very little of this being grains).

After reading the suggestions on the other thread, I went to Petco and asked about the raw food diet and although they didn't carry the freeze dried stuff, they did suggest Naturally Wild by Eukanuba which has 23% crude protein, and 14% crude fat. I bought a small bag and some hamburger and have been adding a little bit with my dog's normal food.

I called my vet and he is a fan of Naturally Wild by Eukanuba. He also suggested a place out by us called the Healthy Pantry which specializes in organic foods for pets so I will check that out on my next day off.

Get double protein stuff and crush some dianabols, sprinkle on everything. You can't go wrong.

Yeah, I saw Naturally Wild by Euk, looked pretty decent for a somewhat commercial brand.

I went ahead and stuck with Artemis for now they're Fresh Mix line.

3 bags (30 lbs each) $165 ouch

I am feeding my dog's Innova, but am trying to get to the basic raw diet (NOT THE BRAND) raw chicken, raw veggies and raw bones; I am working in ground flax seed and fish oil. I do not see how exceeding your percentage of protein could be harmful. My protein intake is more than that and I am more of an omnivore than my dog

Actually it can, if it's excessive. Dogs' renal systems are more sensitive than are humans'.

But really, the main problem with most dog food is an overabundance of grains (especially corn) as TC pointed out in the other thread, and most dog foods do not include enough good protein sources, so most dogs are at the other end of the health spectrum, with allergies and cancers caused by a poor diet of this kind.

Wish I had realized how crappy most dog foods were earlier on.

My Dane has basically lived off Pedigree for the past 5.5 yrs.

Thanks, Good to know, but why would it not effect coyotes and wolves, being that the majority of their diet is raw meat?

Because just as we have manipulated the appearance of dogs to create different breeds, their dietary needs have been affected as well. For example, chihuahuas were bred to be companions to Aztec royalty and the majority of their diet was vegetables. I feed Titus a very high-pro red meat diet because mastiffs were originally bred for the battlefield and lived a good deal on human and animal remains. He is in great health on it but I know labrador owners whose dogs can't keep it down.

Dogs are animals which have adapted to domestication and altered diets for thousands of years, in many vastly different cultures with likewise vastly different diets. What they thrive on will vary greatly. There are many domesticated breeds which were bred to live on a very high-protein diet, such as dogs originally bred for war or hunting. That's why I stress researching your breed and its needs specifically.

What really makes me frustrated about this whole issue is that we have figured it out about FISH, for heavens' sake, and you'd never feed an African cichlid the same food you'd give an Asian koi... but hey, a dog is a dog is a dog, give 'em some Ol' Roy. /sarcasm.

Jeh-Fit, thanks for staring this thread.

I went to a place called Healthy Pet Pantry today. (they have a website) and they set me up with some frozen raw food, some freeze dried stuff and some canned stuff. It was Macallisters.

what I thought was funny is they have Rabbit burger patties and they were the most expensive which surprised me. So I asked and the man there said, "It's hard to catch rabbits!"

and Sluicy! thanks for your info. I hadn't even considered the dogs getting vegetable matter from the stomach or intestines of the animals they bring down.

so thanks again

Rabbit burger patties!

Seriously, good dog food is pretty tasty. All that exotic meat. We had all kinds of canned exotic game cat food at a place I used to work and dang, it was TASTY. Of course, cat food is very rich and fatty. But you probably could serve it as an hors- d'ouevre on crackers and nobody would know the difference! that would be funny... I think I'm gonna do it some time...

Sluicy you are awesome. I love that you tried the food!

The place was pretty cool They had 4 freezers in the place full of the meat.

I have already noticed a change in Zack's coat. Softer and shinier. It was already shiny, but now it doesn't seem so stiff.

I have a friend with a German shepherd/husky mix, and you know how their coats can be rather coarse... he is on a home-cooked diet with lots of locally raised meat, and his coat feels like puppy fur. Sleek and as soft as can be, almost like very thick-shafted mink fur. Coats are such a great indicator of health. I'm so glad you are doing good things for your dogs! You will not regret it and I'm glad I could help a little bit.

This is Dakota, a Decker Terrier, seven moths old, the breed is about 50 years old, descendants are Whippet, Beagle, and Bull Terrier and there are other influences as well, how would you feed the breed? Thanks and if you refer me to any reading would be quite acceptable

here is the link to the place I went to this morning. The man was really helpful. You can order online, but I don't know if they ship out of state.

Good heavens really I'm no expert... really the best method I've found is a lot of Googling and consulting with breeders and organizations dedicated to your breed. Among them you can usually find some good information. Terriers are usually pretty hardy dogs and I'd imagine you could feed them... well... drywall and wood chippings... :slightly_smiling:

Not to make light of your question, though, the breed is new to me and now I'm curious.

I have got him to change from sprinkler heads:)( Pissed the Mrs. off) to kibble and raw chicken. The veggies do not seem to agree with him. He does like olives off the tree in the back yard