T Nation

Another Deadlift Thread

This is probably gonna sound stupid but i lost all ability to deadlift my max hasnt moved in 4 months im stuck in a hard place. I use to use leg drive in the deadlift. I now stiff leg everything. I use to think of my arms as just hooks. Now i pull with all back i cant get it right anymore. You dont have to reply im just pissed and ranting.

:expressionless:

What’s your deadlift training looked like for the last 4 months? I’d try totally changing up the rep range. Do like 2 or 3 sets of 10 or do a set of 10 and like 3 sets of 5 afterwards or something like that.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
This is probably gonna sound stupid but i lost all ability to deadlift my max hasnt moved in 4 months im stuck in a hard place. I use to use leg drive in the deadlift. I now stiff leg everything. I use to think of my arms as just hooks. Now i pull with all back i cant get it right anymore. You dont have to reply im just pissed and ranting.[/quote]

I honestly imagine you’re overthinking everything with how often you are trying to change/address/plan/build/revamp your deadlift.

Since deadlifting isn’t building your deadlift, I feel like the logical thing to do is to NOT deadlift. Spend sometime building the deadlift rather than training it. Do some mat pulls, get a safety squat bar or reverse hyper, build your front squat, train romainians, just do something different.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
This is probably gonna sound stupid but i lost all ability to deadlift my max hasnt moved in 4 months im stuck in a hard place. I use to use leg drive in the deadlift. I now stiff leg everything. I use to think of my arms as just hooks. Now i pull with all back i cant get it right anymore. You dont have to reply im just pissed and ranting.[/quote]

I honestly imagine you’re overthinking everything with how often you are trying to change/address/plan/build/revamp your deadlift.

Since deadlifting isn’t building your deadlift, I feel like the logical thing to do is to NOT deadlift. Spend sometime building the deadlift rather than training it. Do some mat pulls, get a safety squat bar or reverse hyper, build your front squat, train romainians, just do something different.[/quote]

what this guy said!

For these situations there are typically 2 explanations
(1) being in a state of local (and/or global) overtraining and/or
(2) inability to replicate “your” good form.

The first calls for rest and the second for figuring out why you can’t hit the proper positions/setup like you used to via trial and error analysis. Very frustrating situation that everyone goes through I think.

I had a similar frustration in the past year. I started a desk job about two years ago and saw my lifts just die slowly over time. What I didn’t realize was I was losing my hip hinge, hamstring length, and glute activation. No amount of warmup/foam rolling seemed to prepare me for my workouts. I took 5 weeks off of hitting barbells and did nothing but kettlebell swings (~1500/week) back in November. Then I started from the beginning with starting strength template. The only thing that isn’t stronger than before is my squat. Still working on that.
Good luck on killing your plateau.