Another Disappointing Workout

I just finished my workout and during the workout I wasn’t happy, I workout at home because I have no access to a gym.
I’ve got 2x5kg plates 4x 2.5kg plates 6x1.25kg plates.

The workout I was doing tonight was,
Reps x sets
Deadlift 5x5
Dumbbell Curls 8x3
Lateral raise 5x5
Tricep Curls 8x3

Now the problem I had was this is the first time I’ve ever used deadlifts in a program - I’m sure my form is ok on them that wasn’t my problem I loaded up both my 5kg plates all four of my 2.5’s and four of my 1.25’s and this wasn’t making me even feel like I needed to rest between sets…

So my first question is - if I don’t have enough weight to build muscle with is there any point me doing deadlifts at the moment and no I can’t buy more weights yet my family is fairly poor and I can’t get to a gym.

Second thing was I have added tricep curls and lateral raises to my workout because I’ve always avoided them and they’re my worst lifts I can barely do any weight at all on either.

The problem I got was I was using pretty much all the weight I could manage to lift with correct form and on the lateral raises I didn’t feel like anything was happening and on the tricep curls it just started to feel like it was going to pull a muscle.

So should I be bothering with those exercises?

Thanks.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
I just finished my workout and during the workout I wasn’t happy, I workout at home because I have no access to a gym.
I’ve got 2x5kg plates 4x 2.5kg plates 6x1.25kg plates.

The workout I was doing tonight was,
Reps x sets
Deadlift 5x5
Dumbbell Curls 8x3
Lateral raise 5x5
Tricep Curls 8x3

Now the problem I had was this is the first time I’ve ever used deadlifts in a program - I’m sure my form is ok on them that wasn’t my problem I loaded up both my 5kg plates all four of my 2.5’s and four of my 1.25’s and this wasn’t making me even feel like I needed to rest between sets…

So my first question is - if I don’t have enough weight to build muscle with is there any point me doing deadlifts at the moment and no I can’t buy more weights yet my family is fairly poor and I can’t get to a gym.

Second thing was I have added tricep curls and lateral raises to my workout because I’ve always avoided them and they’re my worst lifts I can barely do any weight at all on either.

The problem I got was I was using pretty much all the weight I could manage to lift with correct form and on the lateral raises I didn’t feel like anything was happening and on the tricep curls it just started to feel like it was going to pull a muscle.

So should I be bothering with those exercises?

Thanks.[/quote]

If you don’t have heavy enough weights to deadlift, I’d suggest getting creative. Do you have anything heavy lying around the house? Or how about looking into sandbag training. It’s cheap and effective. Just start with it on the ground and pick it up. There’s all kinds of articles on here about this kind of “homemade” training.

I couldn’t quite follow your second question. Are you talking about tricep extensions? In any case, the general consensus around here is that compound movements give you more “bang for your buck” rather than the isolation exercises you mentioned. So I’d pick dips and military presses before tri extensions and lateral raises.

This might help, it is about bodyweight training. It is somewhat in the context of increasing one’s vertical; however if you don’t have access to a lot of weights, bodyweight training is a great alternative.

X2 on getting rid of triceps extensions. compound lifts will get you a lot further.

Hustle a little bit, guessing you’re young mow a neighbors lawn or some ones lawn for some quick money. Do odd jobs for friends of the family or relatives. Say you need money for a project your working on. Then go out to like some place that sells used stuff (eg.a pawn shop, salvation army). Usually you can bargain with folks, especially if the stuff looks like its been there forever and buy whatever old weight plates you can.

As you get stronger, buy some more !

Got to think man, do pullups off trees, when easy tie a damn rope around ya waste with all your little weights… Push your dads car around your sub for a half hour for a leg workout.

Find big ass rocks and lift them. Fireman carry a little sister, brother or random kid on your back and then do some ATG squats for sets.

Thanks for the great advice guys!

A bar and 26kg of weight should not be enough to get a good deadlift workout in. Feel good about that.