Another Deadlift, How's The Form?

i think its better than the older ones execpt for the first rep down whice i push the weight away from me by mistake…
what do u think???

tnx

You start the pull really high…Drop that ass down as low as possible while keeping the back straight and the knees behind the toes.

Also, don’t forget to lift as fast as possible. This recruits the most muscle fibers and gives you the most bang for your buck.

Looked decent for a newbie :slight_smile:

You definitly stiff leg the thing. You are using to much back. You legs are strait WAY before your lockout. It looks like you are starting the lift with your back. Try to focus on driving your heals into floor to start the lift. It also look like you are pulling strait up. Drive with your heals and pull back a little more. Think about it this way. If you pull back you are using your body weight as leverage. Also, you don’t bend your knees on way down until you are almost to the floor. Use you legs more to lower the weight.

Eric Cressey has three articles on deadlifting. There is a lot of good stuff in these. Read up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1582703&cr=
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392&cr=
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1607555&cr=

Definitely agree with Pemdas, I don’t think he missed much on the pointers. That pull was extremely sub par.

I don’t think he’s stiff legging it at all or otherwise starting too high. His lack of leg drive may be a reflection of the relatively light weight he was using (it seemed light for him). The only glaring problem I saw was the bar travel a bit from his body, especially on the way down. Otherwise it looks decent and adding some weight may expose some other hitches but right now, that wasn’t too bad at all. And lots of great deadlifters start “high”…it’s a deadlift, not a squat. There is a big difference between using leg drive and just being low.

He is stiff legging it on the way down though…again, form and light weight. I don’t see his ass coming up prematurely during his pull as you would expect if he were truly “high”. He just needs a few simple cues to correct some minor problems. Butt down, drive legs, bar close to body, lower the weight with the legs too, etc.

And as soon as he fixes those, and ups the weight, there will be more to fix :slight_smile: As do us all…

Ok, I think it starts ok in terms of hip position. I don’t necessarily think he starts to high, but he definitly ends up locking his legs to early. The bar way too far in front of him on the way down and up.

To the OP. I think your shoulders are in front of the bar. It is hard to tell from the video, but that would explain a lot. You need to keep your shoulders behind the bar, but if you follow my tip about pulling back more the problem should correct itself.

tnx all
i dont think i start to high: 1)shoulder are in front of the bar and shoulder blades are just above the bar
2)shins just touching the bar
3)back is in flat (lumber) position

other told me too that im doing wierd thing when i lower the bar, but i dont understand why: i allways read that the knees should bend just after the bar had past them so im taking my ass back and leaning forward untill the bar pass my knees…isnt that what i should be doing?? isnt it exactly the opposit of what im doing in the end of the “up” part???

pemdas-im trying to put my shoulder baldes above tha bar, isnt that right???

again tnx all for your comments

This is an improvement over your last video, but the descent is a bit choppy, and the bar is still moving too far away from the body. It should slide right down the front of the thighs with just enough knee bend at the end of the movement to get the bar to the floor. You start your descent by moving the bar away from the hips, as if you have to move it out and around your bent knees. Just keep the bar tighter to your body- it looks like you’re purposefully lowering the bar slowly and thinking too much about your form. You want your descent to be quick, smooth and tight to the body.

You are making progress, though, so don’t be discouraged, just needs a little more work. Watch Eric Cressey’s perfect deadlift in part two of the series (link in above post), and then watch yours, this should help considerably.

[quote]arthursaxon wrote:
This is an improvement over your last video, but the descent is a bit choppy, and the bar is still moving too far away from the body. It should slide right down the front of the thighs with just enough knee bend at the end of the movement to get the bar to the floor. You start your descent by moving the bar away from the hips, as if you have to move it out and around your bent knees. Just keep the bar tighter to your body- it looks like you’re purposefully lowering the bar slowly and thinking too much about your form. You want your descent to be quick, smooth and tight to the body. You are making progress, though, so don’t be discouraged, just needs a little more work. Watch Eric Cressey’s perfect deadlift in part two of the series (link in above post), and then watch yours, this should help considerably. [/quote]
tnx bro

[quote]redivote wrote:
tnx all
i dont think i start to high: 1)shoulder are in front of the bar and shoulder blades are just above the bar

other told me too that im doing wierd thing when i lower the bar, but i dont understand why: i allways read that the knees should bend just after the bar had past them so im taking my ass back and leaning forward untill the bar pass my knees…isnt that what i should be doing?? isnt it exactly the opposit of what im doing in the end of the “up” part???
[/quote]

The bar should pretty much almost rub your body on the way down. It is ok to basically drop it just keep your hands on the bar. I agree that you are doing exactly what you did on the way up, but they way you are doing it is wrong. You should be pretty much dragging the bar up your legs. I don’t scrap my shins on the way up like some people, but the bar is definitly against my thighs as soon as it passes my knees.

[quote]redivote wrote:
[/quote]

No, you want to try to keep the shoulders behind the bar. If you are trying to keep them above the bar then most likely they will be a little in front of the bar and this will cause the bar to come forward when you start to pull. You want the bar to be as close to your body as possible.

[quote]redivote wrote:
tnx all

again tnx all for your comments
[/quote]

I gotta agree with some of the earlier posts I do think your hips are too high. You dont want them too low but it looks like your taking alot of your legs outta the lift.

Also you want your shoulders slightly behind the bar, not over it.

My form is F&*cked from using the SM, I went back to the regular BB and my ham’s are sore as hell now.

Your shoulders are too far forward.Lose the shoes, and sit back a little.

You should be fine with that.

guys, what the hell are you talking about, the shoulders should be in front of the bar so that the shoulder blades just above the bar
read what rippetoe wrote:

go to the last page, its written their clearly

[quote]redivote wrote:
guys, what the hell are you talking about, the shoulders should be in front of the bar so that the shoulder blades just above the bar

[/quote]

He is not the only person to ever have put pen to paper on this subject.

[quote]redivote wrote:

[/quote]

According to the guys at Elitefts.com; David Tate, Jim Wendler you want your shoulders slightly behind the bar.

I’m not one to talk as I’m still nailing my form, but I would say your arse is much too high. How far do you go down when Squatting?

lets say i dont start to high, and lets say that my shoulder position is good, the main problem i have is when going down
i dont understand why, i know that the down phase need to be taking the ass back and leaning forward until the bar reaches the knees, what am i doing wrong with that??

[quote]redivote wrote:
lets say i dont start to high, and lets say that my shoulder position is good, the main problem i have is when going down
i dont understand why, i know that the down phase need to be taking the ass back and leaning forward until the bar reaches the knees, what am i doing wrong with that??[/quote]

You let the bar drift too far forward. You want the bar to drop strait down. You let the bar come out about a foot away from your body.